Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL Div One - next season

Don't know anything about St Stephens Borough or St Dominick to make a comparison, but to give you an example of how different teams that have come out of the Duchy League have faired this season...

We at Bere Alston were in title contention until the last week of the season and finished 3rd and got promoted courtesy of the league restructure. St Newlyn East (big side) started poorly, picked up after Christmas and finished in mid table. Polperro were very inconsistant, played some good stuff and had a good run until easter then tailed off and just missed out on promotion, whereas Lifton were cut adrift and didn't win a game all season, have one game left and have only got 3pts. So you can see there is quite a contrast in fortunes.

Of the teams still in Div One from this season, Nanpean are a good side on their day, especially at home and Callington Res started to get a few results towards the end of the season and will be stronger next season. Holsworthy Res have a very good striker but are awful at the back and Roche will do better if they get a goalscorer as their GK is very good and they don't concede too many just can't put them away at the other end.

By all accounts Bodmin Res who have been relegated from the Premier Division are very poor, but the biggest test will be the new applicants such as Elburton Res and Parkway Res as they will of course have the facilities, resources and back up of their SWPL counterparts.

One team I do expect to have a bigger impact next season will be Bude Town.

They are a very young side and towards the end of this season played a lot of their successful U18 squad who will have benefitted from the experience and will come out stronger and more aware next season.

However, the biggest question will be how will all these teams fair on the ASTRO at St Stephens Borough next season??? :wacko:

Having played both St Stephens Boro and St Dominick in recent years, I believe that both teams will fare well in the ECPL Div 1.

The comment above by Coach KT about us at Polperro AFC is spot on, we had a really good start to the season but eventually injuries and suspensions caught up with us and we tailed away due our small squad.

Therefore, if you are willing to take a bit of advice, get as big as squad as you can because the games come thick and fast compared to Duchy football.

Guest ECPL Supporter

A couple of interesting points. Have Bodmin definately been relegated? And have St Dom also been promoted? I was under the impression only 1 team were coming up. Just like to comment on Roche as well, a very very good team in my opinion. They came up to our place in the cup and gave us a bit of a scare. They were hard to break down and we only beat them 2-0 (which flattered us really- they deserved to at least take us back to their place). So going on that evidence, and the fact they finished mid table suggests to me that it is a strong league and both teams (if it is both) may have to climatise pretty quickly to compete- which i'm sure they are capable of