Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy Premier Result 21st February - St. Austell 2 Probus 1

St. Austell 2 Probus 1 - played at Par Running Track

The home side, who were on top in the first half, took the lead after about half an hour after a Neil Ham through ball found Darren Roose and he squared the ball for Luke Patten (I think) to slot home.

Probus stated the second half well and deservedly equalised when a James Noble free-kick left the St. Austell keeper a spectator. They then thought they had scored again to take the lead through a Ross Vickery finish from 20 yards. However the goal was ruled out after the flag was raised for off-side. There was some confusion whilst the referee discussed the decision with the assistant.

St. Austell scored what proved to be the winner when a free-kick was missed by Billy Holland in the Probus goal and Steve Kellow (I think) to head into an empty net.

The referee gave a harsh looking penalty with 5 minutes left, but this time Billy Holland made up for his early error by saving Phil Hutchings penalty.

Overall I thought that Probus deserved a point for a hard working, battling performance, but it wasn't to be. I thought that the Probus centre backs Martin Woolcock (17) and Ben Keevil (18) were outstanding against St. Austell's experienced forwards, but everyone put in a good shift.

I apologise if I have got any of the St. Austell names wrong above!

Good luck to St. Austell in the Junior Cup area final next week. Probus are away at Torpoint 3rds.

Many thanks to all the Probus team and management staff for getting the game on last night, there was no reason for you guys to do so and to help us out like that is very much appreciated by everyone at our club.

Good game, a draw probably the fair result.

Chris i hope your memory is better for your speach next Saurday :)

After watching last nights game, why are Probus where they are in the league. Yes St Austell may not of played at their best but Probus certainly held their own for the majority of the game and a draw would of been a fair result. Was surprised to see that they are not further up the table. Good luck to Probus for the rest of the season