Cornwall Football Forum

Good for fans this season ?

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

It is interesting to note, that at the top end of each Division, crowds appear to be on the up. Is this due in some way to the chances of several clubs gatecrashing the party and upsetting the 'bigger clubs' ?.

I can only give my view on SWPL 1 W, which is providing some strange results this season, all of which makes it very interesting for those involved. I've not seen Camelford yet but they have obviously got things going in the right direction on and off the pitch. Plymstock were touted as title hopefuls prior to the start of the season and results appear to back this up. Perranporth are flying high and there will not be too many who take points off them, although any attack minded team can expose the fragile defence, as long as there own defence is solid. Newquay have come through the suspensions/injuries/holidays period and are now showing title potential, obviously I hope that this is continued and we can get the promotion we crave.

Hayle are another club improving on and off the pitch and have had some good results so far. St Austell will have to re-group and hope that they can start to pick up some points against clubs around them in the top half. Porthleven are always hard to beat regardless of who is in charge or what players they put on the pitch, do the club want to go up ?. Vospers have improved dramatically this season but will they have enough in reserve to go all the way ? Penryn are the surprise so far, many had them down as a top 4 side. Perhaps the trouncing of Truro will push them on.

Looking at the Prem table and some of the results, it will also be a close race to the title and the fans are responding with 9 clubs averaging crowds of over 100 and in one case 200. It's nice to see that Friday night football is well supported, a fact that other clubs should take on board sooner rather than later, cash is king after all or is it ?. Extra income can be used for the good of a club if they wish to make improvements to facilities and keep a locally based playing staff. Or, a club can use the cash and go for broke (sometimes literally) by spending big on players 'expenses' in the hope of bulldozing their way to honours. A choice that seems easy in these cash strapped times but are some clubs dictated to by managers too often ?

Despite recent events, I am enjoying this seasons football and matchday experiences more than any other, even more than last seasons wonderful ride. Cornish football has some great folk running the clubs, not just at SWPL level but in general, I still find it nice that a stranger from another club, will come over and have a chat, it is how friends are made. Those you travel with are vital to a good day out, just ask the Blazey, Buckland and Newquay fans who spend good time and money planning and travelling across the SWPL, do we enjoy it... you betcha !

My message to all is simple, enjoy the football, enjoy the day and support local football at whatever level... and pass the message on, bring a mate with you the next time you go to a game, they may do the same next time. Keep the faith !

Even up here in the Central Midlands League, as I have gone round I've noticed a big increase of support in the Non league Game so this could be country wide. I went to Thorne Colliery Welfare v kiveton park yesterday, usually when I make my yearly visit to Thorne a ex coal mining village, it is a dull place with possibly one old fella with his walking stick and dog watching the match, yesterday I did a head count and there was 79 there, including quite a few younger people from the village.

Guest Peppermint

In my travels around the County this season so far I have been lucky enough to witness some very entertaining matches. Last Wednesday at Bickland Park I saw Wadebridge Town beat Falmouth Town against the so called odds and then on Saturday I saw a close encounter at Blaise Park where Tavistock ran out narrow winners and both sides can point to missed chances.

The football on offer in the County is very good and it is only too easy to knock the standard etc - it seems good value to me and another point is the much improved playing surfaces.

I would list Penryn, Camelford, St Blazey, Wadebridge and of course Mount Wise [Newquay] as surfaces that have impressed me this year but there are others I am sure but I have not yet had the pleasure of a visit.

In my travels around the County this season so far I have been lucky enough to witness some very entertaining matches. Last Wednesday at Bickland Park I saw Wadebridge Town beat Falmouth Town against the so called odds and then on Saturday I saw a close encounter at Blaise Park where Tavistock ran out narrow winners and both sides can point to missed chances.

The football on offer in the County is very good and it is only too easy to knock the standard etc - it seems good value to me and another point is the much improved playing surfaces.

I would list Penryn, Camelford, St Blazey, Wadebridge and of course Mount Wise [Newquay] as surfaces that have impressed me this year but there are others I am sure but I have not yet had the pleasure of a visit.

what about hayle??????

damn good pitch with a damn good team.

most under rated club in the league.

give us some credit for what we've achieved mate.

no big money man, just hard work.

like yourselves. :drink:

Hayle are another club improving on and off the pitch and have had some good results so far.

Someone loves ya baby ! :P

Guest Peppermint

In reply to 'joejellico' I would point out that I have only commented on the grounds I have visited so far this season. I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting Hayle - when Newquay were there I was reporting elsewhere but I have been told that your playing surface is much improved.

Good luck for the rest of the season - hopefully I will visit your ground before the end of the season. It was not intended to upset anyone but comment on what I have witnessed first hand.