Cornwall Football Forum

If you were referee, what would you do?

30 minutes ago, B Manning said:

Willow, it would be classed as outside interference and the restart should be a drop ball.

So all the refs in the clip have it wrong? (I'm not questioning your point as I wouldn't have a clue what to do!)

The substitute has entered the field of play without permission. In accordance with law 3, this would be an indirect free kick and a caution for entering the field without permission which is why the referees gave the ifk.

The denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity with the hand is a red card offence (DOGSO-H) and a penalty kick/direct free kick shall be awarded. Perfect example of that was with the Suarez incident. Cheating b*****d but it worked out fine for him on this occasion with the penalty-taker missing.

Just to elaborate on Mr Mannings point, anyone not listed as a player, substitution, team official or someone sent off is deemed to be an outside agent. If they enter the field of play and are interfering, the referee blows up, has him/her removed and awards a drop ball.

Because a substitue has entered the field of play without permission, this is a caution and an indirect free kick.

The team physio, chairmans wife, substitutes dog etc enters the field, continue play if they aren't interfering... Blow up, have them removed and award a dropped ball if they do interfere.

Unfortunately there is nowhere in the law book that states you can send off a substitute who has denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity. The original offence is that he enters the field without the referees permission. You'd like to think this would be a very, very rare incident.

The law book is being significantly reduced in size this year and new interpretations added (such as being offside in your own half). I fully recommend that players/coaches/team officials have a read. You'll be surprised about how certain situations you've "known" all your life, are actually incorrect in law. I have certainly learnt a lot by reading the law book

Thanks. I would LOVE IT if when there is a live match on TV, before an ad break (not BBC obviously!) they pose a question or a scenario and reveal the answer afterwards. It would help people get a better grasp of the rules as most of us claim to know them but as the clip demonstrates, I doubt if they crop up on a referees course!

I agree with that Dave, "these things sent to try us" my problem with the incident is where the indirect kick was taken from, the offence was committed ie, at the point at which the sub entered the FOP therefore that is where the free kick should have been taken from, if inside the 6yd box then out to the edge nearest the point of entry. good fun this football. There are several video clips where a ball boy etc has done the same thing, I think it comes under the heading of Ghost goalkeepers on youtube.

Spot on Mr M, as I'd expect :)

Willow, there's an app that does that, I can't remember what it's called but it was a trial version, I didn't like it personally.

As a player before October (and for the rest of this season with Titans), had I not read the law book, I'd be screaming blue murder in certain situations where I would be adamant I was right.... Negative. Id be wrong.

So many times already in my short refereeing career thus far, already I am fed up with the players and their beliefs on the laws. For the regular offenders, I offer to show them the law book 20 minutes after the game. Usually they decline at that point. 

It's when they say stuff like "do you know the rules, ref"... Rules?!? RULES?!? ?