Cornwall Football Forum

Vospers looking for new Linesman

Vospers oak villa manager martin burgess sent me a text message the day before the defeat to moushole saying that the players were no longer happy to have me being part of the club with effect because I am too honest in my decisions and cause contraversy in those decisions.

perranporth away 3 weeks ago we, sorry they won 2-1 and one of our players was booked for constant dissent in decisions i made. the team were not happy about this. after all i spoke to the referee and he decided on the booking.

secondly the manager used any money i usually get for helping the club, towards the players fine.

week off before saturdays game against mousehole and he sent me the text thanking me for the work this season and the club were looking for a new linesman.

dobwalls away was another example of my honesty in helping football games tackle the tough decisions we linesman have to deal with. one of the vospers players blatently handled the ball in the area after a cross and the referee awarded a corner. i stuck up my flag and told the referee he put his arm out and the ref still gave a corner.

the team are clearly not happy with this and decided to get rid of me. against another example of a club loss without any part of myself wanting to leave a club. and i havent even been on the forum apart from the predictions.

i want to give credit to all the club linesman I have been with this season and so to have other managers and phil hiscox, so why a club should get rid of a representative for doing his job.

im not taking part in this football league anymore, but will still reply to threads like before just cant jump from club to club when its not my fault plus my reputation. saltash seconds are not doing that well, callington are never as good as last season, millbrook haha conceding loads of goals and not scoring many and saying theyll finish top 6, kidding right, and then vospers oak villa, first game i wasnt there they lose and they were absoutely poor, mousehole are a good attacking team.

Mike, have you not considered becoming an official lino not linked to a club (or whatever the term is)?

Or maybe even doing a referees course?

Your reputation does precede you somewhat but in all the times I have seen you run the line Ive never had reason to doubt your integrity and honesty. I definately think it would be a better move for you.

yes lee i have considered it but dont know when the courses are will be contacting ccfa soon to see when they commence.

me and the manager had a chat. he said the same thing about that but i dont have the time to do officiating week in week out as a referee plus i dont drive at the moment and the travelling from plymouth say to st austell etc is a nightmare but i have considered it but i like the people in our leagues to wanting to continue doing what im doing, but i cant understand why people have to be like this whichever club im at.

I dont know you mike, but, i do read most of, if not all of the threads on this forum......and you say "why do people have to be like this at every club"

Is it too much of ma coincidence that it keeps happening to you but not to anyone else at any of these, or indeed, other clubs?

Perhaps the problem is how you conduct yourself around the players etc away from the pitch?

As an "outsider" who lived and played football in cornwall for 18 months (for Roche 1sts) i didnt encounter anyone who kept going through this with so many clubs, or come to think of it, any of the many clubs ive been involved with at Hellenic, and Glos. County League level.

It makes me think maybe the problem is with how u act and carry yourself around the team?

And this isnt a criticism as i said before that i dont know you, just an observation using the info available to me.

And before you say, dont cast opinion if i dont know you, by bringing it up on here you are inviting opinions......

Oh dear oh dear Mike. Thought it wouldn't take long for you to come on here and declare how good you are and that it's everyone elses fault.

Perhaps if you answered your phone to me then i wouldn't have to contact you via texting.

Just a few points i would like to make.

1) Vospers Oak Villa are NOT looking for a new linesperson. We already have a new Linesperson in place. Mike you are no longer part of the club so club politics is no longer your concern.

2) The decision to relieve you from doing the line had nothing to do with what you would call "honesty" but your attitude with the players. I personally tried to get you involved with the lads but it was YOU that made the gulf between yourselves.

3) Yes we did used to give you travelling expenses when you ran the line. After the Perranporth game you came up to me and apologised for getting our player booked. You even stated you were wrong!!!! I recall that trying to bridge the gap you even forefitted your expenses to pay for that players booking. That was your decision!!!!!!!!!!

4) To say that clubs go downhill after YOU leave is laughable. I for one will feel pressure being relieved from me and won't have to deal with many players moaning about you.

I have tried PHONING you several times but with no reply or call back from yourself. I also had 7 or 8 people come up to me after the game and say how you were bad mouthing me during the game on Saturday. This disappoints Mike as i've stuck my neck on the line a few times for you.

In the past 4 seasons you have had 4 clubs. Is it that every club you have been with is in the wrong????? I doubt it very much. Perhaps a good long look in the mirror is required.

