Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City v QPR

Well for anyone who read last weeks offering about the Yeovil match, firstly the cobwebs are still around the stand. In fact if anything, even worse - it must be the weather!

As rightly pointed out by a regular supporter, it wouldn't take much to get a handful of young helpers to give them a bit of a dust off, especially now that we are a "conference" side.

I have to say though that the pitch is looking in great condition.

As for the game, well City got off to a great start with Les Afful giving Truro the lead after just over a minute, Barry Hayles made a good run down the left and crossed for Afful to nudge home.

Soon after though it was all-square as QPR levelled from the penalty spot for an infringement that Premiership referee Kevin Friend didn't hesitate to award. Although looked a little harsh from where I sat. Leon Clarke made no mistake from 12 yards out.

With only ten minutes on the clock Martin Rowlands put QPR 2-1 up when he hammered home from just outside the box. The No. 4 making the most of loose possession with possibly Scott Walker at fault when not reading a pass from a team-mate.

It stayed that way until the interval when latest loan signing Ed Palmer, from Torquay, came on for his debut at the start of the second half.

Then after Rangers had hit the bar, in the 54th minute the visitors went 3-1 up, a good shot at the near post byMichael Doughty who showed some great pace all throughout.

City pulled one back on 70 minutes when debutant Palmer crashed the ball back across the Rangers goal into the far netting from almost on the goal-line. It all came about after the Rangers 'keeper had failed to touch away the ball from a corner on the left.

However just three minutes and Rowlands restored the QPR two goal margin as his freekick hit the upright and ended up in the Truro net after hitting the back of a diving goally Tim Sandercombe.

City's line-up:Sandercombe, McConnell, Walker, Pugh, Adams, Clay, Ash, Martin, Watkins, Hayles, Afful. Subs used : Palmer, Taylor, Broad, Yetton, Yeoman, Searle.

I have to say i thought Barry Hayles was the best player on the park yesterday. Didnt give the ball away once, strong on the ball gave QPR back line difficult hour and worked very well with Watkins. Not a massive gab in ability just think City got punished for minor mistakes which rangers took full advantage of..