Cornwall Football Forum

Players leaving?

Gosh...!!!

Don't dare suggest on this website that any Truro City Players could play at a higher level or you will get shot down in flames [as has happened to me in the past].

Saw an item on Exeter City Forum where they were talking about players they would like to see return to the Club now they are back in League 2 - one mentioned was Marcus Martin.

How dare they...

Guest rower

Myself, and a few others who attended a meeting at the club on Tuesday evening saw those players in question, and others appear after training, and both seemed quite happy, and not looking like they were on their way out.

All the players had time to say hello and bye as they were having their meals.

Sean & David both seemed relaxed as they had a quick chat with us as well.

The ironic thing about players potentially leaving Truro to go to Conference/League 2 level is that they would probably have to take a pay cut, such is the ridiculous level of wages that Truro pay, for the level they play at. :wacko:

Do you know for certain the wages that these players are on,or is it just hear say? But I should'nt worry to much about it as both players are staying and signed new contracts.

KIT.

The ironic thing about players potentially leaving Truro to go to Conference/League 2 level is that they would probably have to take a pay cut, such is the ridiculous level of wages that Truro pay, for the level they play at. :wacko:

Do you know for certain the wages that these players are on,or is it just hear say? But I should'nt worry to much about it as both players are staying and signed new contracts.

KIT.

most of it is hear say......but i can assure you from what i no they would not get a pay rise if they moved to a club like exeter or torquay

KIT.

Yeah, I do have a fair idea of what players are earning at Truro, however that's private information and this isn't the place to quote numbers.

That wasn't the main axis of my argument though, what I was trying to get at is that in Cornish football there seems to be a far greater emphasis on how a player can earn, as opposed to playing for his local side or with their mates. Players seem to have more clubs than Tiger Woods and the sides without outside backing seem to be left behind, and it seemingly co-incided with Truro's new found wealth, 4 or 5 years ago.

Cornish football has almost become a microcosm for what is happening on a national scale in the Premier & Football leagues, where unnatural wealth has been injected into a club and consequently, opposing clubs aren't able to compete by using their natural resources and therefore need further investment to falsify their position.

Oh, and I think we are at stage now in football where a contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

What's new the cream of our local footballers have been moveing to the clubs that pay the highest expences for donkeys years now,and long before Truro found it's new financial backing. To be honest,who can blame them,if they are good enough to make a few quid on a Saturday afternoon for doing something that they enjoy. But one thing is for certain,they are never going to make a fortune even if they play for Truro. Like it or not it seems to be the way of the world even more so these days.

KIT.

I dont think this is anything new in football full stop.

Having lived further up country most of my life I can safely say that most Cornish sides pay less "expenses" or wages than some other clubs of a similiar standard. I think the point made that it is the state of football is quite correct but I also agree that if somebody can earn a few quid doing something they love then good luck to them.

I can still remeber hearing stories of how my uncles were paid in money or beer for turning out to play in the fifties for local sides and pub sides! Its just got a little bit more proffesional now.

The biggest problem is that as with everything else in life now, people like to brag about what they get to try and bring out the green eyed monster in others.

If clubs are stupid enough to pay more than the going rate let them, as the economy slows I fear that a lot of the so called sponsorship money will dry up and players who have chased the money may end up not being wantd or having to eat humble pie to return to their local club!

• 2 months later...