Cornwall Football Forum

Standing Ovation for a Gentleman of Cornish Football

St Agnes AFC hosted their end of season Dinner/Dance and Presentation Evening at The Inn For All Seasons on Saturday 31st May.

Well attended by more than 100 members of the clubs senior teams the star of the evening was retiring club secretary Jim Stenning.

At a sprightly 84 years of age Jim has just completed an amazing 20 years in post but owing to recent poor health has decided to take a step back to a more advisory role.

Jim's involvement in football over the years has been comprehensive from playing in his younger years in the London area to representing an England Army side against a Scottish representative side in Kuala Lumpar when he played right half and scored a goal!

20 years ago having moved to the St Agnes area Jim saw in a local paper an advert looking for a club secretary for St Agnes AFC, he telephoned the Chairman of the time Roger James to apply, a meeting was arranged at Enys Parc the same day and the rest is history!

Jim was completely blown away as , now retired, Roger James returned to the club as a guest for the evening and presented him with a certificate of Honorary Life Membership of the club he has worked so hard for over the last 20 years, current Chairman Mandy Kimmins explained, "As it was Roger's fault Jim ended up at the club I thought it only right and proper he should be the person to send him off too!"

A further surprise for Jim was the arrival of Brian Biggin Council Representative from the Cornwall County Football Association who eloquently congratulated Jim on his great example set over the years, his longevity of post and awarded him with a Football Association Long Service Award.

Chairman Mandy Kimmins presented Jim with flowers and everyone present at the evening stood to their feet to applaud a real gentleman of Cornish football.

(Photo of Brian Biggin CCFA, Jim Stenning & Roger James Previous Chairman St Agnes AFC)

A few of the other awards presented on the night included:

Chairman's Cup - Mary & Ian Baxter

1st Team - Tom Benney Managers Player & Top Goal Scorer, Lee Jeffries Players Player & Supporters Player, Justin Andrew Loyalty Award.

2nd Team - Players Player Tom Morgan, Managers Player Nathan Campling, Top Goal Scorer Paul Dabell, Supporters Player Richie Horswell

Ladies Team - Top Goal Scorer Emily Wade, Managers Player & Players Player Lyndsey Cowl

(More photos - well at least some of the ones I can share - on our club website)

Guest Peppermint

What a great tribute to a real gentleman who was always a pleasure to deal with. Best wishes to Jim and as Soccer Follower states we will hopefully see Jim supporting his team next season.

Workers like Mr Stenning are worth their weight in gold to clubs.

Guest City Legend

What a great fella Jim is. I am really pleased that Aggie have honoured him in this way, the guy is an absolute gentleman.

I am priveleged to have got to know him pretty well during my Aggie playing days and wish him all the best. He deserves a rest.

Mandy - If you see Jim, please send him my regards.

Leg