Cornwall Football Forum

Former Blues’ boss hits back over move

The Packet ©

Former Blues’ boss hits back over move

By Leon Prynn

FORMER Helston manager Symon Winnan has taken issue with reports of his move to Newquay and says press stories have not portrayed his role as it actually unfolded.

"I was disappointed in the way my move to Newquay was put across," said Winnan. "It implied that I was sneaky in going to Newquay to talk to them and in the manner in which I had left when actually I had informed everyone at the club what I was doing.

"On Friday I telephoned Barry Dunstan and had a lengthy conversation with him and it was agreed that I would be allowed the weekend to consider my options and would give him an answer on Monday morning.

"An hour later he called me back and gave me the ultimatum that I needed to tell him by noon on Saturday.

"I thought it over and weighed up my options albeit not with the time scale that I would have liked. I never planned on leaving Helston, it is a good club but with the set up at Newquay and their plans for the future it was a hard thing to turn down. As it was said, I may never have had the chance again.

"I have the full backing at Newquay with other coaching staff, etc, and the set up is awesome!

"Even though I had brought Stuart Massey to the club he could only give 70 per cent commitment which was OK and great for Helston Football Club, but not ideal, and I would have been left with lot of the workload myself, again which I could not commit to.

"At Newquay I am the joint manager with Jim Hilton and that's what I've got to do to manage, that's it. Now Stuart is the manager and I wish him well, but his commitment levels must have gone up. Managers obviously have to be 100% committed or not all.

"This is not a pop back at Helston because we have left on good terms. I just felt after reading the local papers this week and after certain comments and phone calls received that it was not put across right about why I have left and for what reasons. I seriously wish them the best and hope they all do well this season.

"I would like to give a personal mention to Tony Roberts the sponsor last season who was great for me on and off the pitch - top guy - let's hope he's not forgotten, and to Martyn Richards who has stepped down as assistant manager. This man is an absolute diamond and I would not have coped without him last season.

"Finally, to last season's squad it was great to work with them all and I wish them well. And not forgetting Steve Gilbert, the club secretary, who is still in hospital fighting. Keep going and never give up, Steve."

Guest Monty

It was quite clear that the statement made by Mr Dunstan was totally out of context and was of no need, Winno just seen a great vacancy to better himself and so went for it and was rewarded with a great post that in Football terms is and will be a great decision. The statement from Winno was the correct statement and in my eyes the correct way of doing things and i would like to wish him all the best for the coming season. It was always going to be hard work for the New Manager of Helston to come in and build the team again because after all it was Winno and Co that brought in a majority of the players.

All the best Winno

its a sad state of Cornwall football when you have to justify a move to a bigger and better club.

:c: