Cornwall Football Forum

STATEMENT FROM PETER SOWDEN

STATEMENT FROM PETER SOWDEN

I feel uncomfortable about posting this but Mr Sowden has asked me to and I feel under the circumstances I am willing to oblige. The statement is regarding the posting made on June 28th on this web site headed ‘St Blazey v Lifton did they play the game?’

Statement

‘I am a referee of long standing (1990) which I was honoured to receive a service and meritorious award for 15 years service refereeing in Cornwall.

It was brought to my attention that the above subject and subsequence messages about the subject especially by the originator, has deeply offended me and I consider it an attack on my character and integrity.

I have therefore made contact with Tony Stead referees appointments secretary of the ECPL and Duchy League. The ECPL who are deeply concerned over the remarks made attributed to me and the legal department of the Referees Association - who’s advice given to me means that I will take this further and it will become a legal matter as it involves defamation of my character.

I intend to make no further comment on this matter. I thank you for allowing me to have this statement posted on this web site.

Peter Sowden (referee)

ECPL. I thought you said the matter was now closed, and now it happens to have been "brought to the attention" of the referee in question!!!!

Whoever said about the game not being played had obviously heard it from somewhere, and there were a few people who were backing him up on the suggestion including a players dad!

Guest ECPL Supporter

Yes but even after ECPL confirmed the game did take place the matter was not dropped. I know Mr Sowden very well, and he is a very respected referee, and not one who should be questioned, i hope we do not lose his services after this

THIS is still a free country and to the best of knowledge no one is above question least of all refs as they tend to make some of the most questionable decision going, but come on this is a fun site so keep it that way if you cant take it dont come on it so show the ref the RED card lol

Jesus, that is pathetic. The alleged statement by the original poster is hardly ground shattering. It was a question. I understand that it may not be the best question, but that is all it was.

So the if the ref sent a player of in error for some reason and got it wrong, can the player sue for deflamation of character?

I'd say that he has little to no chance of getting anything out of this, and it shows that some refs really do have no character. It doesn't help reputations of referees either. Rise above it for everyones sake.

Guest Peppermint

This is very sad that someone is threatening legal action because it could mean the end of a lot of items on the Forum.

Another point if the referee is threatening legal action and has been advised by the Referees Legal Department then surely they should have advised him to make no comment at the present time!

Why oh why is something as simple as a question about one football match turned into this. Unfortunately this country seems to follow the USA in becoming a nation of people who like to resort to litigation over very trivial things.

Hopefully the threat does not go ahead otherwise we will have every referee in the land taking legal action against all and sundry because they do not like what was said about them in a newspaper etc. regarding their refereeing performance.

Im sure he never mentioned who the ref was in the game that was someone else. Its taking it abit far to take legal action for something posted on an opinion based forum.

Also he has come back on here to say that he was wrong and retracted that he said the game didn't take place, surely matter closed?

I would recommend that every user of this forum is careful about what they say so no more cases of legal action can be taken.

I also heard the rumour but now its come clear that the game did take place, why should someone who heard it and asked a question about it be punished if they themselves didnt start/ make up the rumour?

Im hoping my comments on the other post saying that i too heard the rumour wont land me in trouble in this stupid situation.