Cornwall Football Forum

Sunday 12th May results

Guest BenTheYeti

Lockhart Cup

Falmouth Athletic Reserves 1 - 3 St Ives Reserves

With this game being on a Sunday, some of the St Ives squad were besieged by a mystery illness that seems to affect most under the age of 25.. I believe it's called "Hungoverism"
However, with it being a Semi Final, we naturally had about 64 players to choose from, with Dagger's even putting people through fitness tests before the game. Falmouth too, who came to The Saltings recently with a bare 11, had a much stronger looking squad of players at their disposal and so, an even game looked on the cards.
The pitch as you would expect at Helston, was in great condition, with the damp and blustery conditions making the surface more suitable to Ice Hockey, but both teams were adapting well and trying to get the ball down and play.
After both teams had early chances without troubling either keeper, the first good chance led to an opening goal for the men in grey. With the slight slope, the OAP had been finding plenty of the ball out on his wing, and probably due to his confusion that comes with old age, had been cutting back inside as and when he could. However, with 20 minutes gone, he found himself in a hectare of space, and rather than cutting inside or setting off the jetpack, he rather alarmingly played a delightful 30 yard through ball with all the precision of a Brain Surgeon. Awaiting said pass was the Ginger Berbatov himself, who would have been 64 yards offside, had it not been for a Falmouth defender loitering behind him (A very honest decision by the Falmouth linesman I must add). With all the blistering pace of a drunk snail, he rounded the keeper and slid the ball home from an acute angle.
A second goal nearly followed within a matter of minutes, but the keeper blocked well when Alex Brown came in from the barren landscape that was proving to be the left wing to get a shot away.
Falmouth were just as up for this game as we were (in other words.. I heard rumours that some of them were suffering from that mystery illness too..), and they were coming out on top in a lot of the midfield battles, and winning everything that was sent via airmail, with Joe Perrin making them tick over well from central midfield. After a spell of crosses and free kicks from his left boot had led to half chances going wide or over, one of my punts upfield finally found a St Ives head, with the ball finding it's way into the path of the OAP once again. This time the ball was worked inside and after an initial shot had been well saved (not sure who had it, my memory is failing with my own old age), the ball fell kindly to Fake Tan Curnow, who took a touch to give himself space on his weaker foot, before sending in an RPG of a shot that nearly put the net onto the pitch behind.
This goal did nothing to quell the intent of the men in blue, and as they became more robust in winning every aerial battle, every challenge and every second ball, so we became somewhat careless and giving away needless free kicks, with Fake Tan lucky not to see a yellow card as he charged into a tackle with all the finesse of the 9.38 to London Paddington.
One such petulantly given away free kick wide on the left after 40 minutes, gave the lad Joe a perfect opportunity to prove he'd swapped his left leg for one of Harry Potter's Wands, as another excellent delivery this time led to a free header 6 yards out, and led to me grasping at thin air as the ball hit the net.
HT 1-2
Him in charge wasn't best pleased, and once again must have been stealing glances at Churchill's diary, as a expletive filled speech was delivered, in the hope that it would shift the cobwebs out of some weary heads.
Naturally, for the first 5 minutes, absolutely nothing changed, and Falmouth now with the wind at their backs, were first to show intent of a goal, as a cross shot was dragged wide of the Yeti's despairing dive, but also wide of the post, and from the other side of the area, a low fizzed in cross found only green grass and the ever dependable Noah Tanner.
Finally, the hangover's started to wear off, particularly for Andy Barry (who in all fairness, had celebrated the milestone of turning 12 the night before), and the ball was now being zipped around with all the precision of a Ronnie O'Sullivan cue ball. Various chances came, but were either cleared excellently by the "vintage" Falmouth back four, or once again well saved by my opposite number.
We weren't to be denied for long though, and a third goal arrived after 65 minutes. After some resolute defending by Nathan "Chicken" Bassett and Nick Strong, the ball found it's way to the midfield three, who did their Barcelona Under 15's thing, and worked the ball out to the OAP, once again, due to his old age and standing out on the top wing on his own for so long, he decided not to run with it, and instead floated a delightful through ball into the path of him up top. For the first time I've ever bore witness too, the Ginger Berbatov actually made a header count as he flicked it on for himself and through the Falmouth defence, and with the keeper advancing, lived up to his nickname by calmly rolling the ball into the far corner.
Again, all credit must go to Falmouth, as even this third goal failed to dent their drive and desire to get something from the game, and after that man Joe found himself in a few yards of space 25 yards out, he showed he could hit a decent shot as well as his excellent crosses, forcing him between the sticks to parry away for a corner. Knowing that we capitulated so spectacularly at home against the same opposition, the lads in front of me were determined to kill the game off, and after we'd cut through the blue shirts like an oar through water, the Falmouth keeper again blocked superbly, only to see the ball fall to Fake Tan himself, but 12 yards out, the goal at his mercy and on his stronger foot was a bit too much for him to take, and he promptly hit a shot so weak, a 4 year old would have been disappointed with the lack of power.
Back came Falmouth again, and they had two great chances to pull a goal back with 10 minutes to go. Firstly, the lad Bisto finally broke through the left side of our defence, and his shot was very well struck, but it cannoned off the Yeti's gloves and into the ground, before fortunately hitting the the outside of the post. We failed to heed the warning, and he was once again played in in the other channel, but this time had clearly had his attention diverted by something he wanted to buy on one of the advertising hoardings, as he sliced his shot wide.
The full time whistle came and a hard fought 90 minutes had yielded a hard fought win, and a second final against Wendron Reserves in as many seasons.

