Cornwall Football Forum

CROATIA v ENGLAND

Still 4-1, in injury time. Joe Cole is back on the bench from the dressing room, sporting a huge gash on his forehead (courtesy of Mr Kovacs)

All over, England win 4-1.

A fine performance, capped by a Theo trio!

Croatia came out strong in the first 25-30 mins, but as soon as Theo capitalised on a defensive mistake to make it 1-0, England never looked back. Robert Kovacs sending off early in the 2nd half was a sign of the home side's growing frustration as England control in the game grew and grew.

England punished the 10 men endlessly and played some cracking football in the last 30 mins, culminately in a hat-trick for young Theo, get ready for some Theo-mania over the next couple of days in the media!!

I was seriously worried about this game, and not for one minute did I see this result (& performance) coming. Fair play to Fabio, he got the tactics spot on, mind you, for £6m a year, he should!!!

Guest The Old Man

Hey!!!!!....ECPL, PECK1961, GILLO 10, SPORT LOVER....may I remind you of the topic started by ECPL on Aug 21st....you lot all slating the England team and Fabio Capello for the poor showing in friendlies????

Well you were barking up the wrong tree there......as I said back then....judge the manager when England play competitive matches. :SM_carton_y: ....Now I suspect you all slated the 2-0 win over Andorra on Saturday....but Capello saved Ferdinand because he had a slight back strain, only used Joe Cole as a substitute...but made a great call by bringing him on at half-time :thumbsup:

And totally out-foxed Bilic by letting the Croat assume he would start tonights game with Beckham............He played Theo Walcott and low and behold the young man scored a superbly-taken hat-trick......Now wasn't that absolute genius ??????

You guys must be cringing :P

Or full of false pride???? :SM_carton:

Capello is as successful a club manager as any manager in the game...including Alex Ferguson. FACT

Won the Champions League with different teams and in different countries....just wait till he becomes fluent with his english :smiley20:

Hey!!!!!....ECPL, PECK1961, GILLO 10, SPORT LOVER....may I remind you of the topic started by ECPL on Aug 21st....you lot all slating the England team and Fabio Capello for the poor showing in friendlies????

Well you were barking up the wrong tree there......as I said back then....judge the manager when England play competitive matches. :SM_carton_y: ....Now I suspect you all slated the 2-0 win over Andorra on Saturday....but Capello saved Ferdinand because he had a slight back strain, only used Joe Cole as a substitute...but made a great call by bringing him on at half-time :thumbsup:

And totally out-foxed Bilic by letting the Croat assume he would start tonights game with Beckham............He played Theo Walcott and low and behold the young man scored a superbly-taken hat-trick......Now wasn't that absolute genius ??????

You guys must be cringing :P

Or full of false pride???? :SM_carton:

Capello is as successful a club manager as any manager in the game...including Alex Ferguson. FACT

Won the Champions League with different teams and in different countries....just wait till he becomes fluent with his english :smiley20:

Well, i hate to say i told you so...lol

:thumbsup:

Come on Fabios army!

and here lies the problem one good performance and we are world beaters!

Having slated England of late would just like to say well done fellas, Im off to eat my hat! Get in there!!!!! :yahoo:

And what a shambles that we cant even watch the game, not even highlights, unless we have to fork out more cash on top of the tv license and sky subscribtion :SM_carton:

Oi The Old Man read the post before you pipe up! Yes I slated them and him, deservedly so. And I have congratulated them with this fantastic victory. I am not afraid to voice my opinion I live in the real world and say as I see, thats why I said England were playing shite errr because they were. They played well last night which is excellent. But there is still a long way to go to South Africa and we need to perform CONSISTENTLY well not once every 7 years!

Well done the boys, well done Fabio, The Old Man....well you can eat my arse!!

Oh and has Fabio won as many domestic titles and cup as Fergie? Dont know his recored that closly but I suspect not.

First I would agree that this was a terrific victory for England over a surprisingly inept Croatia. Was it a stroke of genius to include Walcott or the last throw of the dice? Either way it completely bamboozled Croatia who were so scared of his pace that they had to move another player to keep an eye on him. This meant that the inventive Croatia midfield apart from the odd occasion failed to help out their strikers. England’s midfield couldn’t believe their luck and they actually had a field day.

I think the criticism from the press and others was well justified and proved to be right. But credit to the England players and Capello as they most certainly listened and put in a much better performance. Next up is Kazakhstan and yes it is live on ITV.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer but it certainly produced some sunshine at last.

Secondly I did manage to watch the game through some computer web sites. Not to bad but it did get stuck a few times especially when Walcott scored his first goal. Well done to him for listening to Beckham when he told him before the game be greedy and shoot more. (As said on the FA Web site) It certainly had an effect.

I though the funniest channel to watch was CCTV 5. Great if you like your commentary in Chinese. Mind you it beat the constant drivel that we normally hear.

Guest Peppermint

We are all quick to criticise England so it is only fair to say well done for a performance that was the best since probably the 5-1 drubbing of Germany. I thought Croatia were over physical and don't forget their ranked 5th in the rankings. They have never lost in the Stadium so England must have played well and Cappelo go the tactics correct which is something MacLaren never did.

Nobody is saying that everything is now right but give credit where it is due and say things are going in the right direction.

Guest Sport Lover

I critised England cos they were poor - simple as

and yes they played well last night and well done but until we win 4 or 5 games in a row playing good football I woulnt get too excited yet.