Cornwall Football Forum

What's your thoughts on pre-season prep?

:blink: What a striker preferring training to games?!! :clapper:

Yes i did enjoy training!! But i played cricket too!!

I think we played about 3 friendlies that was all! And scoring was much better when it mattered!! on a saturday afternoon ( and evening at which ever venue we ended up in :thumbsup: )

But i played cricket too

If I remember right, in our day Kempy, Saturday friendlies were quite rare really. Which made me chuckle and wonder why Ludgvan bothered to arrange a Saturday friendly for yesterday and then say they had absentees due to cricket amongst one of the reasons!

But i played cricket too

If I remember right, in our day Kempy, Saturday friendlies were quite rare really. Which made me chuckle and wonder why Ludgvan bothered to arrange a Saturday friendly for yesterday and then say they had absentees due to cricket amongst one of the reasons!

Well they are looking for a win! it's been a long time since Ludgvan did win :thumbsup:

''Games this early only get in the way of those fitness levels'' quoted from Mr Massey himself !!!

what a ridiculous view !!! u can do as much fitness training as your want but nothing subsidises match practice no matter how u look at it ! we had a killer pre season feeling fit as possible , its my 4Th friendly now and I'm just starting to feel the benefit from the first 3 games , and I'm a naturally fit lad

Guest Luffy

But i played cricket too

The reason for arranging a friendly is because I am trying to build a new squad. Ok I take Dave point (which I answered in another post earlier on ref players availability) here but I needed to take a look at the players that were available and see how they would respond together, and to have a look at those players I have not seen playing before in an eleven aside game, remember the season is long and depth is what every manager will require.

The lads concerned enjoyed the run out and as I have two training sessions one of Tues and one on Thursday, it seemed sensible to try and bring the lads together for a game. Kempy has pointed out that we arrange one so we could win, well we did not, and to be honest I take little from the score lines in a friendly, what I am looking for is:

Have the players taken onboard what is being shown at training?

How they are implementing it?

How is their fitness going along?

What further training is needed?

I agree with Mr Massey to the extent that it is pointless having too many friendlies and I expect that at Ludgvan will have three maybe four at the most, this is to see if the players are grasping what is taught in training to them and bringing them together as a bonding session outside the training environment.

People always make me laugh when they say in our day, fair enough, when you were playing or the sides you played for the manager / coach decided that they would only play a few friendlies, but that is down to individual coaches and managers.

I have been playing and managing for many a year and understand the ins and outs of trying to produce a side ready to hit the ground running on the first Saturday of the season, sometimes it is spot on and others it takes a few more games to get exactly what you want, but that is the nature of the game.

But i played cricket too

The reason for arranging a friendly is because I am trying to build a new squad. Ok I take Dave point (which I answered in another post earlier on ref players availability) here but I needed to take a look at the players that were available and see how they would respond together, and to have a look at those players I have not seen playing before in an eleven aside game, remember the season is long and depth is what every manager will require.

The lads concerned enjoyed the run out and as I have two training sessions one of Tues and one on Thursday, it seemed sensible to try and bring the lads together for a game. Kempy has pointed out that we arrange one so we could win, well we did not, and to be honest I take little from the score lines in a friendly, what I am looking for is:

Have the players taken onboard what is being shown at training?

How they are implementing it?

How is their fitness going along?

What further training is needed?

I agree with Mr Massey to the extent that it is pointless having too many friendlies and I expect that at Ludgvan will have three maybe four at the most, this is to see if the players are grasping what is taught in training to them and bringing them together as a bonding session outside the training environment.

People always make me laugh when they say in our day, fair enough, when you were playing or the sides you played for the manager / coach decided that they would only play a few friendlies, but that is down to individual coaches and managers.

I have been playing and managing for many a year and understand the ins and outs of trying to produce a side ready to hit the ground running on the first Saturday of the season, sometimes it is spot on and others it takes a few more games to get exactly what you want, but that is the nature of the game.

come on look on the bright side!! only having a bit of banter!! Good luck when you play St Day, Illogan and the likes but not us!! :c:

Guest Luffy

I try not to bite if I can help it, coz I think it does nothing for u, ur team or club, and to be honest I've kept pretty quite while alot of people have slagged off Ludgvan. I know that it is going to be a tough ask but I hope the players that will eventually be in the squad will be upto the task, and with the players I am hoping to have I know they will. I enjoy the banter in football not only on the forum but also on the touchline it is one of the reasons why we enjoy the game so much. Good luck to you Kempy for the season but not against ourselves. All the best!! :D :D

Sunday afternoon pretty boring on the sport front, so excellent time for a little light reading on the forums which not done for over week or so now!

Some Interesting topics and replies!

There was a reply reference a quote from myself from Mr Night sparrow?!

I'm surprised being a fit guy already, that he did not understand the point I was making about having good fitness levels first before you start matches.

Far to many games are played far to early without having the level of fitness to go with it. Match Practice IS A COMPLETELY different sort of fitness.

If you only tried to get fit by playing matches you would never do it, in fact you would probably break down with an injury.

So still standing by my "Ridiculous" statement! Games that early on only get in the way of your general and physical fitness levels of your body, Games to get match practice should only be played once a level of general and physical fitness has been achieved.

I take it this might well have happened with him, because he says, "we have had a killer pre season"

Great, that's my point exactly, he may have put the work in already and thinks hes ready?

so match practice comes next. Other teams and clubs are probably not as organised as his.

I still say though to be playing pre season games 5 to 6 weeks before league starts is not necessary at all.

But I would like to thank him and all the hundreds of others who have read latest "Massey's Mutterings" and bigger thanks for fabulous feed back many of you (Inc. Rappo's, brilliant!) have given by email or text, much appreciated.

Good luck to all your teams.

Regards

Mass