Cornwall Football Forum

Torquay United 2 Aveley 2 - A few reflections!

A succession of bad owners and now this! Having spent 20 years in Torbay and surrounds i still have a soft spot for the Gulls. I hope Devon's friendliest pro club can survive.

'Solidarity' ticket for Saturdays home game with Aveley  bought, as I know there's no chance of the Truro City game being on!

A decent game. Not the highest quality, bar the 'worldie' equaliser from Aveley, which I think they deserved. Two close range finishes had the Gulls 2-0 in front, but it is clear why the Gulls have one win in twelve. Once Aveley pulled a goal back deep into first half injury time from the spot the  Yellows seemed to lose confidence and impetus. The 35 yard wonder goal had the visitors level midway through the second period. What a strike. A goal of the season contender!

I think once Aaron Jarvis gets match sharp the Gulls will be more potent up front. He was being manhandled all afternoon by the Millers back line. A fair outcome and good to see a fair few supporters of other clubs showing solidarity with Torquay - especially from Argyle. The Gulls turned out in their numbers and were superb all afternoon and it was good to see an explicit appreciation of such from the United players. It was so good to feel a togetherness and connection between players and fans, which has been entirely absent following the dismal management of Gary Johnson these last 18 months or more.

Having spent around two decades in South Devon with the Gulls as my nearest professional club I desperately want them to survive. So many afternoons spent on the 'Pop Side' and the promotion winning side Leroy Rosenoir put together still brings  joyful memories. It is what football can do to you! 

I read this morning that £5.00 from every away ticket bought by Gulls fans for the Weymouth v Gulls game next Saturday will be donated to the Devon club. A smashing gesture from the Terras.  Good luck Gulls moving forward.