Cornwall Football Forum

EBANKS-BLAKE goes to another lower league club for £1.5m

EBANKS-BLAKE goes to another lower league club for £1.5m

Before anyone gets carried away about Argyle being a selling club, Ebanks-Blake had written into his contract that if a club came in for him with a bid of £1.5m then he was allowed to talk to them. Wolves did and he has gone. Argyle offered him a deal that would have made him their highest ever paid player with Argyle.

It would appear that some players have no loyalty or ambition, their loyalty is the pound in their pocket. But Wolves who!!!!!

Guest Sport Lover

Who is more likely to get promoted to the premiership in the future? Arglye or Wolves?

Neither really but Wolves have a slim chance one day

Pity Ebanks-blake didnt go to QPR that would of been funny

I feel sorry for Sturrock , he now has to start all over again. As far as Wolves are concerned if they hadn't scraped a late winner to beat non league Cambridge in the cup they most probably would have sacked manager Mick McCarthy. They haven't won a game since 1st December.

Queens Park Rangers are hoovering up everything in sight but I don't think have a chance of getting promotion. Likewise with Leicester they are still looking at the drop depsite buying Hayles and others.

Foootball is a 'funny old game' because everyone seems to want to try and buy promotion. There can only be a tiny amount of winners a massive amount of no chancers and a very few who get relegated.

I wish Ebanks-Blake well Crikey if it goes on like this we be able tio finish the stadium.

Guest Bushranger

When will folk realise that plymuff are a championship side at best,their chairman has even come out and said it,when will they stop finishing the stadium as an excuse,they never have and never will be able to attract enough top players to the area for geographical and financial reasons,when thay have attracted players of quality like buszaky or ebanks blake they let them go too easy,why did they put that clause in blakes contract?says it all really..im with you sport lover ,thought the superhoops would have got blake,wouldnt mind norris or halmosi though,whats in their contracts?

Guest danny-efc-pafc

i can only see plymouth going down hill from here. blake is been on good form this season for argyle their only recognizable goal scorer, so they are gonna struggle for goals cant see chadwick banging many in. i can see why blake moved to wolves yeh maybe for money but wolves have plans for future i think always around play offs at end off season and plymouth wont get promoted for long term

Guest Man on the Post

No need for Plymouth to spend big money, just look at Reading. They finished 8th in the premiership last season and currently lie 13th. Their team that beat Liverpool in December cost £1,225,000, plus two undisclosed fees (Gunnarsson and Doyle). It all comes down to coaching, tactics and desire. :thumbsup:

Guest helstons14

Argyle's selling antics may have you pessimists doubting but at the end of the day Argyle are sitting in a great position in the league with 5million funds ready for use.

As regards to Hayles, any fee for a 36 year old who has struggled for goals this year is good business, there is no guarentee Gosling will make it big, look at Samba, he didn't even feature on a regular basis anyway. As for SEB it is unfortunate but he cost far less than that figure to maybe two or three SEB's can be brought for that money. Players that uncommitted are better off elsewhere anyway.

Sturrock is no fool, he is in the process of bringing in two of Luton's leading performers and just signed Folly who is a class act and with a transfer kitty ready who's to say Argyle can't maintain this form.

As for Argyle being a championship team blah blah blah so were Reading and Wigan and look what happened to them. You QPR fans may have lots of money but its Argyle who have the best immediate chance of Premiership football so ssssssshhhhhhh

It would appear that Saltash lad Ryan Dickson has signed for Brentford after a loan period. Also Argyle have signed French under 21 international Yoann Folly. he had him at Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday.

There is an excelent article about Sturrock, the Board and Ebanks-Blake on the Argyle web site.

