Cornwall Football Forum

Porthleven v NEWQUAY AFC

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

After a more positive 2008, where Jim Hilton has ensured a much happier squad of players, Newquay fans will be looking forward to the new year with hopes of a good finish to the season (and perhaps a bit of silverware). However, fate has deemed that we must first take on Porthleven who sit proudly at the top of Div 1 West and we know that we are in for a tough match.

Former Peppermint, Lee Bradd can do us a favour by either not turning up or scoring 2 own goals, the tricky little winger (Kevin) might want to take the day off and if the ref fancies a few pints before the match, I'm sure we can accomodate him. On the plus side, the Newquay players I have spoken with since our last match, are well up for this one and if we play as well as our last big away game at PZ, then we can leave Gala Parc with all 3 points for a change.

Unfortunately, due to Newquays Plymuff and Chelsea elements heading up to the smoke for FA Cup action, I understand only 20 or so of the Newquay Loyal will make the trip south, don't order too many pasties Vidal !

Guest Peppermint

Well done Gareth - looking for a good story for the newspaper!!!

Did you enjoy the full bloodied battle at Foxhole last Saturday - it was certainly not a game for the faint hearted.

Guest Peppermint

I have not heard anything Gareth but then the manager and the secretary would be the ones that are in the know!!!!!!!!!

If it happens then it will be in the Newquay Voice!

Gareth, I'd be surprised if Jim was to make a move for any players. We have a great set of lads who are desperate for some success, no point bringing in players who may not fit in. I know of some players who wish to come to Mount Wise, but I understand they will remain at their current clubs until the end of the season before making the move.

As for Kevin Lawrence, why would he give up the chance of winning the title with Port ?, a cracking player whom I have admired for a good few seasons, perhaps he could be convinced to move to Newquay for next season. There is also a young lad making a name for himself at St Austell, who has friends at Mount Wise, could this be a good move ?

Another great day out at Porthleven, the Newquay Loyal have always received a great reception from the Gala Parc officials and today was no exception. Many thanks to Messers Clark, James and all those who provided us with such good hospitality... I trust our own committee will ensure a warm welcome for your visit to Mount Wise in April.

The few travelling Peppermints were treated to yet another top awayday and ensured that our away record of just one defeat (where we were robbed) this season remains intact, some have suggested we play all our games away from home. Luke Wheldon put the visitors 1-0 up after just 4mins but quite how no one else scored this afternoon will remain a mystery. The Port keeper was named by the home side as MOTM and that was no disrespect to a number of Newquay players who could have laid claim to the honour. Chance after chance went begging as Newquay piled forward but could not find the final touch to put the ball away. The home keeper made 3 superb saves but it was not all one way traffic. Lee Bradd was determined to show that he can score at the correct end of the pitch but failed to trouble Matt Armstrong-Ford with a series of shots that went high, wide and no-where in particular.

Port claimed that Arron Bicknell should have been sent off for a shoulder charge on the edge of the box, they obviously didn't notice Andy Morris covering behind, Azzer was not the last man and the forward went down quicker than a Union Street professional. Scott Palmer who had struggled to find his shooting boots was replaced after suffering a dead leg by the electric Josh Harris. With Josh and Azzer flying down the right, the home defence were stretched all over the place, this allowed Middsy and Paul Hampshire to boss the midfield and ensure the defence had one their easier days, Sam McKune hardly broke sweat (cheers for that comment Lol). Those that had made the trip were always slightly nervous that a quick break by the home side would ruin the day but Ash and Riggers contained Kevin Lawrence for most of the afternoon, Andy Harris Morris was a rock, although he did set up one shot for Lawrence, Jake won't have that much space again this season.

Apologies if the report is not as concise as our regular PEPPERMINT notes but I am not one for jotting down times, plays etc. So apologies to any players who I may have missed, every single one of them performed and it would be difficult to name one as our MOTM, just another fantastic all round performance.

WELL DONE LADS !

NB, many thanks to the PZ fans who sought us out to pay compliments to the Newquay fans and players who performed so well in the 2-0 win, your comments are much appreciated.

Guest Peppermint

I think Scooter asked about photos because he is one of the Newquay players - Paparazzi.

The Judge's report is good only mentioned Andy Harris being a rock when it was Andy Morris - Andy Harris was obviously one of the Reserves team that did well at Mount Wise.

Apologies Mr Morris, great to see you on NYE in the clubhouse by the way, same goes to the flying nuns, Josh & Azzer.

Great result for the Combo side too, top weekend if you are a Peppermints fan.