Cornwall Football Forum

CARLYON ARMS v ST.BLAZEY

St Blazey turned up and paraded in "Cornwall Sunday Cup Winners" t-shirts, they probably should've waited until after the game before choosing to wear them! The game was definitely no "Battle of Sticker" though there is still the underlying current of mistrust of officials, every decision seemed to be under scrutiny. The tackles started to fly in at the end and there will be definitely no love lost when Sandy play @ St Blazey which will possibly be next Sunday afternoon due to Blue Anchor v Duke White Hart cup final being played @ St Blazey in the morning. The result ended St Blazey's slim hopes of winning the league, Sandy need 2 points from their last 3 games to clinch the league.

Guest HammeredHome

I think you'll find we're still county champions regardless of whether or not we lost this weekend.

:thumbsup:

At least this time the ref dealt with most incidents well. You where the better team this time, end of story.

Regardless of how we fair in our remaining games we have achieved more than any other team in the county. We won the county cup in our first year of existence. Not even a 4-0 loss can take that away. So continue to rub it in for a while but remember losses are forgotten but Championships last forever :drink:

I think you are missing the point, we appreciate and applaud your victory in the Cornwall Sunday cup. The whole T-shirt "stunt" was ill timed, wearing them over your football shirts to come out of the changing rooms onto the field. If you were cold (and it wasn't) wear a training top. Who were you trying to impress? Your supporters knew you had won the cup, our team knew you had won, several of us congratulated your team.

You are correct that the ref dealt well with most incidents although the match did get a little frayed towards the end. You are incorrect about Championships lasting forever, they last about 12 months! Winning the Sunday Cup in your 1st season is a fantastic achievement, what I don't understand is your relatively poor showing in the league having lost 6 of your 13 games. This is not meant as a dig, we've played you twice and the players you have at your disposal suggests a stronger showing. At the moment you are 4th in the table, are you the 4th best team? No, as a team you are definitely better than that.

Guest HammeredHome

The only senior player we played in the county cup who hasn't featured in the league as much is Sweeter.

To be honest i don't know why we haven't performed in the league. I suppose it's a bit of an arsenal problem. We can play good football but sometime there's no end product. Also we lost a few games at the start of the season before we had a full strength side (eg weasel, graham rule, bryce searle etc).

The shirts where ordered a long time before this weekends game but complications meant we did not receive them until after the county cup final which is why at the last minute they decided to print "county champions 2009" on them. I'm sure it wasn't a show of arogance (although I don't know for sure).

Either way apart from the incidents you mentioned it was played the right way this time which is whats most important really. As I wrote on our facebook page "County Champions vs League Champions to be". I also wrote that we were both probably the best two sunday teams in the county (whether we played like it on sunday is a different story). But good luck for the rest of the season.

p.s has the game been scheduled for this sunday?

As far as I know it's a 2pm kick off, the back page of the St Austell Voice suggests so. You guys had some crazy results @ the start of the season though we can hardly talk, our 1st game was a 6-2 defeat at Blue Anchor. I agree you have the Arsenal problem but the fact you try and do play good football suggests next season you will be there or there abouts. What surprised us more was your 2-1 defeat @ Foxhole the other week. When we played you in the Knockout semi several weeks ago you were in all honesty the better side even with 10 men.

I think some of us will go down and cheer the Duke on, it would go against the grain to support Blue Anchor! I like to think we have been the best team in the league this season, 11 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat suggest so. We've managed to win games this season even when we haven't been either very good or the better side. The semi final against St Blazey is an obvious example.