Cornwall Football Forum

SOCCER

this weekend in a local pub one of the regulars said to me you play that soccer game dont you. now i know we live in a county where rugby is probaly the top sport but i just dont like the word soccer . rugby was only invented because some idiot picked up the ball in a football match and ran with it . rugby should be either rugby union or rugby league . and football is football not soccer . anyone agree ? :angry:

oh yeah and then someone started up a cornish football forum and called it cornish soccer ( would you believe it ) :thumbsup:

Perhaps not surprisingly, I like the word "soccer" mostly because it helps avoid confusion over here in the States, and everybody knows what "soccer" is, even if they call it "football."

(In the same way, the only politically correct terminology I like is "Native American" because it helps distinguish indians from Indians, if you see what I mean.)

"Soccer" is just a contraction of "association football" anyway, so it's really like a nick name!

FOOTBALL IS FOOTBALL, NOT SOCCER :angry2:

The game was invented in ENGLAND, therefore the ENGLISH made it what it is today and we named it FOOTBALL. As we speak ENGLISH and I'm fairly sure that the Americans do too (even if it is somewhat bastardised), the correct term for this game is FOOTBALL...

I don't give a damn if the American's find it less complicating if we call it soccer, it's bloody FOOTBALL. They created their own weird sport, so give it it's own weird name. Don't take the name of our beautiful game and add it to the name of their weird game just to hopefully give it some sort of significance.

Why do the Americans call their rugby game FOOTBALL? Look at it this way FOOT and BALL so why do they call a game which is played 95% with the hands football.

As in most things American it is a little bizarre. Anyway their football game is just about a bunch of drugged up fatties who have to take oxygen every 5 minutes or so to keep going. And use tin hats and grills and pads all over their bodies. Their players are more like guided missiles whose job it is to hurt someone.

SOCCER sounds like thumping your girlfriend or wife.

The correct name in this country is Association Football.

The FA is (The Football Association)

UEFA is (Union of European Football Associations)

FIFA (Federation de Football Association)

And guess what the yanks call it (United States Soccer Federation)

football all the way from me!!!

soccer is only for americans because football over there is american football.

as for rugby.........whatta load of sh#t!!!!! All this stuff about rugby being a mans game.......yeah course it is!!!! putting your head between another blokes legs......"men only in this game" ha ha ha

COYS

FOYG

Yeah its football all the way for me and to be fair most countrys call it football aswell. Only the Americans, who call it Soccer and the Italians, who call it Calcio (roughly translated into English as Kick-Game) call it anything other than football!

Hey Sammo, why did you think of that? I think you gotta little too much time on your hands myself!!! :D :c:

I'm gonna forgive Coopsie his rampant anti-Americanism because of his great taste in avatars. :D

As for things being given an American twist, isn't it true that most English are reluctant to use French words like 'buffet' or Ypres, instead prefering "buffey" and Wipers? Actually, it doesn't matter if it's true, I suppose, so never mind.

And most of our football players are not drugged-up; you're thinking of baseball. :P

In some defense of our football, the game used to be played more with the feet, until the invention of the forward pass in the 1920s.

But when in Rome . . . I'll try to remember to call it "football" in our discussions! :c:

Guest Bushranger

I have to admit to regularly saying the word soccer but only to be understood, victoria australia (where i live)is aussie rules mad,it is referred to as football which i hate ,only my fellow pom and scottish friends refer to the world game as real football!!!what makes things worse is they call rugby union and rugby league football too so it can be a tad confusing at times!

"SOCCER" :SM_carton::SM_carton: :SM_carton:

this weekend in a local pub one of the regulars said to me you play that soccer game dont you. now i know we live in a county where rugby is probaly the top sport but i just dont like the word soccer . rugby was only invented because some idiot picked up the ball in a football match and ran with it . rugby should be either rugby union or rugby league . and football is football not soccer . anyone agree ? :angry:

oh yeah and then someone started up a cornish football forum and called it cornish soccer ( would you believe it ) :thumbsup:

William Webb Ellis that was Sammo......... must have been pretty shit at FOOTBALL but has still mnade it famous, that isn't fair.

We hear the word soccer a lot at Storm because our club president lives there, and we are playing at FC Dallas againt either their reserve or CPD side this summer, as an exhibition before FC Dallas v LA Galaxy.

But if you ask me Sammo I will always be a FOOTBALL fan and that won't change!