Cornwall Football Forum

Instead of supporting local talent, Truro look further afield!

Truro City to look at Canadian trialists for promotion from League's premier division

(West Britain - Thursday, July 08, 2010, 09:00)

TRURO City's search for a squad good enough to win promotion from the Zamaretto Southern League's premier division has taken them across the Atlantic.

Chairman Kevin Heaney has used his international contacts to give trials to four 19-year-old Canadian players.

And if they impress manager Lee Hodges enough they could earn themselves contracts with the club before the start of the new season on August 14.

The players – goalkeeper Tyson Farago, left-back Gaetan Infantino, striker Nicolas Gaignard and central defender Sebastian Grande – have already attended the club's training sessions and could even feature in Saturday's opener against Plymouth Argyle at Treyew Road (3pm) if international clearance comes through in time.

Mr Heaney said: "They are here for a trial period to show us what they can do.

"We are looking to get the best players we can to the club and that includes looking at those from overseas."

The four paid their own way to the UK and will play as non-contract players in pre-season friendlies.

Manager Hodges has already clinched his first new signing by snapping up 21-year-old former Argyle midfielder Dan Smith, from Saltash, who last season had spells at Conference sides Eastbourne Borough and Weymouth.

Hodges said: "Dan is looking really good in training and I am delighted to have got him, though I have told him if a League club comes in for him I will not stand in his way."

The City boss is also expecting to tie up his former Torquay United team-mate Steve Adams, who was on loan at City last year, shortly on a permanent deal. All of last season's squad, with the exception of Marvin Brown, are staying.

City returned to training last Thursday and Hodges said he was delighted with the players' fitness. The only player missing was Scott Walker with a continuing knee problem.

"The players all came back fit and had not put on any weight," said a happy Hodges.

And he intends to use Saturday's friendly, which will be Peter Reid's first game in charge of the npower League One club, to give as many players a run out as possible.

Former Argyle and Torquay striker Blair Sturrock attended his first City training session on Tuesday evening and former Exeter City defender, Frenchman Alex Jeannin, who suffered a suspected broken leg when on trial for Truro in a friendly at Bridgend before the start of last season, could also figure against Argyle.

● Both clubs will be unveiling their new kits on Saturday, which fans will be able to purchase.

● City entertain Falmouth Town on Tuesday (7.45pm).

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/sport/City-look-Canadian/article-2387579-detail/article.html

The headline should I expect read

"Instead of SUPPORTING local talent, Truro look further afield!"

There is NOTHING wrong with Truro City spreading their net in the quest of players, the local talent headline gives the impression it is a criticism of Mr Heaney's action, people were critical of Spurs when venturing to Argentina for Ardilles and Villa.

Where in Cornwall is the talent to compete at Zamaretto Premier League level?

I know names could be bandied around but would those who may or may not make the grade want to travel the 10,100 miles to play or sit on the bench for 21 away league games.

I apologise if the original posting wasn't meant as a criticism but few players of the standard Truro City require to play at the level so far achieved haven't the stomach for the effort competing for a Cornish club at higher national level requires.

If players from Canada are ambitious to try their hand at English football and Truro City become the stepping stone towards that, all the better, a conveyer belt of talent MAY be possible in future.

People in recent times,have always classified Truro's players as football gold diggers,only playing because of the club paying the wages.

What makes me think different is all the players from last season have returned to play again for the club,except Marvin Brown.

To me,it seems these players are loyal to Truro and are determined to get the club further up the football pyramid.

With the addition of some more players,Truro look like getting together a good squad.

Lee Hodges will be looking for a more successful season.

Good luck to all at Truro City.