Cornwall Football Forum

Who Should Manage England Next?

With England destined for failure and Steve McLaren sure to loose his job, who would be your choice to take, what is surely, the worst job in football? I don't actually beleive that there is any coach out there that could turn us into world beaters as we're simply not good enough. Our best option would be a 'motivator' and for us to return to basics and stop trying to play like continental sides. Here's my shortlist, in no particular order:

Jose Mourihno - would be good fun in interviews!

Luis Phillipe Scolari - used to working with very technical players.

Gus Hiddink - why would he want to?

Fabio Capello - very expensive.

Sam Allardyce

Stuart Pearce

Harry Redknapp

Ian Holloway!!

Paul Jewell

Steve Bruce

Paul Ince

For me, it would be between Redknapp and Mourinho, but I doubt the stiffs at the FA would tolerate either of them. Sam Allardyce would be a great motivator, but again, he's a little too outspoken for the FA and probably felt hard done by that he didn't get the job in the first place.

Guest Peppermint

What no mention of Martin O'Neill who was interviewed before the idiot Maclaren got the job and should have got the position then. I am sure England would not be in the position they are in now if he had got the job instead of Sven's assistant.

Is it April the first seeing some of the names mentioned!

The fact is Peppermint, that there are not too many managers out there who would want the job... and good English ones are certainly not in abundance are they?

I take your point about Martin O'Neil and should have put him on the list, but good club managers don't always make good international managers. It is a completely different set of issues. Many club managers make their name by wealing and dealing in the transfer market, negotiating contracts with players and agents, coaching and organising his side on a daily basis. You need a completely different set of skills on the international arena.

All obvious points granted, but ones that our fellas at the FA seem to be missing.

I happen to think our best England manager of recent times was Glenn Hoddle. Just a shame that he made those unfortunate comments that the press blew completely out of proportion.

O'Neill would be a good choice and I see today that Randy Lerner would let him leave Villa if he was to be offered the position.

Guus Hiddink would be my number one choice. Jon Rosevear asked "Why would he want to?". Simple, when you look at what he achieved with Korea and now with Russia, who, not being disrespectful to either nation, do not have players of equal quality to what we do, I'd imagine that he'd really feel that he could achieve something with England. As do I.

The guy is a tactical genius, motivates players for fun and it's clear to see the togetherness he likes to bring into his team/squad.

Guest Cornishdave1980

To be quite honest no ones has a clue what the FA are going to do not even the FA know.

The only benefit for the person coming in is he will be on a clean slate on the back of a disaster so as long as England qualify for the World Cup they ll keep their job.

I liked to see O'Neil, but i fancy as an outside bet, Curbishley.

Curbishley would be an even worse appointment than McClown was. The FA need to target a manager that is truly world class, with experience of actually winning something or atleast gaining some sort of achievement within football management. Curbs and McClown are nothing more than mediocre managers who should never be let anywhere within spitting distance of the national set up.

Guest Cornishdave1980

coopsie, curbs is not my choice just who i think they FA will **** next, he s the safe plain choice!

I would like some one like Capello or Hiddink, we know the FA have the cheque book

I like Jose Mourinho but I'm not so sure that the England faithful would want their teams success to come by way of diving and cheating. That's how he won the Champions League with Porto and it's clear that the likes of Drogba and Robben and J. Cole were encouraged to do the same in a Chelsea shirt.

I'm not so sure that the FA will be able to employ another "Yes Man" because the England supporters just wouldn't stand for it. We all know that money talks and the fans would simply stay away because there's ALOT of money required to watch any team in this day and age, let alone our national team. Fans, no matter how passionate, will not pay to go and watch a losing team.

Guest Cornishdave1980

I know hes just signed a new contract but didn't Arsene Wenger say he would like the job, surely he would be a great catch?

I know its unrealistic and Anita would kill the FA but he has the cred's! I agree with the earlier comment thought that the FA will not accept another YES man as they will try to come in touch with the "people"

Martin O Neill is going to be one of the favourites,Harry Redknapp and Sam Allardyce look like the 2 best choices from the English managers,but i think Arsene Wenger would be the best choice,he should get the English lads playing but i fear it might be too late for Euro 2008. ;0( <_<

For what its worth heres my views on the managers.

Jose Mourihno, be a great choice but I think he will either manage it Italy or get Portugal

Luis Phillipe Scolari - Also a fantastic coach & he would definatley smack the players who were not performing!! however he turned us down before not sure he fancies a crack right now.

Gus Hiddink - Managed to turn shi' it gold with a few teams but would England be too much of a mission? plus hes on a good screw at Russia with Chelski payin for him.

Fabio Capello - very expensive, very clever, however wouldnt it be like going back to the Sven period where we play boring football?? also he would probably be sacked after he won a championship!!

Sam Allardyce - I think he would be a great manager for England but not sure about now he only got his name at Bolton see how he does with Newcastle

Stuart Pearce - I dont know why his name is mentioned, personally cant see him turning us around.

Harry Redknapp - Great with alot of Unknowns however he would surely know who to get Fat Frank playin half decent after the West Ham days.

I think Martin ONiell should be given the chance. at the end of the day anyones better than McClown.

Guest Cornishdave1980

How could wenger manage england he doesnt even use english players at arsenal he got rid of the only decent one he had in cashley and only seems interested in young foreign players he would be a bad choice in my opinion :angry:

i think you need to look back to when Arsene joined arsenal, if i remeber rightly his back 5 were English, half his midfield was and he had Ian Wright, that was the foundation of his success, so IMO he certainly has the credentials and buy Sir Alex he is the brightest football brain around!!!!

Arsene Wenger is a clever manager and has been given time at Arsenal to build succesful teams from scratch.

However Arsenal fans have got two things that England fans haven't. Patience. And a team that plays flowing, attractive and effective football.

Sam Alladyce would be my pick of the serious contenders. Scolari and Hiddink would be great but unlikely. If all else fails bring back Sven! All is forgiven!