Cornwall Football Forum

Camborne School of Mines 4 Porthleven Reserves 1

With the incessant rain once again playing havoc with the football fixture list (global warming anyone?) I put my faith in plastic and wandered up the road to the 3G pitch at Falmouth School for this Division One West clash. (It might be 4G, I am unclear on the number of G).

Plastic pitches have their critics but at least it meant some football was played, even if the ball did seem to run away quite quickly in the corners. But, rather than the basic 'cage' which surrounds many artificial surfaces, this one has a decent balcony to watch from, and who doesn't like a football balcony? 

It certainly gave an elevated view of an entertaining game and, once again, I was surprised by the level of quality on show, just as I was when watching Penryn v St Just in the division above a few weeks ago.

I don't know whether it's better coaching or the influence of the tippy-tappy style so prevalent in professional football these days, but players at this level seem much more prepared to at least try to pass the ball than was the case when I played at an even lower level back in the day. Yes, it was in black and white and on mudheaps in those days!

CSoM certainly played a possession-based style, which was easy on the eye but hard on the nerves at times. The visitors could be a bit more direct but still worked hard to keep the ball when they could. Porthleven were also causing the hosts lots of problems from set-pieces and pulled the game back to 1-1 from a corner in the first half after CSoM had taken an early lead from the penalty spot. At least, I heard it was a spot-kick. I have to admit I missed the first few  minutes.

The hosts were back in front before the break when a nice pass from the left allowed a forward to get in behind, beat the keeper and slot the ball home.

Porthleven should have been level early in the second half, forcing a defender into heading against his own bar and then seeing an attacking header fly just over as they caused more problems from corners.

But the leveller didn't come, CSoM eased their patient way back into the game, and then squeezed home a third goal to extend their lead.

That took the wind out of Porthleven's sails for a while but they regathered themselves and pushed forward for a goal that would bring them back into the game, albeit without ever looking as threatening as they had at the start of the half.

The points were sealed for Camborne School of Mines when a speedy substitute, possibly called Toby, raced down the right wing leaving defenders trailing in his wake, and then guided the ball home for the hosts' fourth.

It meant the final score was a bit more lopsided than the action on the pitch warranted but the lesson is that you have to take your chances.

I was grateful to be able to find a game on close to home and even more pleased that it was a decent match to watch. Once again, it was a good advert for St Piran's League football and was played in a great spirit. All in all, a pleasant way to spend a footballing Saturday afternoon.