Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL SGM

Just to clarify St Stephens Boroughs position.

CCFA inspected Saltmill on 12th May 2008 and passed it for Cornwall Senior Cup football.

They also confirmed that at a meeting between ECPL, CCFA and Duchy League on 6th May 2008 it was confirmed that St Stephens Borough had been admitted to the ECPL.

Guest thebigfella

Surely they have to be voted on by the member clubs! A meeting between the CCFA and ECPL cannot determine entry into any league.

The CCFA and ECPL might well have sanctioned the use of Salt Mill in the relevant competitions but I'd hold your breath on claiming entry to the league just yet...

I for one am not an advocate of the plastic pitch, although the current 3G surfaces are about as close to grass as you're likely to get, and I think you'll find that if the member clubs feel the same way, you might not get the nod!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall tonight.

It would appear that Bodmin think they should not be relegated, likewise Padstow. It would also appear that the SGM tonight will decide who can or cannot be allowed in or out of the league which will be ratified at the AGM. One thing is for sure Vospers OV have not applied to join the ECPL this season.

As far as the plastic pitch is concerned it would again appear to be that even if all of the ECPL's current clubs voted against it then the CCFA as far as I know would still be the deciding factor. The CCFA have declared the plastic fit for the CS Cup which is a pre requisite for entry into the ECPL.

Guest thebigfella

Member clubs might not be able to vote directly against the plastic pitch, but they would be able to vote against St Stephens Borough's entry into the league... the wrong vote, but with the right outcome... ie, no plastic pitch!

Have St Stephens Borough lobbied any of the current members?

St Stephens Borough won the Duchy League Premier Division and are therefore entitled to promotion - this is not subject to a vote.

The criteria agreed by both leagues and the CCFA - with the CCFA to adjudicate in the event of a dispute - is that the pitch must meet the standard required for the Cornwall Senior Cup. Again this is not subject to a vote.

CCFA have inspected the pitch and approved it for the Cornwall Senior Cup.

As such St Stephens Borough have fulfilled the agreed criteria and are entitled to promotion. Again not subject to a vote.

This was confirmed by the ECPL in the meeting with the Duchy League and CCFA to clarify promotion issues.

The FA themselves will not sanction plastic pitches for FA Cup and Youth Cup.They also will accept no responsibility for claims arising from their use anywhere.

They also require any pitch used t be of FIFA 1Star standard and certified and registered every Year.

Now who will be responsible for maintaining such stringent control in Cornwall?

Accept this at your peril.Now is the time to stand against it, before it all goes wrong.

Perhaps Borough Sec.could confirm here and now that it meets these standards.

Guest thebigfella

My sincere apologies to St Stephens Borough, I did not realise you won the Duchy Premier. Congratulations for that then!

In which case, if the League and County FA sanction the use of the plastic pitch, there is nothing the member clubs can do... is there?

I suggest all clubs dig deep, because players are going to be needing 2 pairs of boots in the ECL Div One next season!!

Whilst endorsing your congratulations on the promotion, I still object most strongly to this apparent attempt to steamroller over the existing Member Clubs.

If the CCFA force this on us, then they must be held accountable for any injuries caused by the Pitch.The FA will not do this, so let's see what the CCFA is made of.

Incidentally,"The League" is the existing Clubs.

Just need to clarify the situation with regard to attendance at this evenings meeting as I may have been misleading in my previous posting....

We were informed that in our case (Bere Alston), attendance at the meeting was not compulsary and as such, due to work commitments and travel difficulties we will not be attending.

Also whilst the subject of St Stephens Borough's 3G artificial pitch has again reared it's ugly head, i for one can't see the problem.

After all, the away sides will only have to play on it once a season and it will take a moulded or trainers which, most, if not all players should have anyway.

It'll be no different than playing on bone hard pitches at the beginning or end of the season or during the winter when it is usually icy.

The main benefit will be that when your team is due to play on it, there'll be no problem with it being cancelled even when the weather's bad.

Yes it could be that it will be an obvious benefit to St Stephen (providing they can adapt to it themselves of course) but it may also mean that they may struggle when it comes to reverting back to grass for away matches.

Is it any different than teams having an advantage because their pitch has a slope, is too muddy or has too much grass......or have Camelford got too much of an advantage because they have been able to spend thousands on one of the best playing surfaces in the league....No one questions whether that is fair or not !!

In terms of potential injuries, your GK may get the odd bump and bruise, but not half as much as the St Stephen keeper could pick up over the course of the season and there is the distinct possibility of the St Stephen's players picking up knee injuries from repetitive jarring, but that's for St Stephen to contend with not the other 15 teams in the division.

I have played on and seen teams play on similar pitches at Callington College, South Dartmoor College and Exeter Uni and to be honest I can't see what all the fuss is about.