Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash announce four signings

Guest Uncle Albert

Guest Uncle Albert

Saltash United have announced four signings today - including two from Parkway.

Link: www.thisiscornwall.co.uk

Guest Bullard

4th season in a row as favourites??

This team has only been in the league as a group for 3 seasons - first season everyone thought they would struggle (came 3rd by 1 point), 2nd the following year and a disappointing 5th last year, with a chance of 2nd in the last week.

Dont ever really ever remember them being favourites??

hmmmm

This is the story taken from the thisiscornwall website.

"Ashes snap up league's top scorer among four new signings

SALTASH United have signalled their intention to be in the running for Peninsula League honours again next season by completing four major signings in the first week of the June transfer window.

Manager Kevin Hendy has snapped up Plymouth Parkway striker Chris Wright, who won the league premier division golden boot award last season with 39 goals, despite missing the last 13 games with a foot injury.

The Ashes have also raided Parkway to sign highly-rated young defender John Heveran; they have also signed Ivybridge's Martyn Sullivan, while 17-year-old midfielder Will Sherrell, released by Torquay United, is the fourth capture.

Saltash, who finished fifth in the premier division and Cornwall Senior Cup runners-up, have also retained all of their 2008-09 season squad, although Shaun Manley is moving to London to teach and will only be available when he makes occasional returns to Cornwall.

Hendy said: "I am delighted to have sorted out our signings in the first week of June. Normally, you have to wait until pre-season training starts to get players to decide, but this year it's been different.

"Chris Wright was the league's top scorer last season, so he is a great acquisition, and if there was an award for the league's player of the season I would have voted for Martyn Sullivan.

"He's a vastly experienced player, having spent nine seasons with Dorchester, and he will add strength to our midfield.

"Heveran had some rave reviews last season as one of the league's best defenders, and Sherrell is an exciting young talent."

Hendy said he was also delighted that the whole of last season's squad had signed on again. He said: "All the top sides wanted our players but they have shown great loyalty to Saltash United.

"This is the fourth summer they have stayed together as a group, and we have managed to add some really excellent signings on top.

"I am expecting this squad to be competing around the top of the league next season."

Saltash return to training on June 25 and have announced five pre-season friendlies. They are:

Sat July 18, Bridgwater (h); Wed 22, Budleigh Salterton (a); Wed 29, Willand Rovers (a); Sat Aug 1, Taunton (a); Tue 4, Stoke Gabriel (a)."

blimey, are saltashski the new bodski?

great signings up top, highest goalscorer and most creative player in the league.

still not sure about the centre back slots though, midfield has to have coulton in it to be challenging for me.

going to be another great season, me thinks, with ashes definately in the top 6 again.