Guest Bushranger

Wigan had heavy investment for new stadium and the team from dave whelan owner of jjbsports,john madjeski bank rolled the new reading stadium which was built so that another tier could be built on top ,increased gates and therfore revenue plus a good manager got reading where they are,reading without huge investment on new stadium would be back at elm park(i think thats what it was called)in front of 5000 people in the lower leagues,true argyle are investing in their stadium but will only fill it for the odd fa cup match when all the hangers on have a day out.

5million ,is that for players and or the stadium ,they better spend it on the team after losing the players they have after all the new seats they put in wont be used will they?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Guest postman pat

bushranger. watford had already agreed terms with ebanks blake with the 1.5 million clause in his contract so hollowords hands where tied if he wanted to sign the player.argyle got 18months (most of which injured) and made 1.2 million profit not bad business for a club without 3 multi millionaires trying to wake a club thats been struggling for to many years to mention.dont go counting your chickens just yet because momey does not necessarily buy sucess just look at newcastle.

as true argyle fans know any ambitions we have as fans are limited by our budget we are not going down the road of luton or leeds or notts forest.we are knocking on the door of promotion not relegation.this is but a minor setback which sturrock has the ability to put right onwards and upwards.

COME ON YOU GREENS :c::clapper::thumbsup::yahoo: :drink:

Guest Sport Lover

Money might not bring sucess to Qpr unless its done carefully but you have a better chance to get into the Premierleague with money than without. Qpr used to have money without any rich owners its was only the sale of Les Ferdinand (25/30 goals a season) that really began the fall of a once very strong QPR club. Remember we used to be in the premiership Arglye never have and probably never will. So shhhhhhhhhh yourself

Guest helstons14

Money might not bring sucess to Qpr unless its done carefully but you have a better chance to get into the Premierleague with money than without. Qpr used to have money without any rich owners its was only the sale of Les Ferdinand (25/30 goals a season) that really began the fall of a once very strong QPR club. Remember we used to be in the premiership Arglye never have and probably never will. So shhhhhhhhhh yourself

Used to be in the premiership? so what use is that now?

Here you all are critisizing Argyle for selling players, yet you attribute the downfall of your club to a player sale. Who's higher in the table at the moment then?

Guest Bushranger

bushranger. watford had already agreed terms with ebanks blake with the 1.5 million clause in his contract so hollowords hands where tied if he wanted to sign the player.argyle got 18months (most of which injured) and made 1.2 million profit not bad business for a club without 3 multi millionaires trying to wake a club thats been struggling for to many years to mention.dont go counting your chickens just yet because momey does not necessarily buy sucess just look at newcastle.

as true argyle fans know any ambitions we have as fans are limited by our budget we are not going down the road of luton or leeds or notts forest.we are knocking on the door of promotion not relegation.this is but a minor setback which sturrock has the ability to put right onwards and upwards.

COME ON YOU GREENS :c::clapper::thumbsup::yahoo::drink:

Believe me P Pat im not counting any chickens,ive supported QPR long enough to know that anything can happen at loftus road but they have a better chance of improving now than they had 6 months ago when they were close to going bust and yes we have been struggling for a few years or so but usually in the same leagues as pafc so i guess that means they have been struggling too. I thought ebanks blake went to wolves?????

Guest danny-efc-pafc

ok use all are all talking about how bad argyle are going to get which i think its a case of its gna get worse b4 it gets better, who is gna score goals for them on a regular basis? ebanks blaek gone hayles gone i cant see any argyle striker other than them to banging in 20+ goals a season, fallon been a flop, chadwick is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!

I was in the crowd for the Burnley match. It was the worst performance I have seen by the men in Green. The team were without a doubt, in need of a quality striker - and soon.

They only had 1 shot and when you compare that to the victory over Hull the previous week (at least 12+ shots) you can see how disappointing the match was.

Fallon came on late and was, as always, ineffective, as was the other 'strikers' playing. You could see that they (the forwards) have not been playing together long as they had no understanding between them. Halmosi was the most ineffective I have seen him.

I just hope that a quality striker will come down to the west country or else I can see the other stars the club has left also deciding to leave for 'better' clubs.

