Cornwall Football Forum

Change of ECL name???

Guest footy_lad2345

Guest footy_lad2345

Just wandering....

Due to all the teams currently playing (and the 3 or 4 new ones expected to enter) from Devon in the EAST CORNWALL leagues shouldn't the league name be change to suit???

My personal opinion is there is enough teams in that region to make their own competitive league, so why dont they?

Midweek games for all teams involved are a pain with players struggling to make early k.o's and the expense of actually getting to the games is also high. Surely more localised leagues would make more sense?

Just would like to know if any other current EC players agree?

Guest thebigfella

The 'local' league for these Plymouth-based teams in the P&WDCL... Unfortunately, it's crap!

Are the Cornish boys worried? The ECL Cup went over the border for the first time this season, as did the inaugral Division One title last... worried you'll never see it again?!!

All joking aside, the intoduction of the Devon teams will do nothing but strengthen the quality of the league as a whole. Gone are the days of re-election and the old pals act. This is a proper, competitive and healthy football league with a very bright future.

Unlike the P&WDCL which is doomed and destined for two divisions of pub football.

As for the travelling? Come on boys... it's only Plymouth for christs sake!! Surely much easier to get to than Godolphin, Sticker, Bude and even Camelford. Tamarside is literally right over the bridge and turn left, Parkway will be 5 minutes further on than that, while Elburton is really only another 10 or 15 minutes further again...

This is a great league. I wish I was still playing in it!! Enjoy it... In years to come you'll look back with fond memories over your battles with the Devon boys!!

Guest Grandson of Jimbo

ECRL, East Cornwall Ringers League. 2008/2009. Get as many SWPL players in at the end of the season to deny teams a chance of winning the league. :c:

Guest thebigfella

So you'd rather teams 'rolled over' and let opponents win the league then? Surely that's less sporting than putting out your strongest available team!

I've had a throughly enjoyable season playing in the ECPL Division one, and I have had no problems with any of the "Devon" sides entering the league. Travelling is certainly not a problem as the infrastructure to Plymouth is far easier than the narrow Cornish roads ! ! !

Bere Alston, Tavistock, Lifton and Tamarside in the cup have all been very competitve games.

Its only the odd problem with certain teams playing SWL players in their side at times, but i'm pretty sure that happens at a lot of Cornish clubs as well ! !

I look forward to the possible entry of Elburton Villa, Plymouth Parkway, etc next season.

As for "Grandson of Jimbo", I'd rather have Plymouth sides competing than Truro City dominating the league every year ! No competition ! !