Cornwall Football Forum

well done Boro

Guest Teasy

I don't see how anyone can argue about the 3g pitch! if it is good enough for FIFA and for England to play their Euro '08 qualifier against Russia, then how can Blazey have an arguement!?

Blazey train on that pitch every week, Spartak Moscow used it in the Champions league but its not good enough for the Blazey big time.....have a word!

The surface is completely flat and is ten times better than the pitch that St Stephens Borough played on last season.

The fact is St. Blazey are a good team who under performed on the day and the St. Stephens Borough players played out of their skins to beat them, so surely the focus should go on congratulating all of the Borough players and for Blazey to just except defeat!

Teasy, check facts.

The pitch has been in debate ever since the CCFA lacked a spine in ruling it out, not since St Blazey's poor result at the weekend.

In fairness, St Blazey were in a lose lose situation when the draw came out, Win and the cry would have been "What was all the fuss about", Lose and everyone jumps on the bandwagon as they are doing.

No-one doubts the result and even if St Blazey had won this fixture 10-0, the argument over the surface in Senior football would remain. I agree with the doubters, no place for it in competitive football.

Your champions league argument doesnt totally stack up either, whilst Spartak may have played group games on it, someone at Uefa came to their senses and had the plastic ripped up after England V Russia and relaid in turf in time for the Champs League final.

If FIFA/UEFA were keen to throw their weight behind how great a surface it is, why not leave it down for the largest and most lucrative game of club football on the planet, competed by 2 of the biggest clubs in World football?

I think you may also find that the pitches used in Russia are of very high quality, as much so they are FIFA approved. I do not know the pitch in question but I will assume it is the same quality as the ones at Truro and Cornwall college and these would only just scrape through CCFA regulations.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

i play on the 3g pitch and i'm in no way saying that it is better than grass, its not BUT it is by far better than some of the pitches used in cornwall in our league, And especially during the winter, i have played on pithces this season where in the second half the ball doesnt bounce due to the mud.

i do agree that grass is better but i am simply stating that a 3g pitch is not all bad and does have benefits compared to some pitches during the winter.

The Moscow pitch was ripped up because UEFA decided that the pitch was not exceptable for competitive matches at that standard. FIFA how ever are still on the fence about the decision.

I feel sorry for St Stephens Boro here. They have deservedly by the sounds of things beaten St Blazey and progressed to the round of the cup. The arguement about the pitch should not effect their achievement CCFA have let it be passed lets just accept the decision, I cant argee with people trying to stop a club progressing through the levels.

Having been in position of using 3G pitches every day i think they are a great facility. The problem with them is (this information is coming from a risk assessment day on there use.) they amplify any movement compared to any natural surface.

The big question about there use in competitive football is through the use of a slide tackle. As mentioned sliding distance is further as with speed increasing the impact of a tackle. Fair challenge or unfair challenge this increases the risk of broken bones and serious injuries dramatically. The 3G surface is not designed to give like mud and grass or it would tear up and studs have been know to get stuck in the matting. And we all know what can happen when you foot is stuck in the ground and your tackled.

I do think they are a great facility but i would still prefer to see grass pitches remain the pitch of choice for competitive football.

Again though congrulations to Boro. :clapper:

I agree, shame this is all overshadowing the fact that they have knocked out St Blazey.

Wins of this nature are rare with the budgets on hand to the majority of senior clubs and St Stephens deserve a great deal of credit for their acheivement.

Shame also that players and officials who all put time in on a voluntary basis for this club get the pitch thrown back at them at regular intervals.

I'm being slightly hypocritical of course, but when I reflect on the comments of myself and others, I want to personally point out that I in no way wish to deflate the helpers or dent the ambition of St Stephens Borough.

The last thing a club like this needs is officers walking away as they feel they are fighting a losing battle!

Best of luck in the next round of the cup lads!

At last!!!! After days of banter and miss guided opinions and statements we have finally had some sensible comments on this subject thanks to Judas and Soil Sports Ltd. You have both impartially summed up the "debate" whilst not detracting from the fantastic achievement of St Stephens Borough FC.

Thank you both as you saved me from entering the "debate" myself as a very frustrated individual who read all the comments with interest and who personally believes that these pitches should hold no place in COMPETITIVE, SENIOR STANDARD FOOTBALL, for all the reasons just covered by the before mentioned.

Lets put it to bed now shall we and leave it to the professionals behind the relevant football associations to decide whether these pitches should continue to be suitable and in the meantime, wish St Stephens Borough all the best in the next round.

Purely a typing error (honest!) Peppermint and have duly made my personal apologies to Ash!!

By the way, whats your thoughts on the alternative radio broadcasting for football subject on the main discussion board then? If you have any of course.

Guest Peppermint

Hi Lafs - the thoughts about the alternative radio station seems a great idea - well thought out and reasoned by Soil Sports Ltd. It would be good to get back to the days when you could find out results and news on the way back from games.

Where are you watching your football - be pleased to welcome to Mount Wise for a match sometime -best wishes Graham. PS -Dudas [Ash] is playing well at the moment and a great addition to the Peppermints ranks. Hopefully that endorsement will mean a drink over the weekend!!!!!!

Very kind Graham, thank you. I cant say im going far on my travels this season as spending more time with my young family and therefore I usually head down to Blaise Park whenever I can or very occasionally watch the progress of my old mates and players at St Austell.

What's the feeling in the Newquay camp at present? I'd imagine a very upbeat one since the PZ victory and securing a place in the next round of the Senior Cup- any talk of having a say in the League or even an outside chance of winning it??!

Great to hear Ash is playing well for his home town club but cant say im surprised to hear it as for me, Ash is a very underated player and on his day there isnt a full back in the County who can live with him. I was gutted last season when he chose to leave us at St Blazey to join his mates at Penryn and to be honest we never replaced him for the rest of the season.