Cornwall Football Forum

There are good refs out there...

A lot of refs get stick and I'll be the first to admit I have posted on here this season about one performance that we had to put up with but during my club 'Standard Inn' last two games we have been refereed by two of the best we have had. A recent defeat to St Teath and a win against Pelynt last night showed that the league does in fact have some good referees. That's not to say that the others we have had have not been good but these two in particular were brilliant. Like I said they do get a lot of stick at times, and rightly so occasionally but they are out there ..

At redruth utd in our recent game against st just we had a young ref who was brilliant! As a player I'm terrible for getting on a ref's case but this young man was approachable, reffed a game in horrendous conditions and did it well and maintained control throughout. As manager for the day I made the point of telling Steve carpenter what a great game the lad had as I'm sure he gets plenty of texts and calls criticising ref's.

There are a LOT of good refs out there. It's just a shame that we only hear about the ones who have a poor game or the ones that people feel are exceptional.

If you count the number of decisions that a ref has to make throughout a game (even the basic ones of throw ins, goal kicks as well as the fouls, offsides, whether to play advantage, whether the linesman has called correctly, etc) it's small wonder they get some of them wrong. The same way that players make the wrong pass, misjudged headers and tackles.

The majority of referees get the majority of these right and it tends to be the critical ones that get scrutinised. Even the top refs have their decisions scrutinised in these circumstances and don't always get them right so for a guy who turns up on a Saturday for not a huge amount to allow a game to take place they can't be expected to be a world class's ref. But they should be thanked for the efforts they make to do their best.