Cornwall Football Forum

ENGLAND SQUAD

Coopsie

ENGLAND

David Beckham returns to the England squad for the games with Austria and Croatia.

Austria v England

International Friendly

8pm, Friday 16 November 2007

Ernst Happel Stadion, Vienna

Live on Sky Sports

England v Croatia

UEFA European Championship Qualifier

8pm, Wednesday 21 November 2007

Wembley Stadium

Live on BBC1

Steve McClaren has named a 26-man squad for the friendly with Austria a week today, and the final Euro 2008 qualifier with Croatia at Wembley five days later.

England captain John Terry misses out through injury, as does fellow defender Rio Ferdinand due to the Manchester United player being suspended for the visit of Slaven Bilic's side to Wembley.

David Beckham returns to the midfield ranks together with Owen Hargreaves who has recovered from an early season injury and recently played 90 minutes at the Emirates Stadium.

Ashley Young keeps his place in the squad after some fine form for Aston Villa this season, where he is joined by teammate Gareth Barry who has started in each of England's last four Euro 2008 qualifiers.

England travel to Austria for a friendly against the joint-hosts of Euro 2008, where they will face Josef Hickersberger's team in the Ernst Happel Stadion in Vienna.

The following Wednesday evening England face Croatia in the final match of the Three Lions' Euro 2008 qualifying campaign:

Paul Robinson Tottenham Hotspur

David James Portsmouth

Scott Carson Aston Villa (on loan)

Wayne Bridge Chelsea

Ashley Cole Chelsea

Nicky Shorey Reading

Wes Brown Manchester United

Sol Campbell Portsmouth

Joleon Lescott Everton

Micah Richards Manchester City

Phil Neville Everton

David Beckham LA Galaxy

Steven Gerrard Liverpool

Frank Lampard Chelsea

Gareth Barry Aston Villa

Owen Hargreaves Manchester United

Joe Cole Chelsea

Ashley Young Aston Villa

Stewart Downing Middlesbrough

S. Wright-Phillips Chelsea

David Bentley Blackburn Rovers

Alan Smith Newcastle United

Michael Owen Newcastle United

Wayne Rooney Manchester United (out injured)

Peter Crouch Liverpool

Jermain Defoe Tottenham Hotspur

Guest Cornishdave1980

I agree with Bushy, bentley should start, he has played superb and regurly where as Beckham hasnt had much training time let alone match time.

On a defensive side is it worth playing Richards along side Campbell in the centre? using Brown and Shorey as full backs. I think Campbell would guide Richards brilliantly.

Guest Doomer17

The squads not a bad one.

Starting with the goalkeeping situation(obviously:P) James HAS to start. Ok, hes erratic, but hes still the best goalkeeper in the premiership, arguably in the world. His experience is priceless.

I would also say Campbell with Richards at centre back. If ferdinand or Terry was fit, i would play Campbell with one of the two as i dont see Richards as a centre back, but due to their injuries(and suspension Ferdi), its got to be Richards.

I think Becks should definatly start on the bench. It wouldn't be fair on the in form Premiership players to be benched just because hes back, but again i think Beckham has to be 'involved' in every english game. Similar to Campbell and James, experience is one thing you cant beat, and being its a must win game, thats one factor it will come down to.

My 11:

GK- JAMES

LB- A COLE

CB- CAMPBELL

CB- RICHARDS

RB- P. NEVILLE (I know i know, i just dont trust lescott)( dont trust him either! But without g.neville what do you do?)

LM-JOE COLE

CM- GERRARD

CM- BARRY

RM- BENTLEY

ST- CROUCH (to feed owen as rooney injured)

ST- OWEN

Guest Cornishdave1980

Doomer almost agree with your team but would go for the more natural right back of brown and i heard on footy Focus Hargreaves will start and i have to agree with that as i will allow Gerrard even more freedom than what Barry provided in previous internationals. Crouch is the only options left really as we all know Owen cant work with any other type of striker than one that he feeds off.

Guest Helston Patriot

Starting with the goalkeeping situation(obviously:P) James HAS to start. Ok, hes erratic, but hes still the best goalkeeper in the premiership, arguably in the world.

Please dont drink and type

This may sound daft but i think im gonna enjoy watching EURO 2008 more should England not make it. At least i wont be stressed and disappointed next summer when they get knocked out! I can actually enjoy the football for what it is rather than worry about England.