Seeing as you are such a keen participant on this forum(and that you don't answer my calls) i would just like to ask you to return the official linesperson kit that was given to you at the start of the season.

millbrook mike. if you want to be a referee but can't travel then why don't you become a ref in the djm league?

the pace of the games there might make your introduction into referring an easier one and once you are old enough to take your driving test then you can think about referring grown up football.

its a win win in my book, you get to be involved in the game you love and we all get to have a rest from you for a year or two!

Not being able to drive is no reason not to become a ref, i can't drive but get around on busses, trains and walking. Getting from Plymouth to St Austell only takes a hour or so on the train, and the grounds near the station, about 5 min walk. Or if your really lazy theres taxis from the station, if you want to go back to the pub talk to the manager after the game and he'll sort you out a lift to pub. :P

P.S. Lee if your reading this you still owe me a drink :smiley20:

yes lee i have considered it but dont know when the courses are will be contacting ccfa soon to see when they commence.

me and the manager had a chat. he said the same thing about that but i dont have the time to do officiating week in week out as a referee plus i dont drive at the moment and the travelling from plymouth say to st austell etc is a nightmare but i have considered it but i like the people in our leagues to wanting to continue doing what im doing, but i cant understand why people have to be like this whichever club im at.

I may be wrong, but don't you live in Devon?

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Not being able to drive is no reason not to become a ref, i can't drive but get around on busses, trains and walking. Getting from Plymouth to St Austell only takes a hour or so on the train, and the grounds near the station, about 5 min walk. Or if your really lazy theres taxis from the station, if you want to go back to the pub talk to the manager after the game and he'll sort you out a lift to pub. :P

Be fair Anita, you would crawl on your hands and knees to a match as long as someone took you to the pub afterwards :drink::smiley20::P

Oh dear oh dear Mike. Thought it wouldn't take long for you to come on here and declare how good you are and that it's everyone elses fault.

Perhaps if you answered your phone to me then i wouldn't have to contact you via texting.

Just a few points i would like to make.

1) Vospers Oak Villa are NOT looking for a new linesperson. We already have a new Linesperson in place. Mike you are no longer part of the club so club politics is no longer your concern.

2) The decision to relieve you from doing the line had nothing to do with what you would call "honesty" but your attitude with the players. I personally tried to get you involved with the lads but it was YOU that made the gulf between yourselves.

3) Yes we did used to give you travelling expenses when you ran the line. After the Perranporth game you came up to me and apologised for getting our player booked. You even stated you were wrong!!!! I recall that trying to bridge the gap you even forefitted your expenses to pay for that players booking. That was your decision!!!!!!!!!!

4) To say that clubs go downhill after YOU leave is laughable. I for one will feel pressure being relieved from me and won't have to deal with many players moaning about you.

I have tried PHONING you several times but with no reply or call back from yourself. I also had 7 or 8 people come up to me after the game and say how you were bad mouthing me during the game on Saturday. This disappoints Mike as i've stuck my neck on the line a few times for you.

In the past 4 seasons you have had 4 clubs. Is it that every club you have been with is in the wrong????? I doubt it very much. Perhaps a good long look in the mirror is required.

Seeing as you are such a keen participant on this forum(and that you don't answer my calls) i would just like to ask you to return the official linesperson kit that was given to you at the start of the season.

and i came on this forum before anyone started talking about vospers and the linesperson before people did not know the facts.

attitude to the players was not an issue with me, i tried interacting with them on the pitch to get them to stop with all the swearing i get week in week out. at the start of the season you said i was a club official and the players were told that any dissent towards me was affecting the club as well, so why didnt you stop any of it. secondly there was a bad challenge at perranporth and your centre half started swearing and shouting at their dugout in full view of families and kids. with the referee on the other side of the ground who else was there to control the tempers, certainly not you. the club would of been fined in this day and age in the big leagues but i made it clear to clubs not to swear with kids around and the people of perranporth applauded me for stepping in. not wanting to one to be big headed about it, but it shows i care for the respect of the game and the fa rules.

as a manager martin what could you have done more to get me more interacting with the players. i felt there was no problem with them. you always invited me into the changing room before the game to dish out fines and get involved. i always came to clubhouses after the game for a pint and banter except one fan was over the top and said i shouldnt have been sitting with the players after the dobwalls game.

as for saying i was bad mouthing you, i didnt say i was bad mouthing you, i said that you sent me a text saying you didnt require my services etc, the text message you sent friday and i showed a few people and some say you were out of order you could have sent a message to meet you. as you have replied after i sent you a message online i will remind you that my phone is unable to call out. i can receive messages and phone calls but couldnt answer them because of work.

