Cornwall Football Forum

Okehampton appoint Miller

20 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Best of luck to Kevin Miller, one of the all time great Cornish players. Remember though that he didn't last long as boss at Exmouth, and it's a pretty select group of goalkeepers who've made decent managers.

Gosh, I’d forgotten about Kevin Miller ever being at Exmouth; it feels that Kevin Hill has been there for ages now. It was only 2017-18 when Kevin Miller was at Exmouth but just for three or four months.

An ex-Watford player just like Neil Price at Launceston (who has far more managerial experience albeit from a fair time ago). Not sure what to make of it in terms of Okehampton’s proposed future direction: a “declaration of intent” in terms of a name but not necessarily with respect to managerial experience or coaching background. Two quite different things of course.

Piecing the Okehampton story together it appears Luke Alden and Bradley Ausden were manager and assistant manager - as well as players - when they returned from Willand Rovers. A manager from outside the club came for a while but this season the team was run by Chris Wills who has a long association with the club.  

An even more interesting club to watch especially as, after a bit of online digging, there looks to be plenty of business expertise at the club aside from the chairman. 

39 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Have my doubts. The ground is pretty poor really. Needs a lot of money spent.

It's effectively part of a public park which has other sports facitities. Can't imagine there being anywhere else in the town for football - plenty of land to the north being gobbled up for housing at the moment - nor the current ground being used as anything other than a green space. It has to be the place for the club; a question of how much money and commitment at the club's disposal alongside what they'll be permitted to do in such surroundings. In such an open landscape even the erection of a boundary fence may need a fair amount of discussion and negotiation

43 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

It's effectively part of a public park which has other sports facitities. Can't imagine there being anywhere else in the town for football - plenty of land to the north being gobbled up for housing at the moment - nor the current ground being used as anything other than a green space. It has to be the place for the club; a question of how much money and commitment at the club's disposal alongside what they'll be permitted to do in such surroundings.

Okey feel quite similar to Mount Gould of the Devon League. They also have a strong group of players who dropped down a level or two, but cannot realistically progress any further due to pitch and ground constraints (they play on Tothill Enclosure in Plymouth, effectively a park pitch).

42 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Okey feel quite similar to Mount Gould of the Devon League. They also have a strong group of players who dropped down a level or two, but cannot realistically progress any further due to pitch and ground constraints (they play on Tothill Enclosure in Plymouth, effectively a park pitch).

I'd like to think Okehampton would be able to progress in a way Mount Gould can't at Tothill. But, yes, there have been similarities these past two or three seasons. Where will both be in four or five seasons time? Could be rather far apart or not at all.

Went to Mount Gould at the start of last season. There's a changing room block and a serving hatch for refreshments. Other than that it's portable dug outs and a rather fancy yellow pitch surround that can be erected and put away afterwards. If that's good enough for the Devon League - and that's all they want - then so be it. I thought it made for a pleasant Wednesday evening in August - when the weather was balmy - with a good crowd of football observers (the Great and the Good of Plymouth football; some of whom chose to look over the fence rather than pay the £2 admission). 

I don't know about such things but Mount Gould had the trappings of what I'd half-suspect an illegal rave to be: a number of people gathered in an unusual place to witness and participate in something that was rather interesting. I quite liked it for that. You wouldn't, of course, want to be at Davidstow or Tothill on a wet, windy February afternoon.

Interesting to see what happens at Mount Gould next season; they weren't getting so many big victories towards the end of the season than at the beginning.     

12 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

I'd like to think Okehampton would be able to progress in a way Mount Gould can't at Tothill. But, yes, there have been similarities these past two or three seasons. Where will both be in four or five seasons time? Could be rather far apart or not at all.

Went to Mount Gould at the start of last season. There's a changing room block and a serving hatch for refreshments. Other than that it's portable dug outs and a rather fancy yellow pitch surround that can be erected and put away afterwards. If that's good enough for the Devon League - and that's all they want - then so be it. I thought it made for a pleasant Wednesday evening in August - when the weather was balmy - with a good crowd of football observers (the Great and the Good of Plymouth football; some of whom chose to look over the fence rather than pay the £2 admission). A wet Saturday afternoon in February? Well, I wouldn't be there.  

Interesting to see what happens at Mount Gould next season; they weren't getting so many big victories towards the end of the season than at the beginning.     

Of course, the manager of Mount Gould's all conquering P&D side many years ago was current multiple promotion and trophy winning Plymouth Parkway boss, Lee Hobbs.