Besides this could be the kick up the derriere that England need. Remember when they failed to get to USA 94, they came close to winning EURO 96 two years after. England are a dead cert for World Cup 2010 i reckon!

Guest Doomer17

Starting with the goalkeeping situation(obviously:P) James HAS to start. Ok, hes erratic, but hes still the best goalkeeper in the premiership, arguably in the world.

Think your the one drinking and typing thinking your gonna win the combo!! Name a better goalkeeper than David james?

As i said, hes erratic, but it comes with the package. You know when you watch Pompey play (or whichever club hes been at) that your going to be entertained! He makes 3/4 mistakes a game, but caps them with 3/4 moments that are world class! When hes on form, theres nobody as good as him full stop. Theres also loads of quality goalkeepers out there internationally. People who know nothing about goalkeeping though think 'shot stoppers' are the best keepers, but that doesn't make you world class.

Anyway back to the england thing which was why i posted, not to get into a debate about how good David James is!

CornishDave i see your point about Wes Brown..i just find he panics at international. And with regards to The hargreaves/Barry debate, i can see your point, Hargreaves does the holding role and gives gerrard a license to get forward more, as opposed to having two very attacking minded..again though, not Hargreaves biggest fans. Gives away too many silly fouls! We'll see though...Whoevers selected, we have to win. Everyone i have spoken two with regards to this game seems to think Isreal will get a result..and we won't!!!

Guest Doomer17

plz tell me you are joking mate

3 words

coco the clown!!!

o and to answer your question

buffon

green

reina

cech

cudicini

the list is endless

lol ok, i admit he has some ridiculously silly moments, but hes a class goalkeeper. Lol what sort of list is that!?:

buffon-Great shot stopper, but punches everything

green- very similar, glued to line a lot of the time, will be one of best english keepers in the coming years when hes got more experience

reina- Not even in top 10/15. Nothing special about him at all, punches everything

cech-amazing goalkeeper, when james retires he will be the best in the business probs.

cudicini-should of left chelsea for regular football. Love the guy but needs to be playing regularly. One of best shot stoppers in the world, and a real nice guy. Get out of stamford bridge

Thats my opinion on that crop of keepers u claim are better than james. Another example of somebody who knows nothing about goalkeeping, buts its an opinion which everyone is entitled too, just as mine is an opinion

were not talking about that are we, bentleys on form and deserves his chance just because he plays for a team out the so called top 4 he doesnt get picked, if he were say playing for utd he would be straight in there

oh and iamthebest the game was yesterday not sat as you said in your post, some fan you are!

plz tell me you are joking mate

3 words

coco the clown!!!

o and to answer your question

buffon

green

reina

cech

cudicini

the list is endless

lol ok, i admit he has some ridiculously silly moments, but hes a class goalkeeper. Lol what sort of list is that!?:

buffon-Great shot stopper, but punches everything

green- very similar, glued to line a lot of the time, will be one of best english keepers in the coming years when hes got more experience

reina- Not even in top 10/15. Nothing special about him at all, punches everything

cech-amazing goalkeeper, when james retires he will be the best in the business probs.

cudicini-should of left chelsea for regular football. Love the guy but needs to be playing regularly. One of best shot stoppers in the world, and a real nice guy. Get out of stamford bridge

Thats my opinion on that crop of keepers u claim are better than james. Another example of somebody who knows nothing about goalkeeping, buts its an opinion which everyone is entitled too, just as mine is an opinion

Ben Foster is better than all of them when fit.

Guest Doomer17

First of all Ben foster. Yep, amazing goalkeeper, in 2/3 years when hes established and playing regularly..good times ahead for him.

Exactly R and L, summed scott carson up in 2 words, hes exactly that, a shot stopper(very good one might i add!) Hes better than Reina, and doing real well at Villa so good luck to him. Hes only 22 too, people forget that.

Guest Helston Patriot

Think your the one drinking and typing thinking your gonna win the combo!! Name a better goalkeeper than David james?

Firstly, whats wrong with having belief in my club??? I dont think i have ever typed on here that Helston will win the combo, even tho i do!

Secondly;

Paul Robinson

Scott Carson

Robert Green

Ben Foster

Hell, even Richard wright is better..

Every one can have an opinion mate, so no need to keep forcing yours on everyone else, hoping people will agree with you. Would even say your better than David James but you moan far too much ;)

Guest Doomer17

Firstly, whats wrong with having belief in my club??? I dont think i have ever typed on here that Helston will win the combo, even tho i do!

