Cornwall Football Forum

Sports Personality of the Year?

Guest Ronin

Guest Peppermint

I have to agree Joe Calzagie was a worthy winner and winner being the operative word!

I think Ricky Hatton would have won it if he had won the fight at the weekend and Lewis Hamilton perhaps if he had won the drivers championship.

Calzagie was a worthy winner and I am personally glad that the athlete who missed drug tests but was nominated did not win or the overrated tennis player Murray!

Guest crosser

Unlucky for toseland who was just pipped for third another world champ missing out

Sports Personality voting:

1. Joe Calzaghe 177,748 (28.19%)

2. Lewis Hamilton 122,649 (19.45%)

3. Ricky Hatton 85,280 (13.53%)

4. James Toseland 84,570 (13.41%)

5. Jason Robinson 67,061 (10.64%)

6. Paula Radcliffe 34,895 (5.53%)

7. Jonny Wilkinson 30,302 (4.81%)

8. Andy Murray 13,242 (2.1%)

9. Justin Rose 10,227 (1.62%)

10. Christine Ohuruogu 4,481 (0.71%)

Total votes: 630,455

Guest Peppermint

Good point Crosser. After all it is titled 'Sports Personality of the Year' and James Toseland besides being a World Champion is a talented guy musically and more of a personality and Jason Robinson is another who possesses a good personality.

Guest Sullivan

I thought this years Sports Personality was much better then last years, the BBC made more of a big deal with the whole event. Glad Joe Calzaghe won, last year was a farce!

Its about time that Joe Calzaghe got some recognition for his outstanding contribution to British boxing after all he has been a World Champion for the last 10 years. No other British sportsperson can get close to this record. But I believe that Ricky Hatton if he had beat Floyd Mayweather on Sunday morning he would probably won it but his time will come again no doubt as will Lewis Hamilton’s, but I agree with peppermint how could anyone who has failed to take a drug test guilty or not (Christine Ohuruogu) be even selected as a candidate for Sports Personality of the Year. What example is that to today’s youngsters who are taking up any sport?

Guest Peppermint

Quite agree Ronin - Bobby Robson is one of football's gentlemen and he was a good England Manager and club manager and with a little more luck might have taken England to a major final.

Guest Man on the Post

Peppermint is obviously quite right, Andy Murray is overrated. I mean he’s only won 3 ranking titles in the 2 years since he turned professional and missing most of last season with a wrist injury is absolutely no excuse for languishing 11th out of 1500 players in the ATP world rankings. Peppermint has spotted that, at 20 years 209 days, Andy Murray’s best times are behind him! :D

Guest Peppermint

Your sarcasm is noted Man on the Post.

A few points regarding the inarticulate Scottish tennis player. Some of us remember his stupid and crass remarks before the World Cup Finals when he announced that whoever England were playing he hoped they would beat England and then he expected swarms of English people to pay big money to go to Wimbledon weeks later and support him!!!! Second point that I have made in another posting - it is Sports PERSONALITY of the Year and Murray has as much personality as one of the net posts at Wimbledon!!!

I appreciate he his ranked quite high in the tennis world but personality - you must be joking.

Guest Man on the Post

Sorry Peppermint, when you used the word 'overrated' I thought you were referring to Andy Murray's abillity on the court. Easy mistake to make! :D

Guest Peppermint

Sorry Man on the Post but my bee in the bonnet about we as English should support Scotland but the Scottish supporters would never support England was rearing its head again. I agree Murray does look if he may one day have a chance of winning Wimbledon but as always too many expectations will be placed upon him like Henman and we all know what happened there.

Guest Peppermint

Very good r and l. Fletcher does not appear to have made the progress that a lot of United supporters hoped for - very similar to O'Shea. With the new signings they have been pushed further into the background of the First Team Squad. No doubt they will both be in the squad for the Champions League match against Roma because a lot of players are being rested.

Yes you are correct and it looks if Wes Brown might be off because he has not accepted the new offer made by the Club.

I don't particularly like the guy and it would be a step down for him but I'd be happy to have him at Spurs. We've been linked with him in the past and lets face it, he certainly can't be any worse that the defensive options Spurs currently have. How much do you think he'd cost?. When does his current contract actually expire?.

Guest Peppermint

It must be soon Coopsie because he and his agent have had talks with United and a few offers have been made regarding a new contract and Ferguson has stated that United will not offer anymore so I would expect him to go. Probably in the Summer.

Thanks Peppermint. redruth_07, I agree with you mate. He would be a good addition to our squad and hopefully as you say, we'll make a move in January because surely Man utd would rather get a couple of million for him then instead of letting leave for absolutely nothing in the summer.

The question is, "would he consider a move to Spurs"?. Although he and Jenas and Defoe are all close mates.

Spurs can have Brown in the January transfer window and United can have Berbatrov at the same time!!!!

"Seems a fair swap to me Peppermint".. Mr Jewell, are you winding me up sir??. ;)

Tell you what Peppermint mate, Give us £10million plus Carrick and Brown and you have yourself a deal.