Cornwall Football Forum

Advertising on the forum

I have a question I would like to put to admin and members of the forum

I have noticed that there is a rise in the amount of personal advertising going on either through member’s signatures or good old fashioned links to eBay and this gave me an idea to help not only the people advertising but also the forum as a whole

I use other forums like most people (Not just football) and those forums have for sale sections where people can advertise either what they have for sale or what they are after but there is nothing on this forum which is why people advertise through their signatures or direct links in there posts

What I was thinking was that would it either be possible to set up an extra section in which paid up members could advertise either items for sale or there businesses or if this is not possible (Proberly a lot of work but I do not know how this side of things work) then maybe it would be possible to get people to donate to the forum (There is a button at the bottom of the main page) and in return they get to use the personal signature which is free at the moment to advertise either items for sale or businesses

Now I make take some stick for suggesting this and maybe it has been talked about before but here is the reason I thought about it

A lot of us use this forum on a daily basis and im glad to say it is all free but spare a thought for the people who put in all the hard work that enables us to use this forum like we do because it is there spare time and effort that keeps this forum going

As most members will know there was a football match involving forum members and admin which I am led to believe was a big success, If people paid to advertise then maybe some of the monies raised could go towards an annual event where the forum could have maybe on or more games per season, this is just an example but maybe the monies raised through paid advertising members could go towards the upkeep of the forum (It must cost something to keep this place running)

Anyway it is just a thought and one that could benefit not just admin and members but the forum as a whole

As a recent member of the forum, I have added links to Ebay for items which I thought some members maybe interested in - Cornish Hammers and Arsenal / Cornwall badges, neither of these items were on my Ebay account for sale, mine being Cornwall_Lover.

My signature below is self explanitory, I am not selling a product or advertising a service. I realise that some folk do and use the forum as a free advertising board. I understand that there is a facility on this forum to donate to its' upkeep via PayPal, something I will be doing immediately. Perhaps all those wishing to use the forum for any sort of gain or who wish to contribute to the upkeep of the forum will also do so.

A lot of us use this forum on a daily basis and im glad to say it is all free but spare a thought for the people who put in all the hard work that enables us to use this forum like we do because it is there spare time and effort that keeps this forum going

It is not free to the administrators all they ask (all beit to infrequently) is that forum members pay a pound a year to keep the site up and running, once you have paid your £ your user name will turn purple, £1 is not a lot to ask to keep this unique website running for the benefit of all in Cornwall and further afield, is it?

Dave, Rich and myself have discussed the possiblilty of advertising on the site. It does actually cost a fair bit of money to keep it going every year.

We have already thought about advertising packages / banners etc as this site gets a HUGE amount of visits each month.

What we won't have is those annoying pop ups but you can expect some sort of banner ads to appear in the future which should help with the cost of running the site.

The Forum match was a great sucess and I'm sure we will try to arrange something at least once a year!!

I have a question I would like to put to admin and members of the forum

I have noticed that there is a rise in the amount of personal advertising going on either through member’s signatures or good old fashioned links to eBay and this gave me an idea to help not only the people advertising but also the forum as a whole

I use other forums like most people (Not just football) and those forums have for sale sections where people can advertise either what they have for sale or what they are after but there is nothing on this forum which is why people advertise through their signatures or direct links in there posts

What I was thinking was that would it either be possible to set up an extra section in which paid up members could advertise either items for sale or there businesses or if this is not possible (Proberly a lot of work but I do not know how this side of things work) then maybe it would be possible to get people to donate to the forum (There is a button at the bottom of the main page) and in return they get to use the personal signature which is free at the moment to advertise either items for sale or businesses

Now I make take some stick for suggesting this and maybe it has been talked about before but here is the reason I thought about it

As most members will know there was a football match involving forum members and admin which I am led to believe was a big success, If people paid to advertise then maybe some of the monies raised could go towards an annual event where the forum could have maybe on or more games per season, this is just an example but maybe the monies raised through paid advertising members could go towards the upkeep of the forum (It must cost something to keep this place running)

Anyway it is just a thought and one that could benefit not just admin and members but the forum as a whole

What a marvellous idea, and what a wonderfully thoughtful man you are to come up with such a thought and suggestion ;):c: ..

£1 is not a lot to ask to keep this unique website running for the benefit of all in Cornwall and further afield, is it?

That depends on how you look at things I guess

Is a pound a lot to ask bearing in mind that it goes to a very good cause?

I would have said that a pound is not a lot to ask but some people’s views are different

Take for instance my current signature

My partner is going to run the London Marathon and is raising money for Cornwall Hospice Care, which as I’m sure most people are aware it is a very good cause

Now if every member of the forum donated £1 my partner would easily reach the target she requires but only a small amount of people on here have done so (I do appreciate this by the way) which says a lot to me (A pound is obviously to much to ask for from the forum members) and before anybody says anything about me not donating to others charity i have (Although not on this forum) i was asked to sponser a fellow footballer for children in need which i did and he kindly returned the favour by sponsering my good lady and although it may come accross as being a little selfish i do not see why i should sponser others if they have no intention of doing the same

Ok the charity thing is different I understand that but in principle it is the same and that is giving £1 to a good cause

Now I could have donated to this website a long time ago and there are no excuses as to why I have not to which I hold my hand up so I am going to do just that but do I donate just £1 or is it possible to donate say £5 or £10 and have some kind of extra feature added where by other forum members can use this as a tool which is provided by this forum and one in which this forum would benefit

I do understand about the advertising banners and annoying pop-ups but this would not be needed if you just used the signature panel as a tool or open a new section for sale and wanted

This is obviously just an idea and one that potentially could help not just one or two people but the whole Cornish Football Family (Thats all of us by the way)

I dont mind donating each season towards the upkeep of the forum at all..whilst on the subject of Advertising....I have a few of the DVD's done on the Non League Grounds of Cornwall, so if anyone wants a copy please e-mail me on hornby60uk@yahoo.co.uk copies are £3, the money taken will go £1 towards the forum, £1 to charity and £1 for postage.