Not a great spectacle at times I'd imagine for those who came to watch (including a small contingent from Wendron, who seemed to supporting the men in grey.. ta lads!), but we got the result we wanted.

Excellently well refereed by George Pattison (who I can't recall officiating a match I've been involved in before.. yet he knew me by first name), one of those referee's who spends the 90 minutes talking to the players throughout the game, explaining his decisions when he had to make one, and congratulating players when they made a good challenge etc

Penultimate league game for us on Wednesday night, with the hopes of getting closer to a top 3 finish

Lockhart Cup

Falmouth Athletic Reserves 1 - 3 St Ives Reserves

With this game being on a Sunday, some of the St Ives squad were besieged by a mystery illness that seems to affect most under the age of 25.. I believe it's called "Hungoverism"

However, with it being a Semi Final, we naturally had about 64 players to choose from, with Dagger's even putting people through fitness tests before the game. Falmouth too, who came to The Saltings recently with a bare 11, had a much stronger looking squad of players at their disposal and so, an even game looked on the cards.

The pitch as you would expect at Helston, was in great condition, with the damp and blustery conditions making the surface more suitable to Ice Hockey, but both teams were adapting well and trying to get the ball down and play.

After both teams had early chances without troubling either keeper, the first good chance led to an opening goal for the men in grey. With the slight slope, the OAP had been finding plenty of the ball out on his wing, and probably due to his confusion that comes with old age, had been cutting back inside as and when he could. However, with 20 minutes gone, he found himself in a hectare of space, and rather than cutting inside or setting off the jetpack, he rather alarmingly played a delightful 30 yard through ball with all the precision of a Brain Surgeon. Awaiting said pass was the Ginger Berbatov himself, who would have been 64 yards offside, had it not been for a Falmouth defender loitering behind him (A very honest decision by the Falmouth linesman I must add). With all the blistering pace of a drunk snail, he rounded the keeper and slid the ball home from an acute angle.

A second goal nearly followed within a matter of minutes, but the keeper blocked well when Alex Brown came in from the barren landscape that was proving to be the left wing to get a shot away.

Falmouth were just as up for this game as we were (in other words.. I heard rumours that some of them were suffering from that mystery illness too..), and they were coming out on top in a lot of the midfield battles, and winning everything that was sent via airmail, with Joe Perrin making them tick over well from central midfield. After a spell of crosses and free kicks from his left boot had led to half chances going wide or over, one of my punts upfield finally found a St Ives head, with the ball finding it's way into the path of the OAP once again. This time the ball was worked inside and after an initial shot had been well saved (not sure who had it, my memory is failing with my own old age), the ball fell kindly to Fake Tan Curnow, who took a touch to give himself space on his weaker foot, before sending in an RPG of a shot that nearly put the net onto the pitch behind.

This goal did nothing to quell the intent of the men in blue, and as they became more robust in winning every aerial battle, every challenge and every second ball, so we became somewhat careless and giving away needless free kicks, with Fake Tan lucky not to see a yellow card as he charged into a tackle with all the finesse of the 9.38 to London Paddington.

