Cornwall Football Forum

What was the point of introducing this division into Senior football?

The ECPL in it's previous format was very succesful, so why change?

We've had junior clubs moving up into Senior football before they were ready.

We've had withdrawals from this division every season.

Why 16 teams in a division without floodlights?

The previous season they had the disastrous league cup format?

Are the teams really stronger than the top junior sides?

Was it caused by the SWPL coming into existence?

Interesting Pompey that you have waited so long to ask this question, or have you been watching from close by to see how things settled down after the three seasons since the mass changes?

I too am an outsider of the ECPL and so what you see below is only what I can either remember or make an opinion on! No doubt and hopefully the league's "unofficial" but close source of information - ECPL - will add his comments at some stage.

However, until then, let' start at the top:-

What was the point of introducing this division into Senior football?

Was it not to do with making the season more fulfilling and manageable. The season before the change - they had 38 league fixtures and as you can imagine, a lot of clubs would therefore have had a long run-in to the end of the season when nothing at stake apart from personal pride. No chance of winning the league, and no chance of ending bottom and dropping down into the Duchy League. And also the reduced number should help with fixture congestion.

The ECPL in it's previous format was very succesful, so why change?

Depends what you call successful I suppose. Yes it had a well run league already, but the league obviously felt it could improve by changing as above, which also allowed them to bring in some fresh blood with additional clubs

We've had junior clubs moving up into Senior football before they were ready.

Those clubs obviously felt they were ready - correct me if I'm wrong, but promotion from the Duchy isn't compulsory.

We've had withdrawals from this division every season.

Yes - can't get away from this disappointing side of things. Not helped by players running clubs and wanting to play Junior football because of Sunday football rules; not helped by the Padstow debacle - when the league surely should have placed them into the First Division and not back in the Premier.

Why 16 teams in a division without floodlights?

This number of teams should still enable them to finish a season without a massive fixture congestion. However, floodlights are held by some anyway - this season Parkway, St Blazey, Holsworthy - and not sure about Elburton Villa.

The previous season they had the disastrous league cup format?

I think you'll find with hindsight they realised this and the format was altered. Dare one say by listening to the clubs - not all leagues do!

Are the teams really stronger than the top junior sides?

Hasn't this quite often been the case, that the top Junior sides could hold their own in Senior football. So nothing new here. However in the past, those better Junior clubs were denied the opportunity even if they wanted to go up due to "closed shop" tactics at the AGMs.

Was it caused by the SWPL coming into existence?

No I don't think so. Anyway, don't see why because the Jollys Cornwall Combination League stayed as it was before SWPL days.

Just a quick point on the PADSTOW affair. All the ECPL did was to follow their own rules. If they did not and forcibly ralegated Padstow to Division One then the CCFA would have stopped it as they threatened to do. I think we all get a bit carried away with biased views of certain clubs. This league is still in a transition period and will continue to suffer teething problems until everything settles down. This may take another two or three years.

When the ECPL changed to two divisions there was not enough league games hence the change in the league cup. This changed again the following year when the clubs especially down west wanted to make the preliminary groups more regional. That was what the clubs wanted. This again did not work and when the league incresed its membership it was decided to go back to the original knock out formula as well as re-introducing the Supplementary Cup.

And yes clubs have found life in senior football difficult but that is down to the club not the league..

All the ECPL did was to follow their own rules. If they did not and forcibly ralegated Padstow to Division One then the CCFA would have stopped it as they threatened to do

Did they change that rule? Made the league look a bit of a charlie! Would hate for that to happen again.

No rule to change. If you remember the CCFA interviened at the end of the 2007-8 season because there is a ruling in the ECPL that says once a team has played 70% of its matches it cannot be removed from the league. It also meant that because of the lack of numbers in the premier division they could not be relegated either. The ECPL offered Padstow the opportunity to drop down but they refused as they now had CCFA backing.. Unfortunately the CCFA ended up with egg on their face because after just 8 games of the 2008-9 season Padstow resigned.

If the clubs want that rule ammended then why don't the apply for the change in the normal manner Not a chance because one of them might jusrt fall into that category. Don't forget the ECPL is run by the clubs all the management do is carry out their wishes. If they don't want a rule change then the rule does not change.

No rule to change. If you remember the CCFA interviened at the end of the 2007-8 season because there is a ruling in the ECPL that says once a team has played 70% of its matches it cannot be removed from the league. It also meant that because of the lack of numbers in the premier division they could not be relegated either. The ECPL offered Padstow the opportunity to drop down but they refused as they now had CCFA backing.. Unfortunately the CCFA ended up with egg on their face because after just 8 games of the 2008-9 season Padstow resigned.

That's right blame the CCFA, but it was an ECPL rule that Padstow made look silly. Actually I don't think the CCFA or the League came out of it untarnished!

And as for the clubs not wanting the change - no course not, it's in their interest to keep the "loophole" available. However did the League at a later occasion put the suggestion of a change to the clubs?

If the dinosaur CCFA were to abandon junior/senior football none of this would be of any consequence whatsoever.

I don't think any other counties in the UK have this problem and believe me it is a problem for club secretaries in Cornwall, and it creates a mountain of paperwork.

The CCFA are responsible for the administration of all leagues in Cornwall. It will be interesting to see if the CCFA tell (or request) the Duchy League to allow two teams to be promoted to the ECPL. Indeed the CCFA are inspecting Edgcumbs ground on Friday when they check out whether the Torpoint Athletic facilities will allow them to enter the FA Vase. The other anomoly is that the CCFA will not be inspecting the Marjons set up.

Next wednesdays meeting will be interesting. As far as the AGM is concerned it is usually 2 weeks after next weeks meeting when all the clubs will be given the run down on each teams application and what has been recommended or rejected It is then rubber stamped at the AGM.