Cornwall Football Forum

Probus notice of withdrawal

:lol: It seems that Probus are unlikely to field a team in next seasons Duchy League,i for one are glad and sad that this has happened,glad because they played ringers against us in the last few promotion deciders last season that cost us a place in Division 2 by one point,but also sad if it happens, that another Junior side has gone.

It seems that a lot of clubs are struggling to field reserve sides,is it the computer age when most youngsters would rather sit on their backsides on Saturdays playing x box,Playstation etc,than play football for their local side?

It would be a shame as at Grampound we always look forward to our local derbies with our nearest neighbour. I know that Probus have struggled to put out a reserve team in the Duchy League this year, but in a village that size it should not really be a problem. Perhaps their practice of bringing in players from all over rather than trying to make the club a real part of their community is backfiring, as many locally have predicted. Their East Cornwall team is also having to rebuild after losing a number of players since last season - again, players get fed up when replaced by those who are "brought in".

It would be a shame to see Probus Duchy League side fold, although they've only provisionally given notice of their withdrawal doesnt mean that they will fold for sure.

With Tregony and Veryan folding in recent seasons, as well as Sticker Reserves we've had quite a few sides near to Grampound fold. You would hope as AJW says with a village the size of Probus they would be able to keep their second team going.

Guest artificiosus

there are plenty of youngsters out there wanting to play football but alot of people want to go out drinking friday nite and maybe r to hung over on the saturday.(just a theory)

maybe clubs should advertise there traing nights bet teams would get a few more turning up then.

An idea, Arti'. What if clubs had their training nights on Friday, football at junior level and maybe even higher, would cease to exist, wouldn't it?

I know when I was a teenager (many, many years ago) I lived and breathed football. Only once did I turn up for a game pissed. (a Sunday morning game) Thank-you RAF St Mawgan for taking pity on me.

Result Masons Arms 2 - 1 St Mawgan Goalkeeper for Masons Arms, Pablo.