Cornwall Football Forum

Sunday 6th February Results+ announcement

"About time too!" I hear you cry as Billy Lamin announces his long overdue retirement from playing.

May I sincerely thank everyone that I've encountered during my 45 year, totally undistinguished, football career.

Can I say that I have enjoyed every game and had more pleasure from football than any professional could possibly have hoped for? In Cornwall. I've played for; Camborne Plough, Barripper, Godolphin Arms(Sunday) Nancegollan(Sunday) and for the last 18 years have run , and played for, Crowntown with Crowan in the Sunday League, insisting that they win the Sporting trophy with boring regularity - season after season

Yes, there have been some Muppets - but usually a smile and a bit of banter has sorted them out.

I have played a few times this season, but have reached the point where experience and positional sense can't compensate for the loss of pace and fitness. Even in Sunday league Division 2. Add to that, health problems, I have to be realistic and accept that I ain't coming back. Still, 62 isn't a bad age to finish at.

All the best to Cornish football - at all levels. Thanks for the journey ++++++++++

Guest man city fan

"About time too!" I hear you cry as Billy Lamin announces his long overdue retirement from playing.

May I sincerely thank everyone that I've encountered during my 45 year, totally undistinguished, football career.

Can I say that I have enjoyed every game and had more pleasure from the game than any professional could possibly have hoped for? In Cornwall. I've played for; Camborne Plough, Barripper, Godolphin Arms(Sunday) Nancegollan(Sunday) and for the last 18 years have run , and played for, Crowntown with Crowan in the Sunday League, insisting that they win the Sporting trophy with boring regularity - season after season

Yes, there have been some Muppets - but usually a smile and a bit of banter has sorted them out.

I have played a few times this season, but have reached the point where experience and positional sense can't compensate for the loss of pace and fitness. Even in Sunday league Division 2. Add to that, health problems, I have to be realistic and accept that I ain't coming back. Still, 62 isn't a bad age to finish at.

All the best to Cornish football - at all levels. Thanks for the journey ++++++++++

not many can say they played to 62.

you evan marked a young jake harvey out the game a about 5 years ago.

Gerald Sobey Shield 2nd leg

Tremough 2 v MPAD UTD 2 (MPAD UTD win 6 - 5 on aggregate)

Mitoo stills shows today's game as the league match between us, but after last week's frozen pitch postponement we agreed to rearrange the fixture.

Fairly even first half - Tremough play some very nice passing football, but seemed to fall short where it mattered most. Our slightly more direct style was creating chances and we took the lead just before half time when a corner was flicked on to Mike Cudlipp, who from 15 yards out did a lovely little scissor kick and scored.

HT Tremough 0 v MPAD UTD 1

Second half was again evenly matched, but by the time Tremough got their first equaliser with about 20 minutes to go - with their first shot on target, we should have been out of sight after creating several clear cut chances, which we failed to take.

But we were back in front within five minutes when Brett Southeard slotted home after the ball was once again flicked on from a corner.

Tremough then drew level for the second time with a very well taken free kick (and only their second shot on target) with 8 minutes to go. They then threw everything at us to try and get the goal that would take the match into extra time.

But we held firm and we're really pleased to have booked our first semi final appearance in this trophy, and our first semi final since we won the Peter Hickey Cup in 2008. :drink:

Can I say that I have enjoyed every game and had more pleasure from football than any professional could possibly have hoped for? In Cornwall. I've played for; Camborne Plough, Barripper, Godolphin Arms(Sunday) Nancegollan(Sunday) and for the last 18 years have run , and played for, Crowntown with Crowan in the Sunday League, insisting that they win the Sporting trophy with boring regularity - season after season

Congratulations on a 45 year playing career Bill. I guess that means that at 50, Chris Povey is probably the oldest player in the league.....

Cornwall Sunday Cup semi-finals

Carlyon Arms 4 Wendron 0 (played at Perranporth)

Truro GWRSA 4 Packhorse Inn 1 (played at Sticker)

From my point of view as a Carlyon Arms player I can't help feeling Wendron didn't really get going today. They had sporadic patches of play but were out played and out fought for the majority of the game. Our second goal seemed to deflate them and encourage us.The second half fight back never materialised, 2 further goals allowed us to play the game out comfortably. Have to say expected more from Wendron, they just seemed to lack any fight. I'm positive they are a much better team than the result suggests. Game was played in very good spirits, can't say I heard any Wendron players whinging or moaning at any decisions. Fair play to them.

Congratulations on a 45 year playing career Bill. I guess that means that at 50, Chris Povey is probably the oldest player in the league.....

Pete Foxwell of St Georges, Phil Cuthbert of Star, Ralph James of Booters, Laurence Ball of Crowntown are all over 50

That's incredible - there's hope for me yet!

From my point of view as a Carlyon Arms player I can't help feeling Wendron didn't really get going today. They had sporadic patches of play but were out played and out fought for the majority of the game. Our second goal seemed to deflate them and encourage us.The second half fight back never materialised, 2 further goals allowed us to play the game out comfortably. Have to say expected more from Wendron, they just seemed to lack any fight. I'm positive they are a much better team than the result suggests. Game was played in very good spirits, can't say I heard any Wendron players whinging or moaning at any decisions. Fair play to them.

Great finishes for three of your goals which would have graced any game.

Great finishes for three of your goals which would have graced any game.

Have to add some fantastic beards on display by both teams! Has to be the hairiest semi final I've been involved with.

Division 2 - St Georges 6 PZ Astropark 5 (H/T 1-3)

Crazy game which could've gone either way and probably deserved to be a draw, but was won by a decent St Georges side thanks to an injury time own goal. Both teams had the bare 11 players although perhaps if 3 of us had had more than 1/2 hours sleep between us we might've done a bit better! From what I remember (and that's a bit blurry) we led 3-2 with about 15 minutes left when it all went a bit goal-crazy. St Georges led for the first time, 5-4 with about 5 minutes left but we levelled it in the last minute, only to concede in injury time with almost the last kick(header) of the game. Pretty sickening to lose that way really but it was a great game to play in even in my self-imposed condition. Thanks to St Georges for playing the game how it should be played, you've got a cracking team spirit there and it reminded me that it's not all about undefeated runs but having a laugh with your mates. One request - get a pub to drink in after! Could've murdered a hair of the dog post-match pint.. :drink: See you in a couple of weeks at ours in the cup.

Astro scorers

Me

Josh Findlay

Pete Waller

Corey Howes

Own goal (forced by me ;) )