Cornwall Football Forum

Eric Wood

Rickywood2014

First of all can I once again say thank you to everyone involved at Hayle FC for your continuing support after the death of our grandad. Some people have asked for the details of the funeral so here they are:-

The funeral is taking place on 24/11/2014 at 12.00 at Treswithian Downs cemmatorium. My nan has asked for no flowers and can donations be made to McMillan Nurses. If you can't make the funeral we will be at Hayle Football Club afterwards for a few Pasties and a Pint.

it was decided at our last meeting that the small stand that Eric watched footy

would be named the ERIC WOOD STAND. Eric was a strong supporter of youth

players being given the chance to play mens football. sponsoring the club for many years.

the whole club is in mourning for a real gentleman. rest in peace Eric, you will be missed

by everybody

John and Bella

That's a marvellous gesture John. Eric would be on the side lines watching a game every chance he got whether it was under 8s through to the womens side and was a tremendous supporter of all teams and the club in general. As you say a marvellous gentleman who always had advice for any person who needed it. Was very knowlegable about football and had a good sense of humour. RIP Eric from Me personally and all at Marazion Blues FC.

Paul Birch

Pleased to say I and many others spent good times with Eric either in the Hayle bar after the match "discussing" the game , at home and away games on the sidelines and on work nights etc.

Eric's comments to players and officials were brilliant and he always gave an honest opinion whether positive or negative. He always represented the club in the right way.

His interest in the youth set up at the club and how the boys were doing (I had three playing at various times ) showed Hayle was his club and it didnt matter whether we won or lost it was the fact they were playing the game that mattered.All my kids are saddened at the news.

He will be missed.

Neil and Sara Harris

Thank you for all your kind words. I for one know that even if you didn't want it you all ways got Pops opinion and I bet his up there now giving someone his pearl of wisdom.

John and Bella from everyone in the family can o say thanks for the wonderful gesture. I know Pop was proud of that stand and even convinced us all to buy seats and never seat in them as he loved to walk round the pitch.

Will miss Eric , having spent many hours in his company , he was a great friend to hayle afc , and I am glad the club will name the small stand after him , I bet he would have a few words about that , enjoyed his company and I am sorry to say I never managed to catch many bass for him as he loved his fish , a great wind up merchant and loved his banter of saying I wasn't a Cornishman and me saying he was a cockney , a top man and friend to many , we will all miss him Hope he has a good send off as he deserves that , my family are all sorry for your loss Steve , jan, Natasha and James bailey

• 3 weeks later...

Have had a few days since Eric's funeral and would like to say it was a very dignified send off for him with tears and laughter , he would have loved to know his family turned out in force and friends from football , it was emotional but when we had moments to reflected on his life I could here his voice in my head telling me to get a grip ( but in a more Anglo Saxon way) Rip old mate we will miss you but you will never be forgot .