millbrook mike. if you want to be a referee but can't travel then why don't you become a ref in the djm league?

the pace of the games there might make your introduction into referring an easier one and once you are old enough to take your driving test then you can think about referring grown up football.

its a win win in my book, you get to be involved in the game you love and we all get to have a rest from you for a year or two!

defo hoofs, done it a couple of times, what i have in mind is coaching young kids football, after all they are the future and if its a success long may it continue good look for whatever club your with.

djm football is where i started so might have a go at passing on my knowledge to the kids of the world and let them enjoy the football adults do.

thanks anita ill bear that in mind. reason i mentioned st austell its a ground i havent been to yet but heard its a good set up down there and way they're going at moment in season could be a successful one for them after events on and off the pitch.

Millbrookmike just give up , you are just a *****

didnt you know that already :clapper:

Guest local_football_supporter

What a Shocker !!!!

Mike thats 3 clubs in this calender year ,

To be honest mike i wouldnt let you anywhere near kids football if i had any say in it !!

Apart from Mikes issues, 2 statements in this thread made me laugh - Vospers have a fan and St Austell is a good set up, you couldn't make it up !!!!

millbrookmike/callymike/vospersmike-given up trying to remember which one you are-you looked very dejected on saturday sat in the clubhouse after the game all on your own-still cant understand why you were there though.

i think the best thing for you to do is never air your feelings on this forum as it gets you know where it seems.

good luck to whatever you do-why not try disability in sport (i think thats what its called) extremely interesting- i know devon fa and cornwall fa are always putting on courses

reason i went clubhouse was because i was asked to speak to martin if i wanted to help the club out in any other way than on the line. i asked one of the players before the game to have a word whilst in the dugout and at half time he said speak to martin after the game and i knew the clubhouse is where the players and staff would be afterwards so i made an effort but it wasnt appreciated.

Mike, I understand your passion for the game and agree with others that have posted with regard to your staying within the game.

Get on an officials course, do a coaching course, become a football reporter in the local press or radio. Personally, I think you should just sit back and become a dedicated supporter of a club and enjoy the days (evenings) out.

I may be wrong, but don't you live in Devon?

Sorry if I missed the answer, and I don't wish to prolong this subject, but do you live in Devon?

Mike, I understand your passion for the game and agree with others that have posted with regard to your staying within the game.

Get on an officials course, do a coaching course, become a football reporter in the local press or radio. Personally, I think you should just sit back and become a dedicated supporter of a club and enjoy the days (evenings) out.

:rolleyes: hey judge surely you have got a place for a honest lino.

mike obviously has a lot of time for your club.

newquaymike as a certain ring to it. lol

:rolleyes:

I think Joejellicoe is confusing the Newquay Lino with his own :P

A manager of another club incorrectly stated that our lino was a cheat, even though Grant Russell was taking up the flag for his first game on that occasion and the match was 5mins old. The Ex-Lino of Newquay, Andrew Whitfield who ran the line for 2 years, was the most honest Lino the Div had seen. He was constantly knocked in jest by us fans for not cheating and getting far too many decisions right. Personally, I think there are very few Linos that call incorrectly in 1 W but occasionaly they will make marginal decisions that seem to favour the club they serve.

Mike has NEVER been connected with Newquay AFC in any capacity, although he did watch a few games towards the end of last season.

haha joe

nah i dont have any connection with newquay other than it was great to eventually meet the judge and become part of newquay loyal the atmosphere at their games is good as well as the banter and then the judge went and gave me a newquay loyal shirt to wear whenever i watch their games. and when i ran the line on the friday for newquay v millbrook i was honest in all the decisions i made in the first half and my thoughts were on running the line to help the referee not newquay or millbrook.

rest assured though not being involved with vospers now gives me a chance to support newquay and get around the south coast to watch some decent football and build up a repour with some well known soccer forum writers i havent yet met.

with regards to connections with newquay the only time i got in contact about helping them out was when i was free at the end of june and contacted their manager.

haha mike u looked for sympathy and instead u just got a grilling.... mate dont take it personally........ but u and football just dont go try takin up another hobby, like netball maybe?... and to think teams get worse when u leave is prob the funniest joke i've heard all year!

hi jafs mate hows things with you. getting on scoresheet i sheet. mate i aint looking for sympathy just using the forum for peoples opinions on the subject. never take things personal my friend since the first time i got grilled lol. vospers v callington gonna be a tough game for both sides so im going for a 1-1 draw today, but i think callington have the better forwards