Cornwall Football Forum

Week St Mary 1 - 1 Bodmin Saints

A very good result! Saints played most of the game with ten men. W S M equalised on the hour. I'm told we should have shaded it. Well played Saints.

Dave Jeffries scored Saint's goal and takes him to 53 leaue goal this season with possibly two games still to play. DJ scored 52 last season. Arguably the county's top junior striker.

Hi Arti, right now it looks like we will get second place behind W S M. With just two defeats this season and three draws, we're gonna finish second unless Calstock can beat W S M. We are still top and have been since before Christmas but they have games in hand. It's gonna be a hell of a finish. We still have to play Lostwithiel and maybe Gerrans. Gerrans are suspended for now.

Pablo,

A little more on todays game,

Saints started at a good tempo taking the game to Week, DJ had an early 1-on-1 chance that the keeper smothered. On balance of play Saints shaded the first half, Hickers had a good chance with a couple of half chances for Week. Second half Week woke up and realised there was a title to play for and started to take the game to Saints who took the lead on about 50 mins when the keeper spilled a cross leaving DJ the simplist of tap in's. Your chap was sent off on about 60mins so not quite the whole game (shame coz there wasn't a bad tackle in the game and it was played in great spirit with mutual respect and great atmosphere in pub after), obviously Saints were up against it from then with Week equalising on about 75, after that your keeper pulled off two incredible saves and there was an unbelieveable goal line clearance from your little midfielder (AC??) although I'm not overly sure how much he knew about it.

Draw fair result, league - who knows yet Saints have Lostwithiel and Week play Calstock in a fortnight aswell as tough trips to Lanreath and Roche. Plus with the Gerrans issue as an extra complication and with no mid week games fixtured Week might not finish till mid May so you could have a wait on your hands.

It must be said though this season Duchy 3 has been a credit to junior football.

LP

Leftpeg, thanks for filling in more details, much appreciated. My own account was not altered in favour of B S, it was given to me by mobile. I live in Sussex and couldn't make it to this game. I may have taken the message wrongly, I believed we played an hour with ten men but as you point out we played an hour with eleven and thirty minutes with ten. It was a mistake on my part but unintentional.

Now back to your report: thanks again for filling in the gaps. As you point out; it could be a while before finality and I agree one hundred percent; Duchy league three has been and is a credit to junior football. I have been informed the standard in three is possibly higher than div' two. I sincerely hope Bodmin Saints get the opportunity to find out next season. They, and manager Martin Hicks, certainly deserve it.

I think you will be fine as long as you don't let it slip against Lostwithiel,

its the Gerrans situation that is going to make things interesting, both Lostwithiel and WSM both dropped points down there whilst Calstock and Saints have yet to play them twice. Hence L'iel and WSM could stand to effectively "get points back" and BS and C'ck may not get the chance to play them again if all results are expunged. I suspect this may be something to do with the delay as two teams won't be happy either way!

Hi LP, surely if L and W S M get points back then Saints should be awarded a win. They were prepared to play. Gerrans weren't there. W S M have already had the benefit of one of one of these situations, re: Bere Alston.

It's a lousy situation and unfair to keep all the teams waiting. Even Pensilva are involved in this from the other direction. One can get the uneasy feeling the league don't have a clue what to do with this. Personally I think Gerrans should complete thier season and ultimately be demoted. However I do happen to know they are as much in the dark as the rest of us. In fact; I hear they have no idea what is going on at all.

I don't think we'll slip up against Lostwithiel, though no feathery friends are being counted. LOL

I didn't mean they would actually get points back, just when the league takes two games off their records Lostwithiel and WSM would only lose 3 and 4 points respectively where as BS and Calstock would lose 3 each but not get the chance to play for the other 3 hence benefiting Lostwithiel the most. It'll come out in the wash - I'm probably not explaining myself very well.

I agree that Gerrans should finish the season and be demoted to div 5, this is exactly what happened to South Petherwin a couple of seasons ago, from what I've read I'm not sure this is any different, I suppose the problem is proving in how many games this happened, was it just the Roche game or many more? I suspect the league just can't be sure of how many results to overturn if they stay in.

Like you say it must be just as annoying for the Gerrans players having their football taken away and not knowing what's happening. I hope this doesn't decimate their club as i remember from the South Petherwin incident all club officers were banned from the league and sometimes it is key people who run these clubs with others not so keen to take on. South Petherwin had to leave the Duchy league for the Kingsley league to keep going.

I just hope a speedy solution is on the horizon!

Yep, agreed. No-one likes to see a club fold at any level. Even if the bad administration wasn't intentional; Gerrans need to be seen to be punished. A demotion would be fair punishment.

But, it is time the league made a decision for eveyone concerned.