Secondly;

Paul Robinson

Scott Carson

Robert Green

Ben Foster

Hell, even Richard wright is better..

Every one can have an opinion mate, so no need to keep forcing yours on everyone else, hoping people will agree with you. Would even say your better than David James but you moan far too much ;)

FIRSTLY, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you having belief in your club, its good(and you did type they would win it!) I was being sarcastic just like you was by saying dont drink and type after i left an opinion (so yes, your being hypocritical)

And i wasn't hoping anybody would agree with me, thats rubbish! I leave my opinions about topics, just like everybody else does, an opinion is what i think about a matter, if i wanted people to agree with me/visa versa i would just write 'yea your right' for a post no?!! so by you leaving comments like 'dont drink and type' just causes friction pal. How, in a forum can you accuse somebody of 'forcing' an opinion on to people!?

I would even say your better than Titus Bramble but im thinkin your moanin too much also!! I believe in David James, hes somebody growing up that has inspired me, yea ok, hes probably the reason why we as keepers make so many mistakes as youngsters trying to be like him! Hey hes probably never had this much attention and if hes reading it he must be loving it, so lets leave it at that!!!

no nothing about keeping???

you dont no anything about be so dont write something like that again please

plz explain why david james isnt playing for a top 4 club if he is the best keeper in the world

i cant believe any1 is saying this its a joke!!

helston patriot im with you all of those keepers are better.

and doomer17 i do believe steve mclaren is a far supierer manager then youn and doesnt pick him

you must no nothing about keeping :clapper:

Guest Doomer17

Who said it was aimed at u?

I will write what i want, lets get that straight, its a forum. David james is at the end of his career, so your saying when schmeichel left Man.utd and went to city, he wasnt one of the best keepers in the world because he wasn't in a top 4 club?! And Seaman..in fact and all the keepers that do this when they are near retirement...Yes im right..you clearly know NOTHING about goalkeeping(that was aimed at you)

Im not saying i am better than Mclaren..wake up mate again its a forum im leaving my views and opinions on things, it doesn't mean i think im a better manager than him! And i wouldn't be surprised if James starts against Croatia. I said he is arguably the best goalkeeper in the world, that means i know people won't agree with it, its my opinion, that doesn't make it a joke.

Guest Helston Patriot

Who said it was aimed at u?

I will write what i want, lets get that straight, its a forum. David james is at the end of his career, so your saying when schmeichel left Man.utd and went to city, he wasnt one of the best keepers in the world because he wasn't in a top 4 club?! And Seaman..in fact and all the keepers that do this when they are near retirement...Yes im right..you clearly know NOTHING about goalkeeping(that was aimed at you)

Im not saying i am better than Mclaren..wake up mate again its a forum im leaving my views and opinions on things, it doesn't mean i think im a better manager than him! And i wouldn't be surprised if James starts against Croatia. I said he is arguably the best goalkeeper in the world, that means i know people won't agree with it, its my opinion, that doesn't make it a joke.

Seaman only managed 19 games after leaving Arsenal

Guest Doomer17

Seamo went on a bit too long, he should of left on a high... 39 games too many Hp. I see your point.. James is a bit younger than Seamo was though. The point i was making though was, a player can still be one of the best regardless of what club hes in. James is at the end of his career, i believe hes playing blinding and doing wonders for Pompey..In fact currently he is in a top 4 club :)!

WELL DONE ISREAL. Even though you were attacked for 45 minutes, still somehow managed to score a winner! Now we have to get a draw at Croatia!

Prepare yourselves..........its all gonna go tits up.............I hope I'm wrong....but next summer will be a quiet one...

I dont think I can watch a major championhip without England in it but I have a terrible feeling thats the way its gonna be...

baggie, To be honest it would be easier to watch it without England in the competition chap, that way all England fans wouldnt have to watch a dire team play and scrape through the group stages and then either lose to Portugal yet again or the old penalty shoot out against the Germans.

Lets face it people gone is the passion and heart that your average fan desires and expects to see.

Who remembers pearce against spain and the hammering we dished out against a very good Dutch side and yes you guesed it the great Gazza celebration with the goal against the scots who wont be there this year :D although it ended in tears thanks to GS and the penalty miss but what a tournament that was. :clapper:

Who knows England may just prove me wrong (and i hope they do).