Cornwall Football Forum

St Blazey v Lifton did they play the game?

After attending the Duchy League meeting last night i had a conversation with someone who asked if i had heard about the St Blazey v Liftton game which didn't take place.

Apparently St Blazey travelled to Lifton in there last game of there season and were awarded the game without a ball being played. It was reported to the ECPL and they confirmed it did take place.

I actually had a conversation with one of the players dads the day after and he was disgusted they had to travel all the way and not being able to play the game.

What should be done about this? (if it is true)

Surely this is not the way teams should be acting.

Is this not an act of cheating?

St Blazey 2 (Dan Putt, Ashley Steele) Lifton 0 Saturday, 05 April 2008

Lifton 1 (Rob Sargeant) St Blazey 4 (Alex Woodcock, Ashley Steele, Steve Wearne, Ross Pinhammer) Saturday 03 May 2008

I'm amazed at some of the bizarre postings on this site. Somebody obvioulsy does not like Lifton.

Well the following appeared as the match report in the Sunday Independent:-

Lifton 1, St Blazey 4

Two goals in each half enabled St Blazey to complete their season with this excellent victory over their basement opponents which guarantees them a top five position and promotion to the top flight.

The visitors started brightly and took a 2-0 half-time lead thanks to goals from Alex Woodcock and Ashley Steele.

Lifton who haven't won a league match all season improved after the half-time break and were rewarded then Rob Sargent reduced the arrears.

But it was St Blazey who went on to complete the victory with two second-half strikes from Steve Wearne and Ross Pinhammer. Lifton still have six matches remaining to somehow prevent their relegation from the league they only joined this season.

Ok, well as it happened this win for St Blazey didn't end up with them getting promotion, but surely no one would have gone to the bother of a report; surely no referee would let himself be party to such a sham either. Curious though that anyone should suggest the game never took place!

Interesting. If this was the case then both Lifton and St Blazey and the referee would have been thrown out by the league and had the CCFA having an investigation.

Needs looking into methinks.

Perhaps Chairman can answer this one.

Well someone better start asking questions ecpl supportor

I was told by one of the players fathers they didn't play the game even though Blazey turned up.

The league was told they also played at Lamerton so is there another club involved in this conspiracy.

Interesting that the result meant Blazey would have gone up instead of Nanpean on goal difference had the league not done a u turn and allowed Bodmin and Padstow to stay in the premier league.

Was told by a secretary of another club at Duchy Meeting on Friday that Ross Pinhammer was in the Bodmin clubhouse the same afternoon he was supposed to have scored. Plot Thickens

Just goes to show what a complete shambles the ecpl is at times.

Nice try, great stuff unsubstansiated rumours. The daft part about it was that the match was played at Lamerton just as you said and not at Lifton. So your conspiracy theory has been blown out of the water by answering your own question. Ask referee Peter Sowden because it was his match.

So the ECPL is a shambles is it?

As a matter of interest the Lifton pitch was unplayable so the game was moved to Lamerton at the last minute.

Hi ECPL, before you start running down people who have the games best interest at heart, the players dad who i spoke to after the game that didn't take place was walking his dogs with mine at 16.30 at St Dennis.

So explain to me why he could be up watching a 2.30pm kick off at lamerton and be at St Dennis before the game had finished and NO he didn't leave early.

Lamerton to St Dennis 45 min to 60min away.

Its not anyone's place to tell the ccfa its a case of the ECPL getting its house in order.

THE GAME DIDN'T TAKE PLACE. FUNNY HOW SO MANY NOT CONNECTED HEARD THE SAME STORY.

Johnie be incredibly careful what you accuse. What you are saying is that referee Pete Sowden is lying along with both clubs. I'm afraid if the ECPL are happy with the match taking place then it must be up to others to make a complaint to the CCFA.

It has been confirmed to me by the league that on the Friday Lifton said their pitch was unplayable. It was agreed that the match should be moved to Lamerton. When the teams turned up at Lifton both teams went as a convoy to Lamerton. Even then the referee was none to happy for the game to go ahead due to the long grass. It would appear that he told the teams that if anyone got injured it was the clubs responsibility not him as referee. The referee contacted the league before the match started and after the match had finished.

Perhaps your mate and his son got to Lifton to late and came home or was he even selected

I have spoken to the ECPL who are happy that the game took place at Lamerton, so why should they have any complaints. I can only go by what they tell me and not some rumours and as I said, yes it is up to you or someone else to make a complaint to the CCFA.

