Cornwall Football Forum

Keegan in shock Toon return

(Taken from sky sports)

Kevin Keegan is returning to Newcastle United as manager, the club have confirmed.

Keegan enjoyed great success in his first stint at St James' Park between 1992 and 1997, leading the club back into the Premier League and taking them to the brink of the title.

The former England manager became a favourite with the Toon Army during his Magpies playing career and continues to be held in the highest regard on Tyneside.

Keegan has been out of football after leaving his post as Manchester City boss in 2005, but has been tempted back by the challenge of again leading a club he clearly holds close to his heart.

A brief statement on the club's official website read: "Kevin Keegan is returning to Newcastle United as manager."

The Magpies have been searching for a new manager following the departure of Sam Allardyce last week, whose reign lasted for just 24 games.

Challengers

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp was initally strongly linked with the post, but he elected to turn the opportunity down to stay on at Fratton Park.

And Keegan has now been handed the task of again making the club Premier League title challengers under new owner Mike Ashley.

Life-long Newcastle supporter Ashley took over in the summer, shortly after the appointment of Allardyce by previous chairman Freddy Shepherd, and has since admitted he should have brought in his own man immediately.

Keegan inherits a side 11th in the table, on a run of four successive defeats and still suffering from the defensive problems which have been their Achilles heel for all of the Premier League era.

He is likely to be given funds to strengthen the side during the January transfer window, with a busy time expected in the North East.

Im not sure how good a move this is by Newcastle but i guess time will tell :unsure:

As usual the toon are being romantic about keegan returning they say you should never go back not to sure myself if its a good thing or a bad thing only time will answer that question but after kk last time in the toon at least we can be sure it will be eventfull :P

Is alan shearer going to be his number 2 like the press have been saying he will if kk got the job I heard on the radio earlier that shearer would galvanise the squad as a number 2 but didn't he fail in that task as captain when newcastle never won anything why will it be different now???????

Guest Sport Lover

Good move for Keegan and Newcastle. Bringing in Sheaerer as a coach/assistant is another good move with the view for Shearer to take over in a few years time. Continuity is how most of the big clubs gain success.

The fans love Keegan and the fans wanted him so at least they got what they wanted so they should be happy now.

Good move for Keegan and Newcastle. Bringing in Sheaerer as a coach/assistant is another good move with the view for Shearer to take over in a few years time. Continuity is how most of the big clubs gain success.

The fans love Keegan and the fans wanted him so at least they got what they wanted so they should be happy now.

You could be right there Sport Lover but football fans are very fickle now days, They all want success and if they dont get it then they soon turn, I remember when Alan Pardew was in charge at West Ham, He took us into the premiership in only a season and a half then to an F.A cup final and europe yet when results were going against us it all went pete tong fella, I myself would have kept Pardew for a few more seasons to give the bloke a chance but it was not to be, Curbs has come in and if we had gone down i just wonder how the fans would have reacted then, As it is West Ham are having a decent season so far although with the money they have spent i feel there is room for improvement, I think a good example of a board keeping a manager is Everton just look at them over the last few seasons, Up and down like a yoyo but now they are right up there as are Aston Villa although the test is what happens next year with those clubs, Are they just having an amazing season or is it permanent ?.

Only time will tell ?.

I still think it will be a while before anybody can challange the big 3 and i say the big 3 (Arsenal,Chelsea,Man u) because for me Liverpool have been behind them for some time now.

Guest Sport Lover

Success this year for Newcastle would be top half but next year the fans would be looking for European football. I cannot see anyone to break the top 2 (Man u and Arsenal) Chelsea next and then fourth is up for grabs as Liverpool are going through an unsettled run.

At least Keegan is exciting in most things he does and has been 'successful' he probably is the only one that doesnt see it as a poison Chalace.

Guest postman pat

have you seen the pictures on skysports of the newcastle fans queing for the match tonight.just goes to show how fickle some fans are.would not even have left their armchair before todays announcement.i thought the geordies were suppose to be loyal. to quote the great jim royal "my arse"how long before keegan spits the dummy again.this is the same keegan when interviewed a few years ago said he would never manage newcastle again :blink: lets enjoy the rollercoaster while it lasts :thumbsup: one thing with keegan he is entertaining. :drink:

Keegan spent shite loads at Newcastle, Fulham and Man City and ran after achieving sod all. And he was rubbish for England. Total crap. Keegan wont last 18 months and Shearer though was a great player, has no coaching experience or qualifications. Plus Shearer being the man he is will probably fall out with Keegan soon. Watch it go further tits up.

Keegan spent shite loads at Newcastle, Fulham and Man City and ran after achieving sod all. And he was rubbish for England. Total crap. Keegan wont last 18 months and Shearer though was a great player, has no coaching experience or qualifications. Plus Shearer being the man he is will probably fall out with Keegan soon. Watch it go further tits up.

from what i remember he did well at fulham didnt he?????

i think this is a joke though in my eyes 'big sam' is a far better manager then keegan and would of done a far better job if given reasonable time in charge of the club

Can't see it being a long term thing.

I think that it will stabilise the club in the short term,sell a lot of shirts and tickets but Keegan cannot take the pressure that managers in the Premiershiop have to withstand.It will give Mike Ashley(or whatever he's called) time to get the club structure in place and look around for a long term guy.

Chris Coleman has worked with Keegan before and he only recently resigned from his job in Spain so could he be on his way to St.James's Park as well?

Guest stealth

SAM ALLARDYCE WOULD HAVE LED NEWCASTLE TO BIGGER THINGS BUT IT DONT HAPPEN OVER NITE HE SET OUT A 3 TO 5 YEAR PLAN TO DO THIS, BUT THE TROUBLE IS THE PREMIERSHIP HAS BECOME A BIG MONEY BUISNESS AND THE PEOPLE WHO PUMP THE MONEY IN WANT INSTANT SUCCESS. IF CLUBS WANT THAT THERE BEST BET IS TO HIRE (PAUL DANIALS) I EXSPECT HE COULD PULL A FEW GOOD RESULTS OUT OF A HAT STRAIGHT AWAY.

STEALTH :ninja::ninja: :ninja: