Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall visit Devon for the second phase of the Brunel Cup (Boys U-16 & U-18s)

It was the second stage of the Brunel Cup today which is a competition devised by the Devon and Cornwall FAs so that representative games can start being played again.

On the back of the Cornwall Women beating Devon 5-2 recently, it was now the boys under-16 and under-18s to become involved.

The under-16s match finished 2-2, with Devon coming back from being two down after Mousehole’s Stefan van Blerk had scored both the Duchy’s goals. The good news however was that Cornwall went onto win a very tight penalty shoot-out 5-4.

Onto the u-18s match, and another tight encounter!

Devon took the lead seconds before the half-time break, and if I’m honest it was difficult to see where any equalising goal was going to come from for Cornwall. However with about 10 minutes remaining Leo Best, who had not long before come on as one of the rolling substitutes, crossed from the right and Harry Phillips powered in an unstoppable header.

For a moment it looked that we might grab a winner, but it wasn’t to be and so we had another shoot-out. This one though was nothing like the other with Devon winning it 3-0. Probably the less said about the Cornwall penalties the better, although credit has to go to the Devon keeper for his saves.

So after 3 rounds it’s 2-1 to Cornwall.

I had intended being there this afternoon purely as a spectator, but was called up as a very late replacement to commentate for Piran Films. I’m sure Mark will get some footage out as soon as he can, but with two games to edit it may be a day or two yet. Keep an eye out on Twitter and on this forum for any news on that.