Damn this transfer window!

Guest Bushranger

Who is the argyle left back kernowman?is he any good?we need one,if you tell me i'll get on the blower to mr de canio and let him know ,if he is any good he will have a clause in his contract like ebanks blake!!

Guest postman pat

bushranger if you read my reply you would have noticed that i said when argyle signed ebanks blake they where competing with watford for his signature.thats why they had to agree to the 1.5 million clause because watford had already agreed it with him.this proves that players are prepared to come to argyle rather than play for premiership clubs,as watford were at the time.

over the last 5 to 6 seasons we have been improving every year as we are on course to do this year. we will never be a big club that can compete with the monied teams but we are solvent and in with a chance of promotion to the promise land.granted an outside chance but being a qpr far you will appreciate more than most as supporters we are all dreamers.we have had some bad times now we are enjoying some good times.sturrock has found some gems before and i am sure he will find some again :smiley20:B)

COME ON YOU GREENS

Guest postman pat

dont forget bushranger points make prizes.dont go shouting until you are promoted or above argyle.this will not happen for a while i think,money or no money :c:

Guest Bushranger

Taken from bbc sport web site,

Norris' absence fuels exit talk

Could Plymouth be ready to accept an improved offer for David Norris?

The future of Plymouth Argyle's David Norris is in doubt after he was absent from a club event in the build-up to Saturday's FA Cup tie at Portsmouth.

Neither Norris or Argyle manager Paul Sturrock were at a news conference held on board HMS Albion on Monday.

It is believed the pair were in discussions after Ipswich Town made a second offer for the 26-year-old midfielder last week.

Earlier this month Ipswich had a £1.5m bid turned down by the Pilgrims.

Maybe norris has seen the light too!!!or should i say jumped ship!!!

By the way tms,when exactly did i say that QPR would be promoted or get to play offs this season???eh?eh?

I don't think its a case of seeing the light or jumping ship. Everyone and eveything has its price. The boy comes from that part of the world. His dad has now put his tuppence worth in and Argyle will need every penny they can get because there is a 50% sell on clause, so Argyle need the cash.

Argyle got Norris from Bolton in 2002 for £25,000. The WMN newspaper said 'move on the cards' although it is understood Argyle are in negotitaions with Bolton over they will accept. Argyle have already signed a few players and if Norris is to be sold then a player will take his place.

It's been very disruptive times for Argyle since Sturrock left. Williamson was found wanting, Pulis did the dirty and Holloword led us up the garden path. Unfortunately it is back to square one for Sturrock lets hope he can build another team that will be successful. Not this season but hopefully the next.

I think what has been dissapointing coming from the anti Argyle anything brigade is that they want someone to come in with barrell loads of cash only to leave the club in deep financial crisis if it doesn't work.

We don't need gamblers here. You only have to look at the way football is going especially at the top level when individuals, corporate bodies or whatever take over. There is only going to be one league champion or FA Cup winner only 5 or 6 whatever it is who will qualify for Europe. These people are gamblers. They don't put much of their own money in but borrow off the perceived assets of the club and walk away when ever they feel like it, pocket their millions and its on to the next club.

Do we actually want that. We know that every season it becomes harder. We have the manager so lets leave it in his hands. If Norris has to go then he goes, thats football I'm afraid.

Guest postman pat

well said eclp we dont want to be put in the same situation as lots of other clubs.just look at liverpool they arnt so happy with their american benifactors now are they.we are going in the right direction,just look at last nights results against pompey in the fa youth cup.players come and go but the club lives on.although i would love to watch argyle play in the premiership next year i would not like to be in derby county`s position being hammered every week and not enjoying it.sturrock needs time to build on the success of his and previous managers good work.if that means we as a club progress slowly at least we are heading in the right direction and not to the receivers like so many clubs out there :c::thumbsup: :smiley20: