Cornwall Football Forum

Text from "Mate" Bob?

Has anyone else had a text from their mate "Bob" telling them about this Trophy supplier I was asking him about. He even gives me his discount code - the naughty man.

It's a strange text as, instead of "delete" as an option, I get "Link" which takes it to a website.

Now call me an old cynic, (I've been called worse) but I just don't know a Bob, and I haven't asked anyone about a trophy site. I think it's just an unsolicited advert.

I know I'm a grumpy old git, but I don't really want texts from companies trying to sell me stuff.

I only hope that they didn't get my 'phone number direct from any football organisation or the organisation could be in very big trouble under the Data Protection Act.

I asked Bob if he had that £50 he owed me. :lol:

Strangely enough...............I'm still waiting for his reply!

Companies can obtain your details from the club listings held within each county's handbook so it is a simple, yet laborious, process to trawl through the club records and either text or email. Anyone can get a copy of each county's booklet, although if you are not affiliated or involved as a referee, you pay a small fee. The various County football associations would not necessarily be aware that the information had been obtained.

And without wishing to sound too nerdy at this late hour - I'm not sure the Data Protection Act would cover this particular situation - the text didn't start with something like "Hi Darren...etc...etc", ie because you weren't identified, the firm has probably sidestepped the Act.

And SF - I can't believe someone with your wise experience and grey hairs started asking yourself those questions???

I only hope that they didn't get my 'phone number direct from any football organisation or the organisation could be in very big trouble under the Data Protection Act.

Various organisations hold and produce points of contact for sports clubs as i have found out when my phone number apperared on google one day! Try this yourself and see.

I asked Bob if he had that £50 he owed me. :lol:

Strangely enough...............I'm still waiting for his reply!

Companies can obtain your details from the club listings held within each county's handbook so it is a simple, yet laborious, process to trawl through the club records and either text or email. Anyone can get a copy of each county's booklet, although if you are not affiliated or involved as a referee, you pay a small fee. The various County football associations would not necessarily be aware that the information had been obtained.

And without wishing to sound too nerdy at this late hour - I'm not sure the Data Protection Act would cover this particular situation - the text didn't start with something like "Hi Darren...etc...etc", ie because you weren't identified, the firm has probably sidestepped the Act.

And SF - I can't believe someone with your wise experience and grey hairs started asking yourself those questions???

I understand a bit about the DP Act. Just slightly concerned that someone may be passing on a file of clubs details, which certainly contravenes the Act.

I tried to sign Bob. Doesn't seem too interested.