Cornwall Football Forum

Fifa taking the biscuit again

(Taken from sky sports.com)

Fifa chief Sepp Blatter has revealed the Republic of Ireland could be in line for some sort of compensation for missing out on the World Cup.

Giovanni Trapattoni's men were denied a place at next summer's finals after Thierry Henry's controversial handball in the build-up to William Gallas' goal helped France overcome the Republic of Ireland in their play-off encounter

The Football Association of Ireland has seen requests for a replay of the game and an extra spot at the finals rejected by Fifa.

The issue continues to drag on and Blatter admits he would back Ireland's cause for "moral compensation" but ruled out any type of financial compensation.

Blatter revealed that football's governing body will meet with the FAI to discuss the situation with reports suggesting Fifa could offer the Irish a symbolic award as a result of Henry's actions.

"If you started to compensate teams not qualified you will have others coming to us," said Blatter

"But you are right when you see this kind of matter where the whole world has seen foul play, then maybe there could be some kind of compensation for Ireland.

"We will look at that. Yesterday Ireland withdrew their demands and they asked to meet with us and we will do that next week."

What possible compensation could you give a player who had a dream of playing in a world cup final tournament only for it to be taken away from a cheating frog?

Maybe a golden handshake from Thierry Henry (Oh no they already had that) :SM_carton:

I truly do understand the frustrations of Ireland but lets not forget the fact the were NOT denied any spot at the World Cup because of Henry, they were denied the game going to penalties! Yes Henry cheated, yes cheating should be cut out of the game as much as possible(but that wont happen until Sepp has 75 refs dotted around the pitch!!). As Roy Keane said perhaps they should look closer to home, McShane, Given, poor defending, poor finishing, Steven Ireland not willing to play, Andy Reid not being picked, poor results in other qualifiers. They should not hinge all blame onto one man! I feel for the players and would be devastated if it were England but lets look at the bigger picture, for me the only thing you can blame Fifa for is the whole seedings debacle 3 weeks before the draw and there stubborn refusal to except technology! How long would it have taken the ref to have a look at a tv replay and make a decision? But even so, Ireland had 210 minutes to score more goals than France but failed, several times!!

To be honest, I'm fed up of hearing about the bloody Irish. Goals win games and they had their chances, probably twice as many as France did over each leg... Get over it and move on..

I'm more interested in 17.00 this evening, and finding out how Blatter and co are going to rig the draw to ensure that they can once again crap all over our nation (the one we live in ;) ), but at the same time, give the likes of France, Germany and Portugal the best possible chance of advancing as far as possible :angry2:

The corrupt bastards :angry:

Guest Rob P aka class of 93

I truly do understand the frustrations of Ireland but lets not forget the fact the were NOT denied any spot at the World Cup because of Henry, they were denied the game going to penalties! Yes Henry cheated, yes cheating should be cut out of the game as much as possible(but that wont happen until Sepp has 75 refs dotted around the pitch!!). As Roy Keane said perhaps they should look closer to home, McShane, Given, poor defending, poor finishing, Steven Ireland not willing to play, Andy Reid not being picked, poor results in other qualifiers. They should not hinge all blame onto one man! I feel for the players and would be devastated if it were England but lets look at the bigger picture, for me the only thing you can blame Fifa for is the whole seedings debacle 3 weeks before the draw and there stubborn refusal to except technology! How long would it have taken the ref to have a look at a tv replay and make a decision? But even so, Ireland had 210 minutes to score more goals than France but failed, several times!!

:clapper: :clapper: