Cornwall Football Forum

Great work Bude Town groundsmen!

As per header. I wasn’t expecting to see a game today but the pitch at Broadclose was in a really good condition, so we got a decent SWPL offering this afternoon!

FT Bude Town 1 Penzance 3

An enjoyable game which the visitors deservedly won. They were impressive right from the off! PZ tried to play a pleasing style of football throughout. It was really good to see (as a neutral) Two early penalties saw the game at 1-1.

A Hopcroft penalty gave Bude the lead against the run of play. The equalising PZ penalty came after a melee and several attempts to force the ball home. Unbelievably PZ couldn’t score! A penalty award and a red card flourished. I didn’t’ see anything to warrant the dismissal! Indeed, the dismissed home player had a notable cut lip. A strange one indeed. Trudgeon netting the 12 yarder with ease.

On around 43 minutes a vicious strike was pushed  onto the crossbar but the ball fell kindly for Silas Sullivan to force home.

About 7 minutes into the second half it was 3-1 to PZ. A nice move finished off by Tyler Tonkin with a somewhat fortuitous spin on the ball helping it to nestle in the bottom corner of the net. With another Bude  player being given a red card the contest was over, but PZ were better all day even when 11 versus 11. Some stylish football played by the visitors who also hit the crossbar and went close on a number of occasions!  The result could, and should, have been more emphatic.

Two sendings off for Bude will mean raised eyebrows from some. There were some yellow cards too, but this was not a particularly testy game. Maybe the officials were right, but I didn’t see either red card as being warranted. Are Bude a victim of their reputation (justified or not) as a physical side? Hmmm. 

Good luck to both sides moving forward,

13 hours ago, James_Wright said:

Hear hear - massive congratulations and thanks to Bude for getting the game on.

Not much to add to this excellent summary, but I've posted our report on the Results thread

Your report much appreciated. Really enjoyed watching your PZ boys play - an easy on the eye approach yesterday.