Cornwall Football Forum

Moving to Newquay

Savo

Hi guys

Just thought I'd throw a quick post up on here, moving to Newquay beginning of April, just wondering what football is like in cornwall. Been living in dorset last 7 years and played dorset prem and wyvern combination football, just finished coaching Poole Town Reserves due to moving. Got an invite to see what Newquay AFC is like. Just wondered if anyone could give me an impartial view of football and clubs in the local area.

Cheers

Savo

Newquay are a great club to be involved in, they have a good kids and youth set up from ages 5-16, then they have 4 adult teams so you are bound to fit in somewhere. Like most non league clubs, they are all run by volunteers, it can be very frustrating but also very rewarding too.

Most Cornish clubs are like community centres, especially those based in villages such as St Dennis or Mullion, where the clubhouse serves as the main meeting place for everyone. You will have bingo one night, Euchre (Cards) another night, Disco etc, they get everyone involved. This does not always extend out to bigger clubs in the towns such as Newquay and Truro, but they are still a busy hive of activity most nights.

As far as football goes, the top level locally is the South West Peninsula League Premier Division (Step 6) although if you ask anyone, the standard is roughly the same as Western League Premier and facilities are generally much better.

If you love your football, you will fit in anywhere, Newquay is a great town with great people, go and see if you like the club, they tend to welcome all sorts of waifs and strays with open arms.

Cheers nemesis I'm definately going along to training with Newquay when move down, met up with Glynn when was down in January and he was very passionate about the club and seemed a really top bloke to, I just like to get as much information and views as I can before making a decision, think that's the Army in me lol, step 6 doesn't sound to bad either, I played all the way up at pro level when I was 16-17 year old and it's been all downhill since haha