Cornwall Football Forum

Can't decide what game to watch...

Newquay AFC are proud to host Cornwall U18's v Wiltshire U18's at Mount Wise Stadium - Sat 26th Nov, kick off 2.30pm.

The cream of Cornish Football or the future, you decide. No bias at all that 7 of the squad are Peppermints, home grown talent that the club and county can be proud of.

Good luck lads, see you tomorrow. If Tommy is reading this, I would like a team pic and one of the magnificent 7 before kick off if at all possible.

Cheers.

That will be home grown by the very successful Newquay Youth Centre FC and Atlantic Porth FC with very little or no support from Newquay FC over a 13 year period. Fortunately for you Mark Newquay are now reaping the rewards from the efforts of the 2 youth set ups since John Hodge amalgamated the clubs under the banner of Newquay FC a couple of seasons ago. Great for the town to have so many young players representing the County :)

For the record Jamie Lowry now plays pro at Chesterfield FC, Scott Bennets has a pro contract at Exeter City, Jake Gosling has an apprenticeship at Exeter City and Issac Vassell made his debut for Plymouth Argyle a month ago. All four players came through the ranks at Newquay Youth Centre FC, 1994 to 2008 :-)

Well it ended 1-1 with over 160 watching. If Cornwall select 7 Newquay players then it shows how good the current youth set up is. Cornwall had players from 10 different clubs, Wiltshire had just 6 clubs represented.

If people have a problem with Newquay, then it is precisely that, there problem. As a club, Newquay AFC are doing all the right things to progress and move forwards from ages 5 upwards.

Glad to see all those wet and cold saturday mornings starting to pay off for the good of football in Newquay, Derek!! Someone made a relevant comment re it's about all the boys who represent the county. There are too many who don't see the bigger picture, which is undoubtedly preparing players in the county to play at the highest level, regardless of who for!!

I totally agree with you Mark and the reason for your post.

Newquay are doing an excellent job from the age of 5 upwards and as a supporter of Newquay why shouldn't you not post how great things are going for the club's youth and that most of the cornwall youth is set up of newquay players, its what any other supporter would want to boast about and be proud of others to see.

If anyone has a moan or problem then surely the clubs they support or work with should focus on doing the same job as newquay and ensure the better players are given the chance and that the local county can see how good these players are to select them for the next levels. Such as Falmouth, Bodmin, and any other side with youth sides, get off your backsides and promote them to the counties rather than moaning what Newquay do well all the time.

Why have the county youth games taken place at Newquay of late? No disrespect to Newquay as its a fantastic club, but shouldn't they be moved around the county to give a wider range of people the opportunity to watch them play? fair enough if most of the squad are from that area, especially on a 'school night'!

There are clubs with good set ups in other areas that would attract spectators, Hayle, Penryn...maybe even Wendron? Or why not Truro?

I can't remember a county game taking place down that end of the county.

Please put me in my place if I am wrong and talking rubbish; and this isnt a go at Newquay or any other clubs - or the organisers. Just a question.

Thanks

The County Youth game v Wiltshire was the first U18's CCFA game at Mount Wise for some considerable time. They have been at St Austell and Penryn far more recently.

The West Cornwall Schools v East Cornwall Schools match tonight is a totally separate matter, Newquay is fairly central and were asked if the ground could be used, I'm sure others turned the opportunity down wishing to save their pitch for their own sides.

Just goes to show, Newquay AFC support Cornish Youth football regardless of who they play for.

I think Derek Martyn was just pointing out that Newquay AFC have only recently become involved in the youth footballers in Newquay.And he is absolutely correct,the childrens/youth football of Newquay goes back over 30 years,with the likes of the Choughs,Newquay Youth Centre and more recently Atlantic Porth.During most of these years Newquay AFC have had no involvement whatsoever.They have recently attached themselves to the good work of these previous organisations.Nemesis is probably unaware of this history,and therefore shouldn't really try to claim it's Newquay AFCs 'own work'.

Hopefully the Newquay club and Godolphin as well can sustain the success of youth football in the area,and provide opportunities for youngsters of ALL abilities to have fun within the game of football.

I think the County Youth organisers have a good look at which pitches are available to coincide with the fixture, it can't be easy for them to find a club who don't have a home game that day and who have the facilities and support to offer food after the games etc. Newquay AFC did an excellent job on Saturday - the after-match food was exceptionally nice (although I do like to see a bit of cake to top it all off!) and the pitch was in excellent condition (apart from the unavoidable cat poo in the goal mouth that I had to heroically dispose of ^_^ ). There was a very friendly atmosphere both during the game and in the clubhouse afterwards & I think Newquay AFC should be very proud of themselves- thanks for your hospitality :clapper:

We play on the best pitches that are available to us on the day of the fixture. We look at the SWPL fixtures on that day and decide which pitches are available and who will be kind enough to accommodate us. Newquay's pitch was in excellent condition and the changing rooms as good as most we will use. We had a good crowd thanks to some more excellent local publicity and the club's members were very generous in their hospitality towards both teams after the game.

All the venues we play at have always looked after the Cornwall Youth Team and Newquay were every bit as good as every other club.

Thanks to all involved.

Just to clarify, Cornwall Schools and Cornwall Youth are not the same establishment. The game tomorrow is being played at Newquay as it a an "East Cornwall" Home fixture and Newquay is the best central venue for the fixture. The west games are often played at penryn but have used other clubs in previous years ( St Day last season!).

If only getting a pitch was as easy as some of you think!! We are the schools FA are extremely happy with the support we get from all clubs and have been in contact with a host of senior re playing fixtures. Most senior teams have 2 sides so finding a suitable day for fixtures is difficult. We often play out home games at St Blazey, but have been in contact recently, and had good support from Saltash, Launceston and Wadebridge in previous years!!

Three seasons ago we played the SW Counties Final at Penryn and we've played there again since. We have also played at Porthleven (versus Dorset) and Penzance (versus Devon). We usually choose SWPL grounds mainly because they often offer the best facilities around, however we're aware of the likes of Wendron who have allowed us to use their ground for our trials.

Grounds also have to be able to prepare food for our opponents amongst other things. We always try to spread things around and try to give all areas of Cornwall the chance to host our games. Other grounds have been Launceston, Liskeard, Saltash, Torpoint, St.Blazey, St.Austell, to name but a few in recent years.

We are grateful for their cooperation, hospitality and support.

Thank you.