Cornwall Football Forum

Parkway 2 Didcot 1 A vital 3 points but....

My, what hard work Parkway made of sealing a big 3 points. Always on top and they missed several chances despite not being in exhilarating form.  A Ryan Richards or Ben Seymour would have seen Parkway romp home. Around halfway through the first half a delightful finish from an angled drive from Purrington saw Parkway take the lead. A fairly soft penalty on 66 minutes, got Didcot on level terms. Throughout the second 45 chances came and went, with Dylan Jones being  particularly wasteful upon coming off the bench. It was nice to see Reece Thomson's get the winner from within the six yard box as he reacted quicker to a loose ball. A fine shift from the front man. He constantly held up the ball, brought others into play and was hard working throughout. A deserved and critical win.

Having also seen PPFC at Home park last Thursday too their failings are crystal clear. Some good approach play but often the final ball isn't there and when it is the lack of a striker who can finish regularly isn't. The options available are just not good enough. I like Jack Crago, but he is a winger not a striker and looks short on confidence. A very good player when on form coming in from out wide. Thomson showed lots of promise at the Ashes and, notwithstanding a spirited showing last night, is of a good WL standard, but not at the level to score regularly in the Southern Premier League. Dylan Jones is not ready to be a regular starter yet and Matt Wright is woefully short of the standard required. 

One player than always impresses me is the industry of Callum Hall. A seven or eight out of ten player, at least every time I see him. Lane, Pakes, Rose, Crago, Garside and the veteran White all quality players. It is a shame we haven't had the chance to see if Jack Bray-Evans has what it takes for this level, as I've loved watching him play at his previous clubs. Decent recruitment in the summer could put Parkway back on track. Failure to bolster the attacking options could see them struggling. An interesting few months ahead.

Lastly, the patches of bald turf currently leave the Bolitho pitch looking like an unfinished jigsaw, but what a monster effort by grounds people to get the game on last night. It played pretty well too, even when the last 25 minutes was played in driving rain! Well done all!