Cornwall Football Forum

Are mount Gould of the p and d league starving the swpl of genuine talent with the offer of new boots and tracksuits?

I like many others have been hearing rumours of players choosing, Not to play at the highest level they possible can, But instead play at park level in order to be a so called "Big fish in little pond"

I must say i feel the swpl will suffer because of this with the lose of players of quality and cant help but feel disapointed at not getting the chance to watch those players shine,

The likes of Dan Knight, Gary Ashton and the up and coming star of the future Jack Ball to name but a few.

Last season i saw Jack play for Elburton and saw so much potential in the lad and find it hard to believe that at his age, he is happy to ply his trade on council pitches and is showing no desire to be as good in the swpl as his fellow devonport striker Glynn Hobbs.

As for the others i think it shows a lack of commitment, I just hope that these " journeymen" will be back to light up the swpl with a better knowledge of the game and alot more desire to get and retain a place in a swpl side, rather than taking the easy option and playing to look good.

Barry this forum is for the "real" ballers...... 80% of people that are on this forum have never heard of these players!!

Iv never heard of Gary Ashton and Im an actual Plymouth and district player myself, So how can we expect others on here too. I post on here because my passion lies with following higher level players!! (Bit of a groupy if u like, but just because I was never blessed with natural ability of others doesnt mean I shouldnt appreciate better football!!)

Anyway this forum is not about promoting or advertising players from inferior leagues, find your own site...... Its fast becoming a joke on here!!! :(

My post was not to advertise these players, but simple to get others thoughts on the subject, Teams like this are surely having an effect on the swpl? even if it is only 1 or 2 players. Ok maybe Gary was a poor example.

It wasn't my intention to discuss the players individually, more the overall attitude of players in these situations as a whole, I simply used Mount Gould and the said players as my example,

But I do have to leap to the defence of the lad Ball who as I said, Is an absolute pleasure to watch!

His movement on and off the ball is tremendous, ok admittedly I don't see a place for him in a side of the quality of say... Bodmin

But surely the likes of Martin Burgess at Liskeard would snap him up in an instance if he showed the willing???

I suppose my point is that if young lads like Jack are happy not to progress for the sake of an Adidas tracksuit and a pair of boots, What will become of the swpl in years to come??

There has to be many other young lads like Jack, Who teams like Mount Gould will take and ruin,

This forum is turning into a joke. I love football as a whole but 2 b talking about a p&d team on a cornish forum is like spitting in a cornish mans pasty. Now I've watched mount Gould play & I believe there nothing but an saver age pub team. With a few players who r passed if. I believe they got beat by bucklands 3rd team in the cup & lost 2 a @ best average team in there own league. But 1 thing that is relevant is the boy ball is as good as anything I've seen. His movement & work rate is 2nd 2 none. He's the best talent I've seen in plym since the gr8 Glyn Hobbs himself

I unlike yourself slim havn't watched Mount Gould play, So I cant and dont wish to comment on them as a team.

I cant help but feel my point is being overlooked, My issue is that i feel the league which i love to follow is suffering because of these scrappy lower leagues luring players away with small offers (boots, tracksuits) who belong in my beloved swpl?

I not even talking of the premier, I mean as a hardened Vospers follower why have stuart and dan not been able to get Ball to sign?

Is it just a sign of the youth of today?

As i said I rate the boy ball right up there but does his unwilling show a poor attitude or does it show the swpl teams lack of ability to attract the rising stars?

I like many others have been hearing rumours of players choosing, Not to play at the highest level they possible can, But instead play at park level in order to be a so called "Big fish in little pond"

I must say i feel the swpl will suffer because of this with the lose of players of quality and cant help but feel disapointed at not getting the chance to watch those players shine,

The likes of Dan Knight, Gary Ashton and the up and coming star of the future Jack Ball to name but a few.

Last season i saw Jack play for Elburton and saw so much potential in the lad and find it hard to believe that at his age, he is happy to ply his trade on council pitches and is showing no desire to be as good in the swpl as his fellow devonport striker Glynn Hobbs.

As for the others i think it shows a lack of commitment, I just hope that these " journeymen" will be back to light up the swpl with a better knowledge of the game and alot more desire to get and retain a place in a swpl side, rather than taking the easy option and playing to look good.

Couldn't you label some of the Peninsula players as "Big fish in little pond"? Glynn Hobbs for example?

This my point, believe me I know my football and this boys got it! maybe it does lye in the boy himself or will he slip under the net?

like Gary Ashton has done, I personally hope wayne or one of the swpl managers do get to hear of the boys talent as i would pay to watch the lad, rumours do have it that tavy did show an interest pre season.

So I ask again.... why do these players seem to be slipping through the net???

And as for this forum becoming a joke....

Doesnt swpl stand for SOUTH WEST penisula league??? thus including Devon (much to every cornishmans disapointment)

Up the Villa!!

Glynn Hobbs's team play on a council pitch. :ph34r:

Crusty i've asked a genuine question on an issue i feel very passionate about, Why wouldn't people acknowledge this??

After all you felt the need to read then comment on this.

Why am i being mocked for wanting talented young players to play at the highest level around??

Surely if you are a genuine fan of local football you would feel the same?

I didnt post to discuss players and pitch fees, But i did wish to discuss whether anyone else feels the swpl is missing some great talent because of these lower leagues.

But clearly no one wishes to hold a proper discussion.

just want to put it out their is their not a player like Glynn Hobbs out their? because it dont matter were the lad plays he still gets a grulling i bet if people took a better look their would be loads of other players that do far worse then what Glynn has done. Yes the lad could of become a big player if he wanted it that bad, but is it so much of a big thing that he hasnt? Was told that Levi Landricombe was the best around when he was younger. He played p and d and peninsula.???

Like i have managed everybody else, and my players will understand that. But if Glynn didnt agree with that then i would let him go on good terms. He is a great player down this way and whatever the lad is doing its a issue.I never here much when he as done something good.

• 2 weeks later...

well if this ball lad really is the p and d wayne rooney, why han'st the famous parkway scouting network picked him up? surely hilson would have known of his talents and offer the chance to live out the dream at bolitho . ??

if im reading the herald correctly, i believe the lad ball came on as sub on saturday..... and scored!

Just saying! do hate being right :D