If this is one great conspriracy then everyone must have been sucked in So please make your complaint to the CCFA. By not making the complaint lessens your argument considerably in fact you wouldn't have an argument.

There again Chairman has been conspicuous by his absence on this one.

You could be right, but with the referee saying it was played, both clubs and the league saying the same I don't know where we go from here.

In any case this was two months ago so why hasn't anyone picked this up before.

I am not syaing who is right or wrong but if the ECPL tell me they are haoppy then it is up to others to make the complaint.

Enlighten us Dave

I can understand what you are saying ECPL, but i am not contacting the CCFA because its doesn't matter to me about either club.

Just the fact some clubs struggle to get teams especially towards the end of season but still have the committment and honesty to play.

Whats worrying here is both teams and the official let themselves and the game down and thats very sad.

I wasn't there has you mentioned but the dad i spoke to watched every game for 2 seasons so no reason to doubt him.

It's water under the bridge now, just wanted to see what reaction things like this would have if people didn't know.

Its common knowledge locally but like all things is now yesterdays news

Guest ECPL Supporter

So do you put your hand up to insinuating i asked a stupid question about the 2 legs and it was in fact you who got it wrong?

When i was playing for Lanreath towards the end of the season the "rumour" going around was the Lifton pitch was unplayable so the game was moved to Lamerton where this was also found to be unfit to play. Then like i stated that the result etc was decided on with both clubs and the ref signing the form.

I would like to add that in no way am i accusing any club or ref of anything and am only stating what i have heard... i also understand that rumours often get sent around without any truth in them. I would however like to know if the game really did take place and if not then im afraid both clubs need to be punished severely.

I'm afraid the match did take place. Two league officials have stated that the match took place.

I would suggest this subject is now dead and buried.

Was this apology made after the league gave you short shrift over your continued slur on the two clubs and the referee. You had enough opportunities to retract your rediculous allegations but you didn't.

We can and do make mistakes but when you go this far then you can find yourself in deep trouble. I wonder if the retraction is too late. Have you given a written apology to both Lifton and St Blazey and most of all the referee Pete Sowden.

The thing is now is that to the best of knowledge THERE WILL NOT BE A NEW TEAM JOINING THE ECPL. It is to late as this happened after the AGM.

What was funny was St Dennis attempting to join the ECPL. Come on we can all enjoy a laugh but this is stretching it a bit far.

We have something like 6 1/2 weeks to prepare for the new season lets concentrate on that.

Firstly ECPL i wasn't given a short shrift by the league, i thought it was the best thing to do becuaue frankly i don't give a toss about the ECPL.

ECPL league lost its respect long before i got involved.

You have enough problems with Devon teams taking over the league and wouldn't want to be embarrased and left with egg on your faces over the Lifton and Blazey incident.

St Dennis is a great club and have nothing to do with this so please keep your thoughts to yourself, although the club enguired at the end of last season it was told the members wouldn't have them back.

Please remember St Dennis was a founder member, not that means anything these days!!!!

Chairman did you follow up my message of where i got it from?

When Tamarsdie announced their resignation from the ECPL, three teams got on the phone to the league to enquire about joining the league. St Dennis, St Austell and Camelford who made an enquiry to see if they could be promoted to the Premier Division. Funny that.

You didn't ask you told us 'THE GAME DIDN'T TAKE PLACE. FUNNY HOW SO MANY NOT CONNECTED HEARD THE SAME STORY'.

ECPL......Dave or Mike whoever you are, you are happy the game took place and have said you investigated, thats all us MENIALS can ask.

I suggest we leave it there don't you.

It originally started out as an enguiry that the game never took place.

You have threatened me with the CCFA and bringing the game into dispute, when all i wanted was an answer to a rumour that was going around.

You have had others saying the same thing that the game never took place or you wouldn't have made some investigations would you?

God only knows what the repercussions would be if you had got it wrong.

Pitch not marked, grass too long or couldn't raise a side we will never know?

Guest ECPL Supporter

Pitch not marked, grass too long or couldn't raise a side we will never know?

Thought you had accepted the game did take place?

It makes me laugh to think where these rumours come from?? Was it just someone getting their wires crossed or on purpose. It did manage to reach Lanreath but it took ages for anything to be posted on here, which is why i kept quiet, as wasnt there.

ECPL thats a bit disrespectful of St Dennis given a man in your postion.

They are a good club that had hard times of late thats all, and im sure most people would agree, there is no need to make remarks about that on a forum like this.