Cornwall Football Forum

The Standard of Refs? Good or Bad?

Guest devon

From what Ive seen this season Ive been pretty impressed. Sometimes they call it wrong but they only get the one opportunity to see it.

What has impressed me most of all though is when a foul is committed, they often let play run for up to 5 or more seconds then call it back when no advantage is gained. Admittedly it sometimes confuses or upsets the players but I consider it to be excellent reffing. I havent seen that as much in other leagues and even in professional games, now that may be coincidence but I like to think that the local referees down here are using more common sense ;)

I havent noticed any big ego ref's either who forget that people dont pay the entrance fee to see them take centre stage (thats what p***es me off watching Spanish football on the telly mind you).

as a ref myself i see why alot of boarder line decisions get made in some matches, but when a referee cant back up his argument for his decision, or appears to be bias to a local team of there's ( aka if they're from deepest cornwall and happen to get the game thats next door to them due to legistics) that truely annoys me as i feel it ruins the game. end of the day they're gettn paid for what they're doing, so earn the moola!

but it is a thankless job and without them, we wouldnt have any matches come the weekend! :drink:

From what Ive seen this season Ive been pretty impressed. Sometimes they call it wrong but they only get the one opportunity to see it.

What has impressed me most of all though is when a foul is committed, they often let play run for up to 5 or more seconds then call it back when no advantage is gained. Admittedly it sometimes confuses or upsets the players but I consider it to be excellent reffing. I havent seen that as much in other leagues and even in professional games, now that may be coincidence but I like to think that the local referees down here are using more common sense ;)

I havent noticed any big ego ref's either who forget that people dont pay the entrance fee to see them take centre stage (thats what p***es me off watching Spanish football on the telly mind you).

first point about refs calling it wrong and only get one opportunity i neither agree or disagree because as club linesman some referees ask us to help with fouling decisions and some say leave it to them. thats why with only one opportunity to see it they should at least get us more involved in the game.

i agree in your next paragraph about letting play go on and then pull it back if no advantage is available. if any of you watched the luton v scunthorpe game on sky, scunthorpes second goal was gr8 signal of refereeing letting play go on and they scored. he could have stopped play.

overall referees are doing a gr8 job for this league seeing as there are not a lot, i myself wish to become one at some stage when the credit crunch has stopped taking my money and i got time to take the courses.

the only thing i disagree with is when club managers moan at decisions or say things hastily to the referee after the game, when they are not a qualified referee therefore cannot debate a decision.