Cornwall Football Forum

Des Wengradt

Guest Postie Pidge

Guest Postie Pidge

Mike it was only a minute's silence!

Desmond William Wengradt, born 26/09/28 in Plymouth.

The father of three children, the best away ground he played on was Argyle's Home Park and the worst was St Austell's Poltair Park.

A boilermaker by trade during his time at Falmouth Town, he made his debut in 1950 in a match at the Recreation Ground in Falmouth and made his last appearance in 1959.

A right half or emergency centre forward, his only honour with the club was the SWL Cup in 1957, (possibly) the only time the competition was won with no goals conceded.

He played an estimated 168 times for Town including an estimated 22 goals.

Mike, surely Rex Manhire is still watching cricket at Camborne. He's only 73.

It seemed like two minutes" Pidge" and it was well received.

Yes of course Rex Manhire , I spoke to him last year at the Con'club after his choir practice with Holman/Climax, and he did say to me someone from Falmouth Town was supposed to be coming to see him regarding his scrapbook cuttings and programmes. I thought that may have been you.

Anyway see you at Waterslade Park on Saturday and then the following week at Hallen if there is a coach I would like to meet up at Exeter Services as I am on holiday in Teignmouth for the week.

"Pidge"arrange a quick apology about your reference to Camborne CC and there is a great opportunity to meet your legend.

You being a goalkeeper and having a fine knowledge on Cornish goalkeeper's through the ages.

With all the early information of Rex's playing career you could immensely add to the history of Falmouth Town.

Perhaps someone could set up a meeting.

Guest Postie Pidge

I apologise to Rex and Tim for associating them with Camborne Cricket Club.

Rex sent me a few photocopies from his scrapbook about when he was County goalkeeper and his trials with professional clubs - West Ham being one of them!