Cornwall Football Forum

Can money really buy you everything??

Guest Cornishdave1980

Guest Cornishdave1980

I watched all the prem games yesterday(Cyprus privilages) and having the top 3 i came up with some observations. The Chelsea game clearly highlighted that Chelsea are reliant on 2 players, Fat Frank and Drogba. Whilst Blackburn were extremely resilent Chelsea appeared lost for ideas, their bench had no real impact and whilst they were unlucky to have the goal disallowed this self proclaimed champions team should not be dropping points at home. Will Jose be shopping in Jan, i think so as he will be out the door come May if they don't deliver!

Moving on to Liverpool who were one of the largest spenders this season, Rafa decided to rest players which seemed to bafal the commentators, who are easier Portsmouth away or Porto??? anyway again it showed that until Gerrard and Torres got on the pitch Liverpool were slightly lack luster. Harry appears to have bought well and they will be extremely difficult to beat at home but their away form needs to improve if they want a euro holiday.

Arsene Wenger for me is a magician, just when the knives are out for him and his team at the beginning of the season he pulls out a little trick that puts them top of the league, whilst the above 2 managers rotate Arsene plays the strongest team available to him and boy do they respond, and if im not mistaken he has hardly spent a penny on this team this season??? As for Spurs need i say any more, a Fantasy Football managers dream in attack, but surely Martin Jol should have taken his hand out of the sweety jar when he was full and bought some defenders/midfilders.

Does anyone else have any view points, am i completely blinded???

:thumbsup: :c:

cornishdave, youre absolutely spot on. The whole of the planet could see that spurs needed atleast 1 new midfielder that can grab a game by the balls and actually dictate the play. EXCEPT Martin Jol.

Arsenal have Fabregas/Gilberto/Rosicky, Chelsea have Lampard/Makelele/Cole/Essien, Liverpool have Gerrard/Alonso/Sissoko/Benayoun, Man Utd have Scholes/Hargreaves/Carrick/Giggs/Ronaldo...... All of the "big 4" have absolute quality in the middle of the park and what do Spurs have?. Jenas/Zokora/Tainio/Huddlestone/Malbranque/Lennon.

Out of the spurs players I mention, the only ones with a grain of talent are Huddlestone and Lennon (who I think is over-rated by the way). Jol spent very well on Gareth Bale and Younnes Kaboul. Bale gives that much needed left sided player we were missing and Kaboul gives us some quality depth in defence. However, where is the quality Central midfielder that everybody could see was missing except Jol?. He spent £5.7million on a young lad called Kevin Prince Boateng who was voted the best young player in Germany last season. This lad apparantly has a real bite in his tackle, breaks up play with consumate ease, Has superb vision and passing ability and never stops working throughout the whole 90 minutes.

Where is this guy now?. In the reserves "gaining experience" because JOL doesn't think he's ready just yet. Taking into account that this lad was the best young player in the Bundesliga last season and is rated as one of the best prospects to come out of Germany in the last 25years, why would he only be good enough to play for Tottenham Reserves?. I'll tell you why, because Jol is a tactical dimwit.

Could you imagine where Arsenal or Man Utd would be right now if Wenger and Ferguson had decided 10 years ago that their "youngsters" weren't ready just yet?. If a player is good enough, he is old enough. At spurs we have a posse of youngsters who are respected and adorned not just in England but throughout Europe. It's extremely well advertised and documented that Spurs have snapped up some of the most sought after young talent from around the country and the world. Where are they?. Oh yes, in the reserves.

Martin Jol does not have the backing of the Board and it's clear to anybody that he comes up extremely short if compared tactically to most of the managers in the league and probably around Europe. He is clearly a very nice bloke with a love for the game and indeed Tottenham Hotspur FC, BUT he's had his day, took the club as far as he can and should now graciously step aside so that Fabio Capello can take the reigns and push us on to another level.

One last thing though. I'm as unhappy as any Spurs fan with the signings that we have made BUT although I blame Jol's tactical ineptness for the way we are performing, I also have a feeling that he didn't actually want to sign the players that were signed. I'm fairly sure that particular masterstroke is down to Spurs's director of football (or something like that) Damien Commolli. However, this is the guy that worked under Wenger in France and Japan and the man that Wenger wanted at Arsenal to fill a similar roll to what he does at Spurs. Perhaps with a real manager at the lane, his signings would be given a chance and Spurs would be able to compete with the big boys on the pitch as well as they can off it?.

Guest Cornishdave1980

Thanks coopsie for a proper reply i did some what believe Charley missed my point.

You make some valid points about Spurs, i am the same as you if you spend over 5m on a player he has to be playing,no questions. I do however feel sorry for Jol because the board have placed a stupid amount of pressure on him and given him little time to adapt the team to the new players. Maybe in 7 months time they might be offering him a new 5 year deal, watch this space.

Is that a fruitful rumour about Capello or is there something in that comment?

Capello is very good friends with Damien Comolli and has openly stated that he'd love to manage in the premiership. Therefore it's logical to assume that the "club sources" that have said Capello has been "sounded out" for the post may well be speaking the truth. We all read how Jol has told Defoe to "sign a deal or rot in the reserves" BUT today Defoe has come out saying that he has "No intention of leaving and want's to fight for a place in the team". I think that the rumours of the fight between Defoe and Jol were true BUT also think that somebody from "upstairs" has had a word with Defoe and told him not to worry because it wont be long before Jol is gone.

Another name in the frame is Marcello Lippi. He just happens to be very good friends with Daniel Levy (our chairman) and a certain Joseph Lewis (The actual owner of ENIC and therefore owner of Spurs). Both Capello and Lippi are available and with the contacts they both have within the club, why is it not inconceivable that one of them will be offered/given the job?.

cornishdave, I see your point abpout the board not giving Jol much time to adapt the team to new players BUT he's never going to be able to get them to adapt if he doesn't even play his new signings is he.

People go on about the money that has been spent and they do have a point. The thing is that it doesn't affect us financially because Joseph Lewis who I mentioned earlier in this post is only preceeded by one man when it comes to being the richest in English football club ownership and we all know that he's at Chelsea. That's why we must act quickly and replace "nice guy" Jol, because if we don't, Mr Lewis and his money could decide to go elsewhere and call it a day at Tottenham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Lewis_%28British%29

Guest Cornishdave1980

Fair play coopsie you do know your club inside out, i believe since the day Jol tactically lost your Q/Final with Chelsea in the FA Cup his cards have been marked by the board. Unfortunately for him that was a big pill for the board to swallow.

Even bigger pill for the supporters to swallow cornishdave. Then he followed that by somehow blowing a 2 goal lead against Arsenal in the semi final of the league cup. Tactically naive and time is running out. Every time he gets the lead he panics and doesn't know what to do, once again proven on saturday afternoon.