Cornwall Football Forum

The Oxford FC

The Oxford's situation is that we are unfortunately not gonna be entering the league next season. This is due to lack of funds and assistance in the running of the club. I have been running the club for the last 3 years and due to lack of support, both financially and with the organization side of things, the club has had to fold.

I would just like to thank all the clubs for the very enjoyable matches we have played over the last 3 years and wish you all luck for next season. :thumbsup:

I would also like to thank all the players that have represented the club and turned up rain or shine, sober or not (ha ha). You have been top drawer! :smiley20:

Finally, many thanks go to the guys that run the Sunday League, i honestly think they do not get the credit they deserve especially David James. He does a fantastic job for this league and for all the hassle he has to put up with, he deserves all the credit he can get. :clapper:

Good luck for next season lads! :drink:

Paul, that is such a shame.

Is there no way that you can persuade someone to help you? If you can get someone else to do one or two of the simpler matchday jobs, then running the club is so much easier.

There must be a sponsor out there. If you're careful, it may not be too expensive - you have the kit and probably the players for a season.

Anyhow, if you can't keep going, well done for the last couple of seasons. Oxford has been a really well run club (Apart from the half-time refreshments!)

it is a real shame, especially as I have really enjoyed the last 3 years (apart from second half of this season i suppose). Is something that has become harder and harder. the lack of fixtures is something that has become hard to deal with as there is a lack of motivation for players when continually going sundays without games, also a lack of money coming in from player subs. the pitch costs a fortune for 10 home games? prob works out about £60 a game!!!! Its just not feasable to run a team on these costs.

Gutted mate. I've enjoyed playing for you ( had to watch how that was worded! ). You have done a fantastic job. I've had an insight into how challenging it is to run a club after seeing my old man at Holmans and Four Lanes. Difference is he had the support and help of a chairman and treasurer at both clubs. All credit to you my friend.

Shame, massive shame. As a Oxford player, id like to thank Paul for introducing me to the Sunday League and despite all of my moaning he has to put up with, id like to say he's a top bloke and hope he does well in his next footballing move, whether as a player or manager.

Also id like to thank him for last years Peter Hickey cup final which was one of the most enjoyable days ive had in a long time (not just the game or the trophy i wouldnt let go of, mainly due to the "refreshments" we all had after the game!!!) and many other good mornings i spent in a Oxford shirt.

I would also like to point out that this highlights the difficultly of running a team, as i no Paul put an awful lot of effort into taking charge at Oxford (as his hair-line would suggest!!!) but im sure that many other managers and people in charge of other teams are struggling to sort things out too, which (jugdeing by what is written in other topics) may lead to a six team sunday league next season. :c:

Actually 8 teams ...........but never mind certainly never stops you having a pop at how we try to run the league :P:P:P:P

Paul was one of the most efficient guys that I had the pleasure of working with ......

pity YOU the players obviously did not give him enough help !!!!

Thanks for the kind comments guys. (sounds like I have died!!!!!!) :o

As I previously said, it is a real shame. The sunday league is a cracking league to be involved with and I would definately reccommend it to anyone wishing to enter a league. :clapper:

There is no reason for the team to not continue, if someone was to come forward and manage the team. I would be willing to offer help as and where needed. I have been fortunate enough to have a great bunch of lads (and callum, ha ha), and with a couple of additions to the squad it has the potential to be a very good team. :thumbsup:

Actually 8 teams ...........but never mind certainly never stops you having a pop at how we try to run the league :P:P:P:P

Paul was one of the most efficient guys that I had the pleasure of working with ......

pity YOU the players obviously did not give him enough help !!!!

Actually zebedee, one of the major reasons Paul had so much trouble with running the team is because recently the Oxford pub pulled the plug on the football team, leaving the club in the lurch financially right at the end of the season and us (obviously selfish) players could not all raise the finances required to pay all the fees.

Personally i think the Oxford FC / Redruth AFC will not survive as i doubt anybody will have the time or level of commitment Paul had when it came to running the team. Paul was Oxford FC and now he is gone (he's still alive i must stress) i feel the club will follow, it pains me to say. I hope im wrong.

Also, I apoligise for my ill-informed comments on a six team sunday league, i was un-aware that it had shot up to eight teams. Is that going to be one league of eight teams or two divisons of four teams each?

Sad to see any team fold ..but reality must come first ..........can we afford to carry on ???

In this case it seems to be no .

Hopefully ALL teams will look closely at their finances first before entering a team next season ,as their is nothing worse than a team pulling out mid season .

With CCFA adding another £20 to the affilliation fee ( what do you get for that ???) and the referees mileage allowance going up (fair enough with petrol cost now ) all teams will shell out a load more money every game now for certain.

I dare say the teams insurance premium will also rise along with Council pitch fees etc ...so suddenly a £2 match fee will have to more than double to £5 to start with .........then you get more players come up with .."I WILL PAY NEXT TIME " and never do .

How many secretaries / managers pay PLAYERS monies and end up £100`s out of pocket by seasons end ???

What started out as a fun idea to play football suddenly turns into a financial nightmare...................

SO PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE TAKING THE PLUNGE AGAIN !!!! ;) :unsure:

it is a real shame, especially as I have really enjoyed the last 3 years (apart from second half of this season i suppose). Is something that has become harder and harder. the lack of fixtures is something that has become hard to deal with as there is a lack of motivation for players when continually going sundays without games, also a lack of money coming in from player subs. the pitch costs a fortune for 10 home games? prob works out about £60 a game!!!! Its just not feasable to run a team on these costs.

SHAME PAUL. CAN'T YOU FIND A CHEAPER PITCH SOMEWHERE?