Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Transfer News 03/06/2009

Thisicornwall.co.uk Link

SOUTH West Peninsula League newcomers Perranporth are close to completing their first 'big' signing of the summer, player-manager Ian Gosling has confirmed.

And the former Truro City midfielder is also confident of securing the signature of a second high profile player as the Pilchards prepare for their first ever season in division one west, which gets underway on August 15.

But despite receiving the green light to sign both players, the club are keen to keep their identities under wraps until they officially become Perranporth players.

"I'm really pleased with the players who have agreed to join us, but until they sign I have to respect their clubs," said Gosling.

"We have four players we are targeting, we've spoken to three and one has agreed to sign for us.

"That's all I can say at the moment, but we're hopeful of announcing some new signings soon.

"I'm really happy with the progress we've made as we prepare for next season."

Predictably, Perranporth have been linked with a string of players since the end of the season as the club looks to make their mark in division one west.

Penzance's Justin Harrington and Porthleven winger Kevin Lawrence have been mentioned as possible signings, although Gosling is refusing to be drawn in on speculation with players who are currently signed with other clubs.

Perranporth's players report back for training on June 29, and Gosling has revealed every player from last season's Combination League winning squad will return.

But, with at least four new players expected to arrive during the course of the summer, Gosling accepts that some may choose to move on if first-team opportunities at Ponsmere Valley are limited.

● Porthleven defender Martin Day will become Penryn's first signing of the summer, new Port boss Kevin Richards has revealed.

Steve Warr is also heading in the same direction, although he will be playing for the club's second team next season.

Porthleven have also lost the services of county youth captain Josh Kemp, who has agreed to join Penzance.

"Penryn is right on Martin's doorstep and after a change of hours at work it will be a lot easier for him to play for them next season," said Richards.

"Steve has also decided to move on and he will try his luck for the second team."

Penryn player-manager Steve Jewell has also revealed that he expects none of his current squad to move on in pre-season.

However, he is refusing to confirm any new signings until the club reports back for pre-season training next season.

"We're keeping all our own players, but I don't want to say anything about new signings until we're back in training," said Jewell.

● Robin Watt admits Truro City reserves could lose some of their young star players this summer following their achievements last season.

The Tigers finished a creditable 10th in their first year in division one west.

Watt believes the performances of several youngsters in the Truro ranks will have attracted interest from other clubs.

The club have already lost Sam Cooper to Penzance and Watt concedes that there could be more to leave.

"I suppose after doing so well last season the lads have put themselves in the shop window," said the City joint manager.

"It is possible that we could lose a couple of players and we would certainly not stand in anybody's way if there was an opportunity for them to better themselves.

"We have a very good young squad of players and we want to help them as best we can.

"Last season was a massive learning curve for them and for myself and Steve (Flack) as coaches.

"But they have been a credit to the club and hopefully some of them can go on and achieve bigger and better things."

Sam Gerkin, Mamsy Sabo and Tom Russell are just some of Truro's youngsters Watt has high hopes for.

And the trio will get the chance to impress when Truro play against U18 sides from Cardiff City, Plymouth and Bristol Rovers in pre-season.

"This is another opportunity for them to put themselves in the shop window," said Watt.

Truro have been drawn at home to Glyn Hooper's St Blazey in the first round of the Throgmorton Cup on Wednesday September 23, with the inners hosting Penzance or Porthleven on Wednesday October 21.

It will be a good signing for Penryn as long as Dayer can stay on the pitch for the full 90mins instead of doing the windmill impresion.As for Pporth signings i've heard Andy Butcher is leaving and they have signed

John Mitchell,Justin Harrington(done deal) and hoping to sign Wayne Quinn.

• 2 weeks later...