One such petulantly given away free kick wide on the left after 40 minutes, gave the lad Joe a perfect opportunity to prove he'd swapped his left leg for one of Harry Potter's Wands, as another excellent delivery this time led to a free header 6 yards out, and led to me grasping at thin air as the ball hit the net.

HT 1-2

Him in charge wasn't best pleased, and once again must have been stealing glances at Churchill's diary, as a expletive filled speech was delivered, in the hope that it would shift the cobwebs out of some weary heads.

Naturally, for the first 5 minutes, absolutely nothing changed, and Falmouth now with the wind at their backs, were first to show intent of a goal, as a cross shot was dragged wide of the Yeti's despairing dive, but also wide of the post, and from the other side of the area, a low fizzed in cross found only green grass and the ever dependable Noah Tanner.

Finally, the hangover's started to wear off, particularly for Andy Barry (who in all fairness, had celebrated the milestone of turning 12 the night before), and the ball was now being zipped around with all the precision of a Ronnie O'Sullivan cue ball. Various chances came, but were either cleared excellently by the "vintage" Falmouth back four, or once again well saved by my opposite number.

We weren't to be denied for long though, and a third goal arrived after 65 minutes. After some resolute defending by Nathan "Chicken" Bassett and Nick Strong, the ball found it's way to the midfield three, who did their Barcelona Under 15's thing, and worked the ball out to the OAP, once again, due to his old age and standing out on the top wing on his own for so long, he decided not to run with it, and instead floated a delightful through ball into the path of him up top. For the first time I've ever bore witness too, the Ginger Berbatov actually made a header count as he flicked it on for himself and through the Falmouth defence, and with the keeper advancing, lived up to his nickname by calmly rolling the ball into the far corner.

Again, all credit must go to Falmouth, as even this third goal failed to dent their drive and desire to get something from the game, and after that man Joe found himself in a few yards of space 25 yards out, he showed he could hit a decent shot as well as his excellent crosses, forcing him between the sticks to parry away for a corner. Knowing that we capitulated so spectacularly at home against the same opposition, the lads in front of me were determined to kill the game off, and after we'd cut through the blue shirts like an oar through water, the Falmouth keeper again blocked superbly, only to see the ball fall to Fake Tan himself, but 12 yards out, the goal at his mercy and on his stronger foot was a bit too much for him to take, and he promptly hit a shot so weak, a 4 year old would have been disappointed with the lack of power.

Back came Falmouth again, and they had two great chances to pull a goal back with 10 minutes to go. Firstly, the lad Bisto finally broke through the left side of our defence, and his shot was very well struck, but it cannoned off the Yeti's gloves and into the ground, before fortunately hitting the the outside of the post. We failed to heed the warning, and he was once again played in in the other channel, but this time had clearly had his attention diverted by something he wanted to buy on one of the advertising hoardings, as he sliced his shot wide.

The full time whistle came and a hard fought 90 minutes had yielded a hard fought win, and a second final against Wendron Reserves in as many seasons.

Not a great spectacle at times I'd imagine for those who came to watch (including a small contingent from Wendron, who seemed to supporting the men in grey.. ta lads!), but we got the result we wanted.

Excellently well refereed by George Pattison (who I can't recall officiating a match I've been involved in before.. yet he knew me by first name), one of those referee's who spends the 90 minutes talking to the players throughout the game, explaining his decisions when he had to make one, and congratulating players when they made a good challenge etc

Penultimate league game for us on Wednesday night, with the hopes of getting closer to a top 3 finish

Good read as always Yeti, looks like a showdown of the ginger frontmen is on the cards...

Guest smashing pumpkin

Both keepers had great games yesterday. St ives should of scored more than 3 but athletic should and could of brang it level but for some great saves fromthe yeti. looking forward to sundays final. Hopefully get a good crowd watching

Guest BenTheYeti

Thank you both for the sentiments.

Really looking forward to Sunday, both good passing teams and two ginger ninjas in amongst the goals.

Reckon their goalie is better than ours though ;)

Guest BenTheYeti

Haha I wouldn't dream of such things! Fair to say both teams have had very good seasons, and that is down to everyone who has been involved in both clubs this season, on and off the pitch

May the